View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:05 AM 

Player

In regards to This thread I thought this might be useful.

~Phrases~
Hello- Konnichiwa
Bye- Sayonara
yes- Hai
No- Ie
Thank you- Arigatou gozaimasu
Please /do such and such/ by all means -Kudasai
Um, Uh... - Eeto / Ano
Ouch! - Ite
Yame- Stop
Kami- God
Oni- Oger
Yokai- Literally 'spirit of a thing' could be, ghost, phantom, strange apparition, "spirit",

Shinobi- Stealing (into), spy, sneak thief.

Ninja-literal meaning: "stealth person") is a warrior and assassin, trained in the art of Ninjutsu (roughly art of stealth). Ninja, like Bushido and Samurai, followed their own special code of honor called Ninpo and contrary to popular belief the Ninja's specialty was not assassination but rather espionage

Kunoichi- Female ninja or practitioner of ninjutsu (ninpo).

Sensei- Teacher

Seinor- Seasoned warriors

Shifu- Master

Kohai- Begging student

Senpai- intermediate student

Geisha- Entertainer like a 'bard'

Meiko- Young Geisha in training

Baishunpu- Prostitute / Whore
Pansuke- Prostitute / Whore

Jonin- 'High Man', 'Elite Ninja' or investiture; Jonin are generally highly-experienced shinobi with great individual skill who serve as military captains. Jonin act by establishing in office or to approve and sanction formally. Give orders to the chunin.

Chunin- 'Middle Man' ; Journeyman Ninja who are qualified to guide other ninja and lead missions. Chūnin have reached a level of maturity and ability that primarily consists of leadership skills and tactical prowess.

Genin - Ordinary ninja.

Dojo, or The Floor/Matt- Training hall area.

Kabuki- is classical dance-drama. Kabuki theater is known for the stabilization of its drama and for the elaborate make-up worn by some of its performers. Kabuki literally means sing, dance, and skill. Kabuki is therefore sometimes referred to as "the art of singing and dancing."

~Common honorifics~

San - is the most commonplace honorific, and is a title of respect typically used between equals of any age.

Chan- is a diminutive suffix; it expresses that the speaker finds a person endearing. Thus, using chan with a superior's name would be condescending and rude. In general, chan is used for babies, young children, grandparents and teenage girls. It may also be used towards cute animals, lovers, close friends, or any youthful woman. It can be used for males in some circumstances, but in general this use is rather condescending or intimate.

Kun- is used by persons of senior status in addressing or referring to those of junior status, or by anyone when addressing or referring to male children or male teenagers. It can also be used by females when addressing a male that they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long period of time. Although kun is generally used for boys, that is not a hard rule. For example, kun can be used to name a close personal friend or family member of either gender. Also, in business settings, young female employees may also be addressed as kun by older males of senior status. It can also be used by male teachers addressing their female students.

Sama- more respectful version of san. It is used mainly to refer to people much higher in rank than oneself, toward one's customers, and sometimes toward people one greatly admires. When used to refer to oneself, sama expresses extreme arrogance (or self-effacing irony), as with ore-sama ("my esteemed self").

Kōhai -is a junior, the reverse of senpai, but it is not normally used as an honorific.
Senpai -is used to address or refer to one's senior colleagues
Gakusei- means student and is not normally used as an honorific.
Shi- is used in formal writing, and sometimes in very formal speech, for referring to a person who is unfamiliar to the speaker.

Dono/tono-Tono, pronounced dono when attached to a name, roughly means "lord" or "master". It does not equate noble status; rather it is a term akin to "milord" or French "monseigneur," and lies in between san and sama in level of respect. This title is not commonly used in daily conversation, but it is still used in some types of written business correspondence, as well as on certificates and awards, and in written correspondence in tea ceremonies. It is/was also used to indicate that the person referred to has the same (high) rank as the referrer, yet commands respect from the speaker.

~Ranks~

Kyoshi -refers to an advanced teacher.

Hanshi-refers to a senior expert considered a "teacher of teachers". This title is used by many different arts for the top few instructors of that style, and is sometimes translated "Grand Master".

Meijin- awarded by a special board of examiners.

