View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Ozelotl

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:41 AM 

Player

I am considering making a request to reskin my cleric of Shaundakul's EMD summon to a windghost because
Quote:
On occasion a priest of Shaundakul is accompanied by a windghost, a servant creature sent by Shaundakul. Such priests are typically engaged in a specific mission for the god and are usually powerful adventurers.
That is from the Northern Journey Campaign website.

Does anyone have any more information on them besides from what is in Monster Manuel II?

Also who is the DM that handles Shaundakul related dealings since Tormak stepped down? I have some basic ideas for how I would like to go about getting this summon, but I would need lots of help.

There is a little mechanical problem. It is an aberration according to Monster Manual II. I don't know what the base EMD summon should be. I also found this image on the forums and nothing I know of in the toolset looks like this. Any ideas there? Image
Thanks for any help.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 15:57 PM 

Player

Quote:
Windghosts are alien creatures with frightening powers. They appear as large, flying cones, their head a large base 8 feet in diameter, tapering upwards 24 feet in length to the top of the cone shape. The hard body is rough and mottled yet flexible, and smoky-gray to purple in color. They have two large, white, pupil-less eyes that can see far with darkvision, and can see into the Astral and Ethereal planes. The bottom of the cone is dominated by a large maw of many teeth, similar in arrangement to a shark’s mouth. On either side of the mouth is a retractable tentacle 4-20 feet in length, used to hold prey or carry items; these tentacles are strong, but incapable of being used to cause damage. The windghost’s name comes from their ability to glow in the dark – where they are seen as ghosts, that move like the wind.

Windghosts are an enigma, and their purpose in life is as yet unknown. It is believed by some scholars that they exist to serve a secretive god, but even this is uncertain. They live extremely long lives, drifting along and admiring the beauty of life below them. They seem to have no natural enemies, and do not hunt for food, though they do eat anything that they kill or any carrion they find.

Windghosts may know a language of their own, but are known to speak Common in a hissing voice that rumbles like a heavy wind.

The alien nature of a windghost’s mind makes it impossible to know why and when it might attack. If an adventurer encounters one, his best hope is that the windghost is in a good mood. Windghosts start an attack by swooping swiftly out of the sky, to swallow its foes. Swallowed prey is whirled about in the corrosive fluids of the creature’s mouth, suffering acid damage, then spat out.

Windghosts make a harmonious droning sound when within 90 feet of each other, called their windsong. This sound is quite loud and makes concentration difficult. A windghost also has the ability to cause a magic shift. It can move magic-dead areas and wild magic areas around to envelop itself or others, or to otherwise suit its needs.

It also has the ability to create a field, called warp dweomer, that intercepts magical effects from spells, spell-like abilities, and items in use, and move their area of effect. This allows the windghost to change who the spell is targeted on or where the effect occurs. Windghosts are immune to all mind-influencing effects, including mind-reading. Their resistance to magic also applies to all psionic probes and attacks.

I lifted from a crappy personal wiki site someone threw up. It looks like it is copy pasta, for the most part. I could find scant little other information.

Ozelotl

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 03 2014, 3:55 AM 

Player

Thanks for that. Much of this confirms what the Monster Manual II said except some details like them speaking Auran rather than common, only attacking if provoked but only after first buffing themselves when on high, retreated straight up until out of sight if the fight is lost, little things like that.

This also gives them different abilities than the monster manual and doesn't give them certain other ones. Like seeing into the astral and ethereal planes.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 03 2014, 5:41 AM 

Player

Well, mind you, the Monster Manual may be more accurate, as I lifted that from a personal wiki site that I assumed might've been copy and pasted. Appears maybe a few edits were made here and there.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 07 2014, 18:57 PM 

Player

I think the second edition monster manual equivalent has more info about windghosts.

They're certainly very weird servants for a god who by and large doesn't seem to like aberrations, and has a hard on for elves and humans and halflings. I've absolutely no idea how they got assigned to him as a specific servitor creature.

Ozelotl

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 08 2014, 5:32 AM 

Player

I first thought they were elemental type creatures since they're called WINDghosts and are in the portfolio of a wind deity. It is weird but *shrug*

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 08 2014, 9:11 AM 

Player

If Yoss's quote is reliable, I can see why they fit:
Quote:
They live extremely long lives, drifting along and admiring the beauty of life below them. They seem to have no natural enemies, and do not hunt for food, though they do eat anything that they kill or any carrion they find.

Sounds pretty compatible. Mostly it's probably because the designers just wanted to give each god a handful of associated monsters for DMs to use in campaigns, either as enemies or as allies.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Ozelotl

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 08 2014, 9:48 AM 

Player

I found another book with them in it. The Monstrous Compendium Annual AD&D 2e. Much of the abilities from Yossarin's post are in there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]