View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
TheMadMage

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11 2012, 2:48 AM 

Player

Okay so I know basic D&D lore has mummies being priests that were cursed by dark gods, what I want to know is a two part question. 1. Does it require a god's curse, or could it be a god's blessing? 2. Is there such a thing as an arcane mummy that could do without divine power?

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11 2012, 6:59 AM 

Tester

It certainly could be a blessing, if you look at the Mulhorandi gods. Some priests are blessed to watch forever over the tombs as mummies and are regarded as protectors of the dead and traditions. They're considered sacred, so there's definitely that.

I'm not sure how one could become mummy without the intervention of a deity; that seems more like a lich or ghoul. The whole thing that separates mummies from other undead, as I understand it, is that they come to life as divine defenders or when certain holy traditions are broken(i.e. improper burial, dark magics that desecrate the dead). I guess they could be arcane, I'm not hugely up on undead things. But every situation I see in my head that comes from an arcane curse leads to something that looks more like others types of undead, rather than a mummy.

ValkinMulgin

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11 2012, 7:27 AM 

Player

In this thread

viewtopic.php?p=1016564#p1016564

I talk about how valkin ICLY maid a mummy, and how he perceives the creation of a mummy artificially through physical adaptations.

I also talked about it icly in my undead origins tome about were they come from how they are created.

viewtopic.php?p=1012325#p1012325

Under preserved undead. I think OCCly, and valkin Thinks ICLY, that the creation of the mummy just like "any" undead can be achieved through magic and the adaptation of physical changes to the body creature or energies.

So IMO i think someone could be turned into a mummy by a necromancer, as valkin believes that the occorance of a mummy has nothing to do with gods or blessings and is something that just happens in crypts when people get mummified and left in a place that can end up so closely linked to the negative energy plane through death. all that god dark or good blessings stuff in his opinion is naivety to explain things they don't want to understand within their dogmatic views.

They come to life like all undead through exposure to negative energies by one means or another.

>.< yeah, bloody hokey Mulhorandi god followers :P

TheMadMage

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11 2012, 13:35 PM 

Player

So is the mummy lord a sentinent undead? Lorewise they seem to be zombies with less decay and more stamina as well as some innate magical ability, but the brain is removed but the body is reanimated. So does it retain it's knowledge from before life? The priest mummy of Jergal in SOU seemed to retain it's knowledge similar to a lich but all others seem to be warrior zombies almost.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Undead are my gaming passion :)

ValkinMulgin

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11 2012, 13:42 PM 

Player

TheMadMage wrote:
So is the mummy lord a sentinent undead? Lorewise they seem to be zombies with less decay and more stamina as well as some innate magical ability, but the brain is removed but the body is reanimated. So does it retain it's knowledge from before life? The priest mummy of Jergal in SOU seemed to retain it's knowledge similar to a lich but all others seem to be warrior zombies almost.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Undead are my gaming passion :)

There are rare cases of all types of sentient undead, but a mummy lord or not dose not retain its knowledge or memory as it once did, except for extremely rare occasions. Like BIG story and request kind of occasions.

TheMadMage

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 11 2012, 14:06 PM 

Player

Thanks Talia!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]