View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
Abe Sapien

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 9:32 AM 

Player

So Ive been reading everything I can on the forums looking for more details on these guys which lead to the following questions.
-What are the physical traits of the more "trollish" looking fey touched
-And what race model/character model would they use.

I love the idea of a macabre looking fey touched with unseelie ties but cant seem to find decent lore to go off of. help?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:20 AM 

Player

Alright so... D&D is a bit lackluster with fey. Basically they just never bothered to write out many.

So for amia we usually use a mix of folklore and Pathfinder (which is heavily based on folklore).

So apart of the "complete guide to fey" you can look at this list:

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinde ... stings/fey

Now you should pick "one" fey type they are distant related to. Fey only pure breed among eachother. So there is no such thing as 1/10 pixie and 2/10 dryad and 3/10 elf.

So while a mix of fey + other can be a half-breed or a feytouched that does not apply within the species.

For example:

Dryad + Satyr = when the child is female it's always a dryad, when it is male it is always a satyr.

Okay that just as an aside.

Now you can look at the fey you picked and decide for a few traits.

Let us say... you pick a red cap. You could pick a small "base" (though mind it needs to be a request, feytouched mechanically only applies to elf on Amia) and then add some quirks like a gnarly face, a cap soaked in blood....

...or a mite who have a huge head and blueish skin...

...a tooth fairy who have almost no teeth when born and make a habit of stealing others teeth and trying to apply them to their gum.

There's a lot of rather scary fey.

KairaKitty

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:41 AM 

Player

I recall reading the Complete Book of Fey, and I was under the impression fey basically pick whatever the hell they want to be when they're born. And I thought there were ways to change that, even, but I'm unsure since the last time I read the book was awhile ago.

Which is the reason for there being no half-this, half-that among fey.

There's also lore written out by some kind players from a long time ago that set what's standard on Amia I believe except the Twilight court which exists no more (due to DM plotlines)? You should be able to search the forums for fey and bam, some nice info.

EDIT: No, the book linked is completely different to what I was thinking! I was always pointed to that complete guide/book to fey...
http://www.goodman-games.com/3009preview.html
This is what I read.

The orphan with bloodshot eyes

Last edited by KairaKitty on Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:44 AM 

Player

I did not link the complete guide to fey. I liked a pathfinder page. You can find the book online but I am not linking that due to copyright things.

KairaKitty

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:55 AM 

Player

Yeah, you can find both books online.

Rigela wrote:
As far as I am aware (and I may be wrong) the only 'fey lore' that we have as certain canon is what is referenced in our lore - the complete guide to fey. There are many other books you can find which you can use, or even base things on folk tales of various peoples, as that is where a fair amount of the fey idea's originate in some form or other.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=76363&hilit=fey

Apparently both books are fine, it seems.

The orphan with bloodshot eyes

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:01 AM 

Player

"complete guide to fey" should be given priority over any PF stuff. Just so far as Cannon priority goes FR > D&D(general) > D20 system > OGL

Also I would argue Amarice that your reading of the "pure breed"-edness of fey/elves seems contrary to a lot of the Novel sources which indicate that many fey can freely define their forms (although certainly certain "breeds" of fey that only produce their own kind regardless also exist) and that elves can have blood that is mixed to an extend, and rather it is primarily for mechanical reasons that they -count- as one or the other.

Of course if you can ever find any two people that agree on the RIGHT Fey lore I will be amazed, which is fittingly rather Fey like.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:12 AM 

Player

What you say is true and does not contradict with what I said.

Some fey can choose... but they still choose one, not a coss-mix. So some have not the gender specific of satyr and dryad. If you have say a nymph and a Faun the child may be able to pick or the parents could pick. But it would be a pick regardless and not a pixie-faun.

The lore of complete guide to fey applies. The list I linked was not about the core lore but about different existent fey races, as D&D did not list many in their source books. Even the complete guide to fey just has a handful. And the OP did not ask for core lore but for feytypes and their traits.

So lore = complete guide to fey.
Feytypes = complete guide to fey + folklore + pathfinder

P.S. and as said elf + fey mix, humans + fey mix, hin + fey mix... just the fey type is chosen to be always one and not part this and part that. Not the other race. But fey among eachother they CAN breed... the result is just one or the other or something else, not a mix.

