View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2012, 2:13 AM 

Player

This thread contains the following:

The Compiled Shadowdancer Information Thread wrote:
This is the Most Important SD-related Anything --> :!: Shadowdancer Abilities and Clarification :!: <-- Read this because it's gorgeous and official and I know you're not looking at the thread it's in on your own.

That contains incredibly relevant information and may answer questions you have before you need to ask them.

... but the link is broken. Does anyone have a copy of what had been linked there, or a link to wherever that info is currently hiding (possibly in plain sight, haha)?

Last edited by Liz on Wed, Jul 17 2013, 18:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2012, 3:35 AM 

Player

I'M SORRY. Pretty much every link in that got broken when the forum was hacked and then migrated. Some of those posts it linked to don't even exist anywhere, anymore, I think. :|

It may be some some stuff survived behind the scenes in the DM side, but I wouldn't know about that. I hope, hope, hope...

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2012, 16:17 PM 

Player

Afraid that one's gone entirely. I can't even honestly remember what it said, at this point.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2012, 19:04 PM 

Player

I think it was some of the development stuff that Tormak, BrainSplitter, Mahtan and some others had all agreed upon. I think that some of the quotes from the second post in that thread were from the Abilities and Clarification thread.

I guess it's time to start a new one. We can use this thread for that, then compile it into one tidy, neat thread again, and I can change the link in the indexed info thread to refer to the new, shiny Abilities and Clarification thread?

LetumLux

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 09 2012, 23:46 PM 

Player

DM (i.e, official) answers only for the following, please.

I'll compile these and other such Q&A submitted for an update/overhaul of The Compiled Shadowdancer Information Thread. Some of these questions may be remedial, but I figure this is a good opportunity to make the information fresh again, and assure that nothing has changed about what we remember, or think we remember, about the Amian Shadowdancer PrC. This is a good chance to set straight misconceptions that may have been perpetuated IC from misunderstandings.

Please post questions in a concise-ish fashion so I can make a clean Copy-Paste of them over to the compiled thread. :D

Shadow Jump

• Can Shadow Jump be used on Planes other than the Plane of Shadow, such as the Abyss?
  • Are shadows considered to be everywhere during night time hours for the purposes of Shadow Jump, essentially "freeing" it from having to be a Jump from object-to-object?
  • Is the Shadow Jump Feat automatically upgraded to Greater Shadow Jump at level Shadowdancer 10?
  • Can a PC who is blind or blinded still Shadow Jump?
  • Can one Shadowdancer carry another Shadowdancer capable of Shadow Jump through a Jump? *

* This question in particular needs a clear answer, I think; it was mentioned IG years ago that non-SDs could not be taken through a Jump, but another SD could be taken maybe.

Summoned Shade

• Is the Shade an undead?
  • Is the Shade incorporeal?
  • Is it composed of Negative Energy?
  • Can the Shade communicate with anyone other than the Shadowdancer that summoned it?
  • Is the nature (creature type, etc) of the summoned Shade considered common knowledge?

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10 2012, 3:24 AM 

Player

I can answer everything, save for one.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Can Shadow Jump be used on Planes other than the Plane of Shadow, such as the Abyss?

Yes.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Are shadows considered to be everywhere during night time hours for the purposes of Shadow Jump, essentially "freeing" it from having to be a Jump from object-to-object?

Yes, and no. Artificially created light sources (such as torches and lamps) will still prevent Shadow Jump.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Is the Shadow Jump Feat automatically upgraded to Greater Shadow Jump at level Shadowdancer 10?

No. A DM must be asked. It is free of charge and requires no request as long as you already have the Lesser variant.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Can a PC who is blind or blinded still Shadow Jump?

Yes. A Shadowdancer has the proficiency to feel out the presence of shadows without the necessity of sight.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Can one Shadowdancer carry another Shadowdancer capable of Shadow Jump through a Jump? *

Yes. As long as the passenger has Shadowdancer levels, they may be carried through a Jump.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Is the Shade an undead?

