View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Dergaii

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 29 2012, 22:30 PM 

Player

An aberration bloodline as the source of a sorcerers innate abilities: yay or nay?

Halecta

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 29 2012, 23:34 PM 

Player

Hard to think of how that could be done, since aberrations do not repruduce in traditional methods. So dont see how one could have had a human/demihuman mate in the distant past and made offspring with it.

Remal

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 29 2012, 23:48 PM 

Player

Magical mutations, experiments on ancestors, etc...

Xeorsos

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 30 2012, 0:53 AM 

Player

Remal wrote:
Magical mutations, experiments on ancestors, etc...

Exactly. If a dragon can have babies with a human, I don't personally see a problem there. Paizo's Pathfinder did a lot of really great work exploring the possible sources of arcane magic for a Sorcerer. None of it is 3.0 material, but as far as I know 3.0/3.5 material only ever provided three distinct sources of sorcery: dragon, celestial, and fiendish.

Personally, I don't see the problem with sorcery stemming from any inherently magical creature. I like the idea that wizards tend to have sorcererous children due to the huge amounts of arcane magic they're exposed to as a fetus. I also think that outsiders, fey, demons, devils, dragons, magical beasts, undead, etc are all just as likely to imbue a bloodline with sorcery potential.

But none of that is RAW. Just my opinion.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 30 2012, 1:43 AM 

Tester

Dergaii wrote:
An aberration bloodline as the source of a sorcerers innate abilities: yay or nay?

Very much possible. It could be from experiments I suppose, but most of the time the traditional sorcerous lineages pertain to genetic heritage. Meaning that an aberrant sorcerer would have an odd creature in his family background who's taint(or "gift" as some would say) manifests in them. Perhaps a mindflayer. They are originally humans anyway before the brain-slug thing morphs them, so AFAIK they could still breed with cattle. I mean humans. Perhaps a Naga, in some cases. For Drow, a Drider ancestor is a very possible source for an aberrant sorcerer.

I prefer not to think of other examples, however, as unions with most aberrations more or less sound like bad Aliens fanfiction.

Relevant if you're interested in similar stuff concerning bloodlines.

Dergaii

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 30 2012, 14:53 PM 

Player

Thanks for the replies and the added info. Much appreciated.

Gunz

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 30 2012, 18:31 PM 

Player

It's possible. Much more likely that certain creatures would mate with a Human, Hin, Elf, Gnome or Dwarf than others though. A Beholder, for example, would be very very unlikely. They absolutely -hate- anything that doesn't look like them. That's one among many reasons why not. Aberrations mating with people is likely very rare, but probably not impossible.

If you want to look into the nasty races known as aberrations, find yourself a copy of "Lords Of Madness - The Book Of Aberrations"

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 30 2012, 18:44 PM 

Player

The book Gunz cites does in fact have a specifically relevant reference. One of the monsters described in it is the "Half-Farspawn," described as the offspring of a mortal and one of the one of the denizens of the Far Realm:

Lords of Madness wrote:
Much as fiends produce terrible mortal progeny, certain entities of the Far Realm occasionally venture to the Material Plane to procreate. Sometimes the mortal parent is willing, a fanatical cultist or creature so debased in evil that he or she deliberately invites the union. Other times, the Far Realm being visits its horrible taint on whatever mortal creature best suits its abhorrent purpose. In any event, the half-farspawn is a creature in which the fantastically abnormal is cloaked in a guise of mundane flesh and blood.

Ravenovf

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 04 2012, 14:25 PM 

Player

I would imagine an Abbrent bloodline could also come from a family that has a long history of service to alien elder gods. C'thulu is your baby daddy! Or what ever alien horror beyond our understanding floats your boat.

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 04 2012, 19:40 PM 

Player

I believe you mean Yog-Sothoth.

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]