Shinobi no Sato, literally "village of shinobi,"

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 14:03 PM 

Player

Out of curiousity, is it explicitly said that Kozakuran people use Japanese phrases? I know a good few characters who are from that region who use these phrases, just never found any source on it.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Silkelock

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 16:51 PM 

Player

I started a topic for this long ago and I think Glim summed it up pretty well.

http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1261159#p1261159

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 19:48 PM 

Player

Except Latin gets used all the time so that's pretty moot.

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 20:47 PM 

Player

As well as real life languages frequently used between characters of different regions; the most recent examples I can think of were the more popular Em hotep (real Egyptian saying), and pryviet (real Russian saying), and no one has really regulated it, so. Not a hard rule, not something I'm fussed about, its just RP flavor.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 21:04 PM 

Player

Mulhorandi are actual ancient Egyptian people pulled through a portal. Kozakurans, to my knowledge, are not transported earthlings. It's an important distinction imo. I personally avoiding using anything but plain English in open channels, per server rules.

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 21:26 PM 

Player

Okay. But there is still a lot of usage on non-english sayings and if we say no to one we say no to them all, and the other way around too.

serbiris

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 22:58 PM 

Player

For what it's worth, being Japanese myself I would rather the language didnt get bandied around. Willing to apply the same standards for Latin given its close relation to numerous European languages. But that's just me.

@Thanatopsis#6293

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 23:22 PM 

Player

Yes, Im also Asian and Hispanic. Ive seen a lot of real life languages I use be implemented. It's either all or nothing otherwise we're just picking and choosing based on personal biases.

serbiris

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 23:29 PM 

Player

Not really sure what you're getting at, we already established that it's all or nothing. I'm just saying that I would prefer it to be "nothing".

@Thanatopsis#6293

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 23:32 PM 

Player

I'm reiterating the fact. Nothing to get at but that. :)

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 23:43 PM 

Player

This was a lore thread to just to offer flavor for what the fantasy is based on. Derailing it isn't what I had exspected from the community especially with how well received the other thread was. My guess is the reason this one is getting so much attention is because there is a hate trend of 'weeaboos' on the server. Seriously guys it's a game some people like to write and play one way others anouther. Most of the time the people who don't wanna see it won't see it because they don't even play with the character being played in such a manner. And worse comes to worse just politely request they not do it ig if it really bothers me. I work in a dojo every week for several hours on end. Several hours each day. Classes are proctered in Jappanese and we follow such manners and ways of doing things. It adds to the atmosphere and it adds to the interest. It's really not a big deal.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 05 2015, 0:23 AM 

Player

I was simply asking about whether it was genuinely something that was in sourced in the game books.

I mean I guess I understand that a Kozakuran using japanese phrases and one using standard common are the same so I understand Sam's perspective.

As I said though, my query was just asking if it was something mentioned in the lore :D

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

VKB

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 05 2015, 3:37 AM 

Player

I occasionally sprinkle Erika's dialogue with a German word or two, usually "Ja" or some insult, because Damara (where she has heritage from) seems a bit analogous, culturally, to the Holy Roman Empire. I've also seen a Rashemeni character use Russian phrases, but never full sentences, and usually something that even most English speakers can understand, given the context. For my part, I've never been given shit for my characters saying a German word, and I fluff it as my character speaking in a local dialect.

My two cents: I don't mind seeing the occasional Japanese or Chinese or Latin or Egyptian word on the server. I think it adds a certain flair to characters and their dialogue. As long as people don't start holding full conversations in a foreign language, I don't see the problem. After all, barring the lore arguments that have been made in the thread already, I've seen the same with Elvish and Drow, and even Dwarven, languages - and it takes just as much time to look up what the meaning is on Google.

Dead

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 05 2015, 23:47 PM 

Player

For some reason I'd cringe if someone used "Konnichiwa" or "Sayonara" IC. And yes, most likely due to weeaboos.

Edit: And I don't think it's appropriate to open up a thread in the Lore forum and claim it's Kozakuran lore, without warning people that it's just Japanese phrases you thought could fit in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 06 2015, 1:18 AM 

Player

I'd rather stay away from using that discriminatory phrase to describe anything relating to Kozakuran culture or Eastern influence on the server, thanks. I think it's time this thread is locked and paused in its derailment.

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 06 2015, 16:30 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Except Latin gets used all the time so that's pretty moot.

ROMA INVICTA!~

Personally, I don't mind people using phrases from similar real life cultures' languages now that I've thought a bit about it. FR is basically designed in such away that a good few cultures are mirrored in the setting, anyways.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]