Abe Sapien

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:35 AM 

Player

So if I understand this correctly I need to find the relevant fae and which race its halfbreed with?
I'm aiming for mix of human and some sort of fae along the lines of the irish Fomorians or Scandinavian folklore troll. Big ugly and creepy

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:37 AM 

Player

A half-fey would require a special race request. Feytouched are not half but like tieflings or aasimar, distantly related.

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:40 AM 

Player

Well, excepting any greater fey since they are basically tiny weird demi-gods.

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
P.S. and as said elf + fey mix, humans + fey mix, hin + fey mix... just the fey type is chosen to be always one and not part this and part that. Not the other race. But fey among eachother they CAN breed... the result is just one or the other or something else, not a mix.

That bit is a bit oddly phrased, just sounds a bit like you are saying that there aren't half-fey or the like.
Edit: Looks like you clarified just above. :D

Last edited by The Great Equalizer on Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:41 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:41 AM 

Player

Troll are not quite fey in D&D... but maybe something like this?

Grimm

This monstrous beast stands well over 9 feet tall and has glistening black flesh. Its head is oval with deep sunken black eyes. Its mouth is wide and large and sports double rows of razor-sharp fangs. A purplish-black tongue flicks in and out of its mouth. The monster’s powerful arms and legs end in filthy wicked claws that sport broken, black fingernails.

If you go human model you for example here could get the Wight hands which are very long fingers with claws!

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:43 AM 

Player

The Great Equalizer wrote:
Well, excepting any greater fey since they are basically tiny weird demi-gods.

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:

That bit is a bit oddly phrased, just sounds a bit like you are saying that there aren't half-fey or the like.
Edit: Looks like you clarified just above. :D

.... no that is not what I say.

I say there half fey-half humans or half-fey half elf.

There are no half-pixie-half faun because the result would be A fey but not a mix. The fey in result may be one or the other or in rare cases perhaps even another type of fey but still a type of fey and not a mix between those two fey.

Sorry did not see your edit lol.

I am pretty sure we said the exact same thing just with another phrasing XD

Abe Sapien

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:51 AM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Troll are not quite fey in D&D... but maybe something like this?

Grimm

This monstrous beast stands well over 9 feet tall and has glistening black flesh. Its head is oval with deep sunken black eyes. Its mouth is wide and large and sports double rows of razor-sharp fangs. A purplish-black tongue flicks in and out of its mouth. The monster’s powerful arms and legs end in filthy wicked claws that sport broken, black fingernails.

If you go human model you for example here could get the Wight hands which are very long fingers with claws!

Yes something along the lines of this or the Darkling which was also in the link. Was thinking even half-orc model for them so its more brutish looking though. either way looks like a leto/special character request yes?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 12:19 PM 

Player

Special chara request only if you go for half-breed.

Else you ust need a pheno change request.

Dergaii

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 08 2015, 16:29 PM 

Player

If you are still looking for inspiration this link has a nice overview of many of the fey that can be found in the d&d sourcebooks. The added benefit is that it lists the sizes as well. So a browse of the medium/larger ones could find you an interesting fey ancestor for your feytouched. You will need to check if the listed fey are canon though, there is a lot of homebrew content on there as well.

A first look at the list shows the Malgoren and Oread as possible candidates.
For the more trollish look a half-orc base phenotype could give them the required size and brutish features. But as Amarice said this would be subject of a request.

An interesting concept I would like to invite you to think about is the alignment of many of the fey races. While there are specific good (like the brownie) and evil fey types (like a redcap), there is also a substantial amount of them that are neutral. While neutral they are not without danger and can even have murderous intent if not approached the right way. The mentioned Oread for example could be welcoming to an individual visitor but is also known to collapse the mines of those who which to invade their mines. Many of the creatures from the myths that were the inspiration for the fey races had this ambiguous morality. Appease them the right way and you will be treated fine, but cross them and they will make you regret it.

Abe Sapien

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 09 2015, 0:05 AM 

Player

Thanks for all the help everyone, think i got this pretty much figured out now. Settle on a heritage and alignment/court and such

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]