View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
corypx

PostPosted: Sat, May 11 2013, 23:42 PM 

Player

Sorry for the long title was not sure how to word it.

In terms of normal monsters I assume they are ment to be as much as can be explained.
Wolfs in brog can do what I belive cone of cold and I assume its not them casting the spell but them having a gland that can produce a substance that reacts with the air causing a massive drop in tempeture like some kind of botched Liquid nitrogen.(or maybe something else)

What about effects on epic bosses, if I recall they are immune outright to things like Harm/Implosion/Undeath to Death/etc.

Is that all IC or only 50%, being "yes NWN wise they are immune to it so we cant claim other wise, but no we have no good IC reason for them to gain such powers and its only ment to balance them so they dont get 1 shot"

I ask because I was thinking of DC request idea and was maybe going to look into one or two of said monsters, but if them having the effects has no logical reason I see no need for breaking the fourth wall so to speak and would ignore them.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, May 11 2013, 23:50 PM 

Player

The wolves are winterwolves.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/winterWolf.htm

Breath Weapon (Su)

15-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 4d6 cold, Reflex DC 16 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

corypx

PostPosted: Sat, May 11 2013, 23:59 PM 

Player

yeah the wolves are the first thing that poped into my head, I could have used the Acid spaying zombies on Caraigh as a example maybe, but my main question is about are all mosters IC explained to why and how the effects and powers they have work?

Boss monsters are immune to Harm/Implosion/Undeath to Death/etc if I recall correct, do the DMs have a real IC reason for why and how, or is it all OOC balance to make them harder and so should be ignored IC to avoid arriving at the conclusion that its OOC based.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, May 12 2013, 0:04 AM 

Player

Not all is IC, no. Some is necessary for balance. Though we usually try to find reasonable explanations if someone rsearches the creatures or such.

Glim

PostPosted: Sun, May 12 2013, 0:50 AM 

Player

It's case by case, there's no hard rule here.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, May 12 2013, 2:13 AM 

Tester

That's what I always figured. Maybe at the height of an epic plot, a PC might have a chance to kill Windreaper through dice rolls and use of Wail. But obviously we can't have him susceptible to that on a non-story basis, because it would cheapen him as a PvM boss.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]