View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
lilmarcat

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 20:26 PM 

Player

Saw some old information about Salandrans having to be celibant until made temple Mother/Father. Was wondering if this was still relevant or what not.

Source - bottom of the wiki

Yossarin

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 21:17 PM 

Player

Celebrant or celibate? I assume you mean the latter, but...

IronAngel

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 21:30 PM 

Player

The bottom half of the page is partially outdated anyway. And as Ave says in that note, it's something she picked up that she couldn't find the documentation for, later. Salandran clergy are not universally required to be celibate, but if you want to bring that aspect into your RP, I think it could be assumed a group within the church holds onto theological and ethical views deviant from the official practice. Much like pacifism: several prominent Salandran PCs have been quite strict pacifists (I think Galenson can elaborate on their thinking) and it's a valid theological position and tradition in the church, but it's not required by the goddess or the church on a whole.

Really, theological debate and intra-church conflict is the best part of religious RP, so I encourage you to formulate your own stance on celibacy and argue for it IC. You might want to find out what Sina, Metalien and Jack did, you might want to idolize Weston Carter, or you could criticize their legacy and form your own circle of theological thought.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Ego680

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 21:32 PM 

Player

Welp, was gonna comment, but Iron took the words right out of my mouth. He is indeed correct, and I would also agree that perhaps the hardliners of the temple continue the practice of celibacy despite it not being the mainline dogma.

Galenson

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 10 2014, 8:12 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

The thing with Salandrans is that there is alot of flexibility in her worshipers: every Salandran I have dealt with had a different take on things based upon their experiences and past history yet the end goal was the same: help others per her four tenets.

Sina Averest was the oldest Salandran I had experiences with, who learned her tools of the trade from Nightingale themself. They had the hard job of piecing together the fragments of information Nightingale left behind and thanks to Sina, we actually have the four tenets to follow. The important points Sina passed on was that Salandrans should remain neutral: Salandrans helped everyone sentient, no matter who they were or their choices in life. There were also mentions of pacifism (which I think was Sina's preferred method in staying neutral. I can't remember myself) as well as celebacy as well as a dislike for the undeath (which came from Nightingale first banishing the undeath from the nearby graveyard to give the souls the rest they needed.)

Sina's pupils, Jack Galenson and Metalien Sikth, took her fundamental teachings and added their own spin on things:

Jack Galenson and Metalien Sikth took the more aggressive approach to being Salandrans: being grizzled veterans who'd seen better days and slept better nights, they embraced the path of the Templar and upheld the four tenets through fire and steel. They were the field medics who were in the middle of where the blood was thickest and went out of their way to intervene in matters where the undead were heaviest. The reason they did this was because both had come from martial backgrounds and both were very proficient at what they did. Jack in this regard was far more violent then Metalien was. However, despite their more aggressive nature then most Salandrans of the time they still upheld the code: stay neutral, don't hurt those who shouldn't be hurt and assist those who need their help per the 4 tenets. Jack and Metalien would jokingly remark that they weren't pacifists because they didn't know how to fight, but chose to be because they knew the body so well that the harm they could inflict was so inhumane that it should never be done.

Jack and Metalien's pupils were very different again:

Basin Eletharion followed Jack and Metalien in the path of the Templar but was far less aggressive in his approach to being a Salandran. Amenia Eletharion and Angelita on the other hand embraced Sina's other teachings and took a more... pacifistic approach. They took Sina's teaching literally by staying neutral and refraining from hurting those who they deemed they were there to care for in any way. I believe Angelita embraced the celibacy, however I know that the rest of the Salandrans at the time didn't.

Then came their pupil, Weston Carter, who once again had a very very different interpretation on how to be a Salandran to his predecessors. Having never met Sina himself, he wasn't constrained by her teachings so threw his own interpretations from her different followers into a mix that created something different entirely.

The point of this is that every Salandran had their own interpretation of the four tenets. As long as the tenets weren't broken, it was a flexible set of guidelines to follow. Does your toon embrace the aggressive nature of Metalien and Jack? Do they embrace the gentle, caring nature of Amenia and Angelita? Do they take the philosophical approach that Weston Carter did? Or do they forge their own interpretations in the desire to uphold the tenets?

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Metalien

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:21 PM 

Player

Nothing like a good thread necromancy to brighten up the day!

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 07 2016, 18:25 PM 

Player

Looks like somebody searched their name on the forums when they got back! ;)

My own take on Salandran celibacy, having understood as mentioned that it was only a blip of a sentence somewhere and outdated was that it could be used as an interesting RP hook early on in a Salandran's training. The classic "I love you but we can't be together! I am devoted to my goddess! *sniffle and dramatic turn as violin music swells*

Jovi actually mentions the celibacy expectation IC and explains that it's mostly for the lower ranks still in training, i.e. Below level 16 or 18 of whatever your main class will be, and even then it is a strong social pressure/suggestion. As in you'll probably get more brownie points with the temple mother focusing on herb and anatomy lessons than dating boys. If you're the competitive professional A+ Salandran you stay celibate.

Side note love this thread and all the history

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Metalien

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 20 2016, 14:55 PM 

Player

Blue Moon wrote:
Looks like somebody searched their name on the forums when they got back! ;)

I wanted to see what you bastards had been saying about me while I was gone, hahaha.

fjook

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 21 2016, 9:50 AM 

Player

Shada never fell and she did not practice Celibacy

So there is that

Go here to learn more about Shada - http://fjook.piczo.com/?cr=3&rfm=y

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]