View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
NiwatoriKami

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 6:22 AM 

Player

Can Tieflings be born in Shadowscape or do they have to be in a situation where they are captured by a religious order in their youth to be trained as hired killers for their god?

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 7:13 AM 

Player

Tieflings can be born anywhere really, within reason of course! I don't see Shadowscape being a problematic place of origin for a tiefling. I don't think you'll need a fancy reason for them to be from the plane. A native of the Plane of Shadow may exhibit Shadovar-like traits, like greyer skin and black hair etc, but they are not considered a special race or require anything special for a backstory. To my knowledge, at least.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

LetumLux

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:43 AM 

Player

(Mostly @ Sammy) IIRC, it takes many generations for the greyscale to take effect. In this case, it's a difference between being a native of the Plane of Shadow (born and raised there) and a Native of the Plane of Shadow (evolved/adapted to the Plane). So someone's mother who stayed in Shadowscape their whole life, had their pregnancy there, gave birth and raised their child there - their child would still have hue. And so would that child's offspring. It takes a while for the traits of a Plane to really permeate to the point that a Template (which is basically what it would be) would be applied to the descendants.

A Tiefling born in the Plane of Shadow or otherwise "from" it would by default just be that - a "normal" Tiefling from the Plane of Shadow. Someone got pregnant, had a child in Shadowscape, and the fiendish heritage happened to express. Easy peasy.

That said, far as I remember, there are also Evil Outsiders Native to the Plane of Shadow that a Tiefling could be descended from if one were really interested in mixing things further, although that might need at least a checking-in with the DMs to make sure it's all copacetic with the Amia setting.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 10:12 AM 

Player

LetumLux wrote:
(Mostly @ Sammy) IIRC, it takes many generations for the greyscale to take effect. In this case, it's a difference between being a native of the Plane of Shadow (born and raised there) and a Native of the Plane of Shadow (evolved/adapted to the Plane). So someone's mother who stayed in Shadowscape their whole life, had their pregnancy there, gave birth and raised their child there - their child would still have hue. And so would that child's offspring. It takes a while for the traits of a Plane to really permeate to the point that a Template (which is basically what it would be) would be applied to the descendants.

Actually, Shadowdancers and Shadow Magi who perform certain rituals can attain an attuned body (which includes grey hue) which can then be applied to their children and future generations.

Quote:
That said, far as I remember, there are also Evil Outsiders Native to the Plane of Shadow that a Tiefling could be descended from if one were really interested in mixing things further, although that might need at least a checking-in with the DMs to make sure it's all copacetic with the Amia setting

I have no idea which Outsiders could reproduce that are solely native to the Shadow Plane. It's easy enough to assume there are some humanoid bloodlines that live in the Shadow Plane that contain Demon/Devil blood, but the only actual outsiders that live in the Shadow Plane that /could/ reproduce strike me as... extremely, extremely unlikely. Nighthaunts are one thing that strike to mind, due to their size but... actual cross-breeding? I'm not so sure.

But going back to NiwatoriKami's original question, yeah Tieflings can be born in Shadowscape and can be native if their parents have lived there a good while and of course stronger affinity the more generations have lived there. If you want to expand on your concept more, I can dig up what lore and homebrew we have for you :)

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Anatida

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 12:33 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
Actually, Shadowdancers and Shadow Magi who perform certain rituals can attain an attuned body (which includes grey hue) which can then be applied to their children and future generations...

While this is true, Letum's clarification based on what had been written before was valid. To imply that a mother and her single offspring would take on Shadovar-esque traits based on a single lifetime is not accurate.

Kamina wrote:
...but the only actual outsiders that live in the Shadow Plane that /could/ reproduce strike me as... extremely, extremely unlikely. Nighthaunts are one thing that strike to mind, due to their size but... actual cross-breeding? I'm not so sure.

Nighthauts, like all Nightshades, are undead. Undead do not reproduce, do they? O.o

Kamina wrote:
But going back to NiwatoriKami's original question, yeah Tieflings can be born in Shadowscape and can be native if their parents have lived there a good while and of course stronger affinity the more generations have lived there. If you want to expand on your concept more, I can dig up what lore and homebrew we have for you :)
I agree with this! :P

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 13:50 PM 

Player

Quote:
Kamina wrote:
...but the only actual outsiders that live in the Shadow Plane that /could/ reproduce strike me as... extremely, extremely unlikely. Nighthaunts are one thing that strike to mind, due to their size but... actual cross-breeding? I'm not so sure.

Nighthauts, like all Nightshades, are undead. Undead do not reproduce, do they? O.o

Not in the traditional manner, if they even can. The issue is that nearly every outsider in the Shadow Plane that is native there is also under the Undead race. In all honesty I have no idea if it's possible

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

serbiris

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 17:46 PM 

Player

There's like... half-vampires... somehow. In certain 3.5 sourcebooks. But yeah no, wouldn't be a Nightshade producing planetouched. People have in the past based it on some kind of Shadow Demon dealio, not sure which book that comes from exactly. There's shadar-kai as well, though they fall under feytouched. That's probably one of the better options.

@Thanatopsis#6293

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 17 2015, 21:27 PM 

Player

Mind that Shadowscape has barely existed for a single generation ICly. It's about as old as Bendir Dale being an actual halfling city, which is to say: Not very old at all. It's in the ballpark of like 30-50 years. Ish.

Lutra

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 19 2015, 3:09 AM 

Player

I thought that the timeline had been extended there as well at the beginning of 2013 like in the case of Kohl.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 20 2015, 4:56 AM 

Player

If the timeline was extended it 2013, it was never documented in the timeline topic.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 20 2015, 5:04 AM 

Player

Yeah, Kohlingen went from being a decade old to over a century.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 20 2015, 5:09 AM 

Player

Kohlingen's date was pushed back far previous to 2013. See: The Tale of Sword Saint Nabessa. Bendir is still 14 years old, though, and Shadowscape only a single generation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]