No.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Is the Shade incorporeal?

Yes.

LetumLux wrote:
  • Can the Shade communicate with anyone other than the Shadowdancer that summoned it?

Only the Shadowdancer may communicate with their Shade. However, the Shade is able to communicate in other means, if possible (such as hand signs and other forms of non-verbal communication).

LetumLux wrote:
  • Is the nature (creature type, etc) of the summoned Shade considered common knowledge?

Among common populace, no, it would not be a known thing, especially given how similar their appearance is to the undead Shadow Fiend creature. But, anyone who spends enough time at the Three Steps Academy to educate themselves (or simply knows a Shadowdancer who can tell them) would be able to discover their nature easily enough. It is not secret knowledge.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10 2012, 9:52 AM 

Player

The one you skipped: it is a negative energy life form, isn't it? That's why the question whether it's undead is one of definition: it exhibits many traits of incorporeal undead and clearly doesn't belong in this world, but it hasn't actually ever been alive so that separates it from noncontroversial undead. What those PCs aware of the distinction make of it is one thing, but isn't it true that the empirical evidence in game supports both conclusions? (That is, it does have negative-energy-based, undead immunities and weaknesses, right?)

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10 2012, 14:56 PM 

Player

No, it does not have undead weaknesses nor many of its immunities.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11 2012, 0:40 AM 

Player

Hide in Plain Sight

• What is the minimum size a shadow within 10 feet has to be to use HIPS?
  • Can a shadow of sufficient size have "holes" in it and still be usable for HIPS, or must it be a "solid" shadow? (Ex. a large shadow cast from a lattice/tree branches)
  • Can HIPS be used if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them, but there are still objects to cast shadows within 10 feet of them?
  • Can HIPS be used in Darkness even if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them?

Shadow Jump

• What is the minimum size an entry shadow has to be to Shadow Jump through it?
  • What is the minimum size a destination shadow has to be to Shadow Jump through it?
  • Can a shadow of sufficient size have "holes" in it and still be usable for Shadow Jump, or must it be a "solid" shadow? (Ex. a large shadow cast from a lattice/tree branches)
  • Can Shadow Jump be used if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them?
  • Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump in to or out of Darkness?
  • Does a PC have to be standing exactly in a shadow in order to Shadow Jump, or is there leniency for being close enough?

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 09 2012, 19:40 PM 

Player

Bümp so this isn't forgotten. Compiled SD Info thread should be finished (sans some format shuffling) when these are added in. Of course, it'll always be ready to receive more info, as new Q&A arises, changes occur, and so forth.

(It's so much prettier than the Compiled Kobold ones now, but I guess that's appropriate...)

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 26 2012, 16:53 PM 

Player

Just wanted to add a question to this list.

Will a SD's abilities work while actually /on-in/ the Ethereal plane?

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16 2013, 22:13 PM 

Player

This is for all of the SD abilities:

Does [x ability] require verbal and/or somatic components to use?

(Ex. Can the Shade be summoned while your hands are bound? Can Shadow Daze be cast while your mouth is gagged? Etc.)

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16 2013, 22:20 PM 

Player

Spell-like abilities and Supernatural abilities don't require verbals or somatics unless their descriptions explicitly say so, which the SD abilities don't. (That's of course a PnP rule, which Amia DMs are welcome to override if they want.)

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16 2013, 22:44 PM 

Player

Yeah, the latter part is why I bothered to ask. I wasn't completely certain if that had been changed for Amia, and I want to make sure that there are as few of those question unanswered as possible. :D

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 17 2013, 16:59 PM 

Player

No SD abilities should work on the Etheral plane due to the fact that the shadow plane does not touch it. It is one of the few planes that does not connect to the plane of shadow and as a result there are no shadows. This would effectively block of an SD from being able to use their powers.

PS. I find myself going around responding to old posts that have probably already been answered *Facepalm* I need to check the submitted dates...

