View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 19:30 PM 

Player

Selune and Sehanine Moonbow - Are they the same god under different aspects or is it 4.0 ?

And what is the dark moon heresy?

Maias227

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 19:32 PM 

Player

Its 4.0, they're not the same on Amia. Don't know anything about the second bit.

serbiris

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 19:36 PM 

Player

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Moon_heresy

"Take FR wiki with a grain of salt" applies, but since it's talking about beliefs and seems about right with what I know of it, I don't think there's anything to worry about. A 3.5 edition book is sourced on that page.

And as a rule of thumb, most of that "X is actually an aspect of Y" stuff comes up in 4.0.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Liz

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 19:44 PM 

Player

The Dark Moon Heresy is a fringe doctrine, that teaches people that Selune and Shar are really opposing faces of the same goddess, not separate rival deities. That much, at least, is 3.5 Ed. material.

The Selune = Sehanine stuff, like others mentioned, is 4th Edition, and therefore utter crap.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 19:57 PM 

Player

Lizzie wrote:
The Dark Moon Heresy is a fringe doctrine, that teaches people that Selune and Shar are really opposing faces of the same goddess, not separate rival deities. That much, at least, is 3.5 Ed. material.

So on amia the dark moon heresy exist.
Quote:
The Selune = Sehanine stuff, like others mentioned, is 4th Edition, and therefore utter crap.

now that sucks... I had such a great Idea.

Glim

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 20:09 PM 

Player

Very_Svensk wrote:
So on amia the dark moon heresy exist.

Exists, yes.

Is true or false? That's something entirely IC and shouldn't be answered OOCly imo :P (and I realize you didn't ask Svensk, but someone would have)

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 21:37 PM 

Player

Different gods at this point in our timeline.

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

Gunz

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24 2012, 23:19 PM 

Player

Totally the same Gods, all three.

j/k

IronAngel

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 26 2012, 8:25 AM 

Player

Eh, who knows. I think it's conceivable and even highly likely that there would be many cults and theologians who'd spot the obvious similarities and extrapolate on that. In many ways the Realms resemble the melting pot of Hellenistic antiquity, and I'm sure similar syncretistic tendencies would be rampant. Stuff like the Cult of Isis absorbed everything but the kitchen sink, and it seems very cool and believable that there would be a Cult of the Moon, a Cult of the Goddess (merging archetypical goddesses into one form, like Mielikki, Chauntea and Shar), and so on.

Just because Selûne and Sehanine haven't been OOCly stated to be the same goddess doesn't give your PC any less reason to believe in such a thesis. The matter of OOC veracity is irrelevant and even a little naive: gods are representations of human beliefs as much as they are seperate entities, they are amorphous blobs of divine principle, power and symbol. Gods can in fact merge or change if enough people believe in it - or so it would seem. The question of identity, therefore, is a little misguided one. The gods are anthropomorphized, and some of them may have been mortals once, but that doesn't mean they're individual persons like you and me. They are in flux, defined by the beliefs and practices of others.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]