View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Charles1810

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 16:15 PM 

Player

When a cleric is in the study of becoming a cleric how do they go about picking their Domains? Are they chosen or are they simply bestowed onto the cleric?

((Please take note if you PM me and you are ignored resend to me in 1-3days, it is likely due to not realizing I got mail))

Ðraco

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 16:30 PM 

Player

Personally I always thought it was more of a bestowed thing, based upon the clerics own preferences. But I'm no priest :mrgreen:

slkNihilus

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 17:30 PM 

Player

I'm a bit confused as to what the question is exactly.
-Are clerical domains something a cleric must study? I'd say they aren't and that the they simply get to chose two
of their god's domains which suit them best upon become a cleric.
-Do clerics chose which domains they receive, or does the god randomly assign each person two domains? The cleric can choose. It says so. In pretty much all source material. :P

Charles1810

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 17:32 PM 

Player

Asking pretty much how they gain two domains, the process and ect with it.

((Please take note if you PM me and you are ignored resend to me in 1-3days, it is likely due to not realizing I got mail))

slkNihilus

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 17:44 PM 

Player

That isn't really explained, at least not that I'm aware. It just states that a cleric may select two domains upon creation (or taking a level of cleric in the case of multi-class characters). These domains must be from his/her deity's domains list and the Alignment domains (Law, Evil, Good, Chaos) must match the character's alignment. Other than that, there's very little to no information, at least in those books I've read.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that they are gained upon becoming a member of the clergy of a certain deity (ie cleric level 1) along with the other perks: divine spellcasting, turn undead, etc. From a RP perspective, I think it's logical to assume that one would train and study for an amount of time before being accepted into the clergy and thus gaining the respective powers.

So, in conclusion, I don't think a cleric would have to "go the extra mile" for their two domains, since it's all part of the package, as it were.

serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 18:01 PM 

Player

Yeah I don't think there is any definitive lore on it except maybe in 2nd ed where they seemed to set down a lot of lore. Guess it's mostly personal interpretation. I've always seen it as one's focus area in their worship of and service to the deity. The aspects of that deity which speak to the character, or the sort of thing they wish to embody or channel. "I like Orcus for his Destructive tendencies and pure Evil!" for example, shunning the undeathly stuff and not caring much for the chaos. Presumably part of your cleric training involves specific domain acquisition (in addition to learning to channel divine magic and positive/negative energy).

Actually... do the domains actually exist in the setting or are they just abstracts of the more tangible portfolios? I kind of assume abstracts (for whatever limited degree that this matters in) but I don't have a source. That would kind of affect how you acquire them, if you're focused on that for whatever reason you might have.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Dieu_Le_Fera

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 18:24 PM 

Player

Quote:
I've always seen it as one's focus area in their worship of and service to the deity.

Sums it up perfectly.

"It is by the holy beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning, it is by Java alone that I set my mind in motion."

Righteous Anger

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 19:16 PM 

Player

Well, clerics don't gain spells or abilities based on study. They gain them directly from the god they represent.

As far as I've always understood it, clerics and paladins don't choose to become clerics or paladins -- they are chosen to be so. That being said, it would make sense to me that the powers of the specific domains given to each cleric would be the domains the deity who chose them found most suitable to them and their divine purpose for them.

Estara

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 17 2012, 22:15 PM 

Player

Hmmm... I'm not sure that's right, RA. I don't think Gods always come and say "You're now a cleric of mine, whether you like it or not." Characters/mortals have a choice in whether they devote their life and actions to a God and gain that God's favor. Just like they make choices that Fall them too. They're not under control, they are Favored for the free choices that they made that honored the life and God they believe in. That said I don't think just anyone can become a cleric or paladin either. The God does have to agree and approve of you.

I like to RP Domains as cool specialty aspects of one's Willpower, especially when it comes to the Prayer boosts. I think I am the only drow who uses the Domains as often as I do on Elvis, partly because she's always super paranoid about people stabbing her so she likes her fireshield up as much as possible. I like to think Elvis chose what parts of the faith she aligns most with and developed these abilities because of that deeper connection. I don't RP them as automatic add-ons that just appear and surprise you because your God thinks those match best with you. If that was the case, Elvis's Domains probably -wouldn't- align as well as they do with her because Lolth is a being of Chaos ultimately and would randomly assign her hoes whatever she felt was best at the time most likely. And Elvis's Domains represent her very, very well.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 18 2012, 0:21 AM 

Player

It would depend entirely on the deity and how the character became a cleric. Character creation implies the character is able to choose which aspects of the deity they choose to exult but it could just as easily be RP'd as being given to them. Perhaps the character is from a long line of Lathanderans and as a result he automatically "Has" the Sun Domain when he enters the Clerichood, no choice involved. Perhaps when you make a pact with Asmodeus, he simply GIVES you domains that were specified in the fine print that you may or may not have read. Maybe when the High Inquisitor of Bane indoctrinates you, you are forsworn as The Hand of Fear and Tyranny In This Region and so you have the Tyranny and Hate domains "Bestowed" upon you by him, via Bane.

It's very open to interpretation and it's probably easy to list situations where it doesn't work than ones that do. I can't think of any reasonble thing that would be denied offhand outside direct deity intervention on a major level.

Quote:
Well, clerics don't gain spells or abilities based on study.

Ahh, this is actually untrue. Clerics CAN research new magic.

Quote PHB:

Quote:
Independent Research

A divine spellcaster also can research a spell independently, much as an arcane spellcaster can. Only the creator of such a spell can prepare and cast it, unless he decides to share it with others.

My going theory is that thruh ritual and prayer the cleric devises a new blessing/spell and if the god approves of it, he "Stamps" it (and probably Mystra too.) and thus it is new magic! epic Spells work the same way, even for divine casters: they must be researched.

Estara

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 18 2012, 0:34 AM 

Player

I would hope that anyone who researches new clerical magic does extensive philosophical and faith-like research to defend it much as a wizard would do extensive magical and logical study on theirs. Makes it far cooler to be a cleric than a wizard IMO! :P

I think some other obvious ones that would be auto-denied are anything that directly goes against what the God is about. For example, a chromatic disciple "redeeming" themself through Bahamut. Best not be happenin' yo.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]