View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
Alaria-

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:59 AM 

Player

I'm rather puzzled by this subject but I found it rather interesting! :)

If a Vorpal weapon is a blade/tip that is infinetly sharp, are they only restricted to blades or is it in theory possible to create Vorpal tips that are used for arrows? I also read that the creation of Vorpal objects are done via Enchantment. Would that mean that say Aiseth could make a Vorpal rock(Sharp edges) or a bullet if she wanted to?

On Amia I noticed that there aren't many Vorpal effects around, except for the Illthid Dominagus. Is that really -Vorpal- or just a substitute for a critical "I eat your brain" effect?

I can add that I have never touched DnD so I'm rather new to concepts such as these!

Manarethan

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:12 AM 

Player

According to the rules, a Vorpal weapon must be a slashing weapon because the enchantment allows the weapon to sever the head of the thing it strikes (as if a normal slashing weapon couldn't do that, but eh). I'm pretty sure NWN allows you to put Vorpal on anything, slashing or not, leading to the hilarious hypothetical situation in which somebody hits you with a Warhammer so hard your head falls off.

The Domi's Vorpal effect is not RPly Vorpal. As you said, it's more of a 'brain-munching' equivalent. Also best to mention here that Vorpal has never, is never and will never be available to players. It's way unbalanced.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:35 AM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
Vorpal Arrows

I'm on to you.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:38 AM 

Player

Not as much as you might think. On a PW a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I had a character that managed to acquire a vorpal scimitar. You're essentially one-fishing, and only if you score a confirmed critical. I seem to recall he only would only insta-poof mobs once in a blue moon while hunting, and never once in a PvP. I think Vorpal could be allowable on -very- epic DM quest rewards, and maybe so long as the character isn't a WM. My 2 pennies, anyhow.

Manarethan

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:45 AM 

Player

It's a free original Devastating Critical that targets reflex, which is definitely unbalanced, particularly on our server.

Aiseth

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 20:45 PM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
I also read that the creation of Vorpal objects are done via Enchantment. Would that mean that say Aiseth could make a Vorpal rock(Sharp edges) or a bullet if she wanted to?

:twisted:

Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2014, 21:03 PM 

Player

As far as I am aware, the reason this is most likely not to be is simply server balance reasons. It's why arrows should be able to be Keen (if QUARTERSTAVES can be) but will likely not be for the foreseeable future. It would be crazy for us.

Alaria-

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 9:50 AM 

Player

Aww ;) I would love to have explored vorpality IC and made use of it even if it was a DC of 1.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 18:09 PM 

Player

I'm not a DM, I'm just going by sentiments i've heard elsewhere!

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 18:17 PM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
Aww ;) I would love to have explored vorpality IC and made use of it even if it was a DC of 1.

Hoping someone rolls a 1 is what everyone already does when using most of their abilities.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 20:59 PM 

Player

Manarethan wrote:
Also best to mention here that Vorpal has never, is never and will never be available to players. It's way unbalanced.

Casters with black blade of disaster have vorpal for free.

Ice

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 21:21 PM 

Player

Vorpal is reflex. BBoD's hit is fort. And there are main differences.

It is said that everybody has heard of the creature, but almost nobody knows a thing about it.
And now keeping an abstract and sometimes too literal journal.

Silkelock

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 21:21 PM 

Player

Mushidoz wrote:
Manarethan wrote:
Also best to mention here that Vorpal has never, is never and will never be available to players. It's way unbalanced.

Please do explain

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Suhjet

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2014, 21:35 PM 

Player

Ice wrote:
Vorpal is reflex. BBoD's hit is fort. And there are main differences.

Correct.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Planar_rift

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 1:42 AM 

Player

Silkelock wrote:
Mushidoz wrote:
Manarethan wrote:

Please do explain

It slays on hit with a fort save failure. To be frank, it really doesn't matter if it's fort or reflex in terms of PvE, endgame-wise most yard trash you fight has saves geeked to the point the typical DC based ability is "failing on a 1" territory. "<race> Mage" is going to have fort deep into the 30s, "<race> Warrior" will have reflex that good, etc. I've started playing an assassin here and was annoyed with the assassin widget simply because even with a nice DC of 39, choosing what one thinks _should work_ against the type of monster that gives you trouble (fort vs a supposed wizardly yard trash monster) usually greeted me with disappointment at seeing saves that meant it was only going to be affected on a fantastically low roll, if not an outright 1.

Granted, in PvP, Reflex or die would be pretty fun and outrageous, especially when combined with Dev Crit's Fort or Screwed. Mmm. *applies for a pair of vorpal scimitars*

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Manarethan

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 2:23 AM 

Player

Black Blade of Disaster is a 9th level spell, rounds/level, requires the Caster to do nothing while active and has, I think, 3 attacks per round. It also targets Fortitude, the overall highest save on the server.

A Vorpal weapon is on all the time, every time and costs nothing to use. It targets reflex, which is usually the lowest save from what I've seen, activates every time you crit which can be anywhere from a 10-20 range to a 20 range, depending on the user. The user can take any actions they want while holding a Vorpal weapon because, again, it's totally free.

In short, the comparison is entirely pointless. Literally the only similarity is that they kill on-hit.

Silkelock

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 5:49 AM 

Player

BBoD can also be avoided with death ward if I am not mistaken?

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

MoshingChris

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 13:20 PM 

Player

Black Blade of Disaster is broken trash and needs to shot out of a cannon into space.

Vorpal is even worse. It's heading straight for the sun.

Ice

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 17:21 PM 

Player

My knife found a permanent spot over the ceiling after reading Mosh' post.

It is said that everybody has heard of the creature, but almost nobody knows a thing about it.
And now keeping an abstract and sometimes too literal journal.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 17:30 PM 

Player

MoshingChris wrote:
Dev Crit is broken trash and needs to shot out of a cannon into space.

Terrifying Rage is even worse. It's heading straight for the sun.

Added some variety :P

Mercedes

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 18:34 PM 

Player

I can honestly say I've never experienced problems with dev crit or terrifying rage. The saves or methods of defense against them make them a null point where they matter, and dev crit takes a large amount of investment that often forgoes defense in a lot of builds.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 05 2014, 23:57 PM 

Player

MoshingChris wrote:
Black Blade of Disaster is broken trash and needs to shot out of a cannon into space.

Vorpal is even worse. It's heading straight for the sun.

Vorpal, so far as I know, doesn't even exist in player hands so I don't even understand this statement. I would agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment on BBoD if it wasn't necessary just to reasonably attempt certain encounters. One entire dungeon is -nothing- but gobs of encounters of nothing but endless "save or screwed" spam abilities you can't maintain immunity against and a boss with 4 or 5 greater ruins to spam at you (plus 2 encounters spawning with him!). That dungeon makes sense on a server laden with immunity items, but on Amia it's out of place and basically equivocates to "mage-only" else you're in for many respawns, regardless of your save numbers (lots of 1s when 6 beholders spam eyes at you all fight long).

Statements about Dev Crit and Terrifying Rage are baffling. Dev Crit is basically little more than a minor nuisance as it is, effects mostly easily fixed with a cheap potion. If anything, given the very heavy investment it costs (5 feats, some fairly useless), being so circumstantial to be often useless on content, and the fact that monsters/players have such geeked saves the feat is almost always "fail on a 1" territory, Dev Crit should be rebalanced upward a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing the effects work on crit-immune enemies somehow, the feat allowing a character to crit normally crit-immune targets, or perhaps simply the feat tacking on the character's STR mod as extra damage. Terrifying Rage is easily ignored with potions practically available on every street corner in infinite supply.

But I've seen people complain about Epic Dodge being overpowered too, which makes me wonder if many complaints are legitimately objective or are just raging about a feat they've never bothered using that's somehow given them a bad experience.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Manarethan

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:18 AM 

Player

The initial question has been answered and nothing further is to be gained by posting opinions on mechanics in a Lore forum thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]