Bear with me as I get back into the swing of things haha

Fel'Brin - I am one with the shadows

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 17 2013, 17:04 PM 

Player

The SD abilities have nothing to do with planar mechanics in core lore. I understand Amia has changed this (I haven't bothered to read up on it, though), but that seems like the kind of potentially unintended consequence that would have to be specified separately. If the abilities work and are supposed to work normally regardless of plane, then some obscure fact of planar alignment probably shouldn't matter.

Not that I see a situation in which it's relevant. Isn't the Ethereal Plane practically a sea of fumes you just passively float through when you use it for magical travel? There probably aren't any shadows there, and not exactly a lot of inhabitants to fight with. Or, you know, not even anything to stand on.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Last edited by IronAngel on Sun, Feb 17 2013, 19:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 17 2013, 18:57 PM 

Player

I'm fairly confident of the answers already, but we're looking to have solid DM confirmation of them, so that the information can be added to the Compiled Info Thread as official, and point to a source if necessary. :D

Mahtan

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 17 2013, 19:52 PM 

Player

Everything SDs do is somatic, nothing is verbal. In regards to them being able to perform abilities with their hands bound, I say yes, they are not mages, they are SDs. SDing does not require fancy hand motion while you stand in place, it requires foot work as you slip between shadows. So if someone does not bound up a SD making sure it can not move at all, then they deserve to be bested by it for not being educated thinking the same tricks that hinder mages work on SDs.

As for the summoning, no verbal or somatic's are required save for willing the thing there, and the conditions are correct, that being your own shadow is cast. Consider it a somatic spell and you have still spell. Obviously under light effect or a shadow-less room the Dancer would need to use somatic's to create the needed shadows under the given circumstances.

That's probably the best way to think of Somatic SDing. They move to have the Shadows in the right condition for the right situation. While that is a bit difficult to handle in game it should still be know for events and forum posts. Or if you do face well informed and skilled PCs that create these conditions that hinder a SD.

Custom SD abilities I can not say, it is up to the requester in truth and how it was requested and the details of that specific ability and if the DM team agrees.

As for the Ethereal Plane, it is Parallel to the Shadow Plane, they never touch ever. There is no Shadows on the Ethereal, they simply can not exist. Amia follows the Variant Shadow Plane SDs found in the Manual of Planes and has been expanded by fellow SD lore monkey's and myself.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 17 2013, 23:05 PM 

Player

I think it would be fair to say there are hand motions involved in Shadow Daze.

Mahtan

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18 2013, 0:20 AM 

Player

That I agree with yes.

exquisitelyme

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 5:30 AM 

Player

@Liz: This is what I found, the pertinent issue with Shadow Weave belongs to Tome of Magic 3.5.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowdancer

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 5:33 AM 

Player

Whoever wrote that is way off. The only source cited is the 3.5 Edition DMG, which couldn't have mentioned the Shadow Weave, since the Shadow Weave does not exist in core D&D. It's wholly a FR invention.

The Tome of Magic doesn't mention a Shadow Weave in connection with shadowdancers, either (it's not a Forgotten Realms source either). It does say, "Shadowdancers pierce the borders of the Plane of Shadow when they make use of their abilities, even if they remain ignorant of that fact." (Page 110.) The sidebar section "The Shadow Weave of Toril" (also page 110) doesn't associate SDs with the Shadow Weave at all, it only refers to mages.

My contention, supported by stuff my SD learned in game and by this thread, is that there is no relationship at all between SDs and the Shadow Weave. SDs are powered exclusively by the Plane of Shadow, not the Shadow Weave.

Last edited by Liz on Fri, May 24 2013, 5:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.

exquisitelyme

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 5:39 AM 

Player

I stand (and sit again) corrected, will edit my erroneus posts. Thanks Liz.

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 5:54 AM 

Player

Well you don't have to just take my word for it, I'm no more authoritative than you are. :)

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 6:32 AM 

Player

NinjaClarinet wrote:
Shadow Magic is spells and abilities that draw on the plane of shadow, or shadowstuff, to fuel them. Many illusions spells, the shadow caster classes, