View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 12 2014, 15:51 PM 

Player

Quote:
Drow Equipment is made in the Faerzress and made to work with and in it. Denied the right atmosphere, it disintegrates in sunlight. It's far more than just "goes powerless". It decays and disappears when sunlight hits it. If it is protected from sunlight, the power slowly goes out of it, but otherwise, poof and its gone. I recall Drizzt protected his piwafwi from sunlight, and it just eventually became an ordinary cloak. That's why Drow raiding parties only strike at night. The metal of choice for Drow equipment is Adamantite, and other races/societies use the same metal, so the fault comes down to that of the Faerzress, which is extremely strong in certain pockets of the Underdark. Other players and writers have posited it to be something like a special kind of radiation, while the metal is exposed to it in the Underdark, it empowers the metal, giving it much more powerful magical powers than it would have otherwise. But when deprived of that radiation, it weakens the metal to the point of collapse and disintegration in very short order. Or perhaps there is a different kind of radiation/magical power in sunlight that somehow speeds up the collapse if the Faerzress is still residing in the metal. Given enough time to let the Faerzress bleed out, and it's just that the magic drains away and sunlight no longer affects it so badly.

And yes, Drow Equipment is very powerful in the Underdark. On the surface... not so much. Not *all* of their equipment has this weakness, though. It's mostly just armor and weapons. Staves, Rods, Wands, Potions and such are generally not affected. Cloth is sometimes (Maybe they weave metal into the cloth- it's not said). Drow items can be enchanted up to +5 and/or +6. They also have specialized magic items like Tentacle Rods (both Greater and Lesser), Wands of Viscid Globs (essentially it's like a Wand of Web or a Glue Gun), and their house badge/insignia can also be enchanted to have various powers.

Obviously this isn't applied on Amia but forget that - My question is if it's the correct lore or not ?

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 12 2014, 21:10 PM 

Player

Mostly. Faerzress is not a tangible thing that you can trap in a bottle. However, it passes through rock and ore which becomes irradiated and can be collected.

On Amia, we don't do the whole 'Adamantine dissolves in light' thing, nor do we presently have any mechanical advantages for Drow forged equipment that allows them to function more strongly in the presence of Faerzress. That said, I am not opposed to the Drow in Nec'perya working toward creating such, but I cannot guarantee anything as mechanically boosting stuff (even if confined to caverns with Faerzress) would require a lot of help from the dev team and they have a lot on their plates.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 12 2014, 21:21 PM 

Player

We haven't done much with it in the past. Not because it doesn't exist, but because it's just a bit of a confusing mess. What lore should be valid in which edition, how it should affect PCs in game, portal wands, etc. All magic works equally in different areas of the module, so perhaps not too much should be made of it. Better as a story device to whip out when you need rather than the norm to try to make sense of.

In terms of equipment, specifically, I am not sure if 3e says anything about it losing potency outside the Underdark. I thought it was mostly scrapped when WotC started pushing drow as a playable race (whereas in 2e, it was there obviously to keep the drow and Underdark dangerous and exceptional, so you couldn't go there to loot their stuff and be overpowered up top). Or is it still in the latest books?

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 12 2014, 21:44 PM 

Player

It is, but it remains vague in a 'DM Freedom' sort of way.

I have a compiled bit on it from various books and my old source books 'behind the screen,' but as it is actively being studied in depth ICly as well as being experimented with, I will leave the specifics for IC discovery and forgo posting any potential spoilers here.

That said, folks using Conjuration and Divination spells on or in Nec'perya's cavern should chat with me before taking action.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 12 2014, 22:06 PM 

Player

Is that for any Conj/Div spell? Because I can see a lot of characters conducting routine enchantments (Zrae typically casts on herself True Seeing when in the city), and that could lead to a lot of issues haha.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 16 2014, 15:20 PM 

Player

Is Faerzress like gamma/beta/alpha radiation? Probably not right?

Hudson

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 17 2014, 14:24 PM 

Player

Carefull with overexplaining things like that ooc please.

Scientific explanations can really kill immersion while you can have a lot of good roleplay trying to find out things ingame.
Also, if Dusty would confirm it would be alpha/ beta/ gamma radiation I would have no clue what that would exactly entail as I know very little of science making DM'ing with it impossible as any scientist pc side would know a thousand times more about it then I (Or any DM without a background in science) do.

(But it can't be gamma radiation or drow would be green!)

Harold Kendry (Illusionist) -> see avatar
Elloanore (Travelling bard)

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2014, 19:14 PM 

Player

All, yup Naiv.

--------------------------------------
Yup, it is not. The radiation is more arcane in nature. The findings you have in game support this.

It does not have a wave band which reconcilable to real world science. Instead, quite literally, some wizards did it and it is its own funky thing.

((Hypothetically, if magic dealt with all waves to create things and we went with comic book logic, every time you cast Bulls Strength you irradiate yourself with Gamma Radiation and turn into a big green Hulk as Hudson said. Of course, the setting does not support this, but it is a funny thought!))

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2014, 19:36 PM 

Player

Well that's disappointing, and aggravating. What about casting True Seeing off-Nec' and then coming there? No problems with that, just if it's cast in Nec' right?

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2014, 20:29 PM 

Player

Honestly we need to be reminded more often about this. Can glim perhaps script some easy trigger event that spits out a small line in the combat log every time you enter the zone?

Something along the lines of:

You step out into the massive egg-shaped cavern and gaze up towards the ceiling where the faezress glows ominously in green and purple creating a false vision of the night sky and dimly illuminating the dhaerow settlement. The eerie glow is challenged by fluorescent mushrooms strategically placed out around the city lighting it up in an alien manner. The settlement truly earned it's nickname "Jewel of the Dark".
    Your eyes adjust and you see farther out across the waters. To the west is a massive dark river flowing deeper underground and forms a small curve around the city in counter-clockwise stream: it's an ideal port-city.
    (OOC note: All divination and conjuration spells behave differently under/or in close proximity to the faerzess)

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2014, 20:43 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Well that's disappointing, and aggravating. What about casting True Seeing off-Nec' and then coming there? No problems with that, just if it's cast in Nec' right?

Correct. Divinations can get a bit wonky though. I can't say much more without spoiling the hard work the PC Faern of the city are doing.

Svensk, that is worth bringing up in the IA forums. Such a note would be better discussed there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]