View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 22 2015, 17:24 PM 

Player

Hey everyone. After chatting with players about how confusing the magic situation is in Ruathym, I came up with a guide and OoC explanation of the situation to smooth out inconsistencies. One struggle I had with Ruathym/Wiltun is realizing the groundwork of what was intended was there, but never really thoughout or stated, so it became a knotted ball of yarn that was meant to be unwound later as it became relevant.

So, here is how magic goes in Ruathym.

1) Divine magic is generally accepted if and only if it comes from the Northman gods, such as Valkur, Helm, Red Knight, Tempus, Uthgardt--but not Umberlee, currently, due to the previous Umberlee Plot and the Kraken Society.

2) Druids are respected in the Jarldom of Wiltun, especially on Caraigh. Caraigh prefers and reveres Druids of Eldath above others, however, due to plot/historical reasons. However, in Ostland, druids are immediately seen as pagan witches and will be burned indiscriminately. This is due to the fact that actual witchery in the region runs between the veins of druidism and arcane magic.

3) Arcane magic is vilified, but the most vilified are conjuration (due to Caraigh lore), necromancy (universal sin) and enchantment (regional fear.) Arcane magic and occultism (including Fallen druidic rites) are considered witchery and unlawful mysticism.

4) However, as we all known, Fortress Wiltun as enchanted gear, scrolls and potions for sale--so what gives? The enchanted gear and potions and so on have been created by local clergy, with some of the more potent and mystic items being created by traditional artificers, rune "mages"/smiths (eldritch runes, as indicated by lore object in the throne room), but also incanters*.

*Our setting doesn't have much in the way of sources to define artifice and incantation and so on, that I have found, so I have been drawing from Eberron and Pathfinder sources, and filling in the parts that don't fit with my own interpretation. Artifice uses infusions and runes to imbue inanimate objects with arcane-magic like effects temporarily, as in infusing someone's belt with bull's strength instead of the person with bull's strength. It does not use arcane magic per se, but rather knowledge of magic, as well as crafting feats and skills (which may be supernatural) to create consumables and equipment. Incantation I am particularly excited about, because it will be considered lawful mysticism--it can be conducted by anyone with or without arcane talent, but is very picky. Incantations can only be performed at certain times (midnight, fullmoon, etc), certain seasons (winter, spring, etc) and in certain locations (open field, swamps, mountain top) and require epic, unique, expensive or legendary components, as well as requiring precise gestures and words being spoken (as in usual magic) for the "casting" to work. But they can be very powerful when they do. Incantation and artifice will have roles in the upcoming future of the region, specifically in Wiltun, allowing more magic to be utilized in the region while maintaining the prejudice against arcane magic and the low magic setting, but still keeping the region's power level on par with the rest of our server.

Additionally, to clarify, the mythal forge in Wiltun was a gift from the Mystran Monolith to help smooth things over when the Monolith settled nearby, as they knew of the fortress' love of artifice and so on. The portal mage, as well, maintains the portal through runic means, rather than total arcane.

I hope this helps,

BoB.

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 22 2015, 17:28 PM 

Player

Please ask your questions here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82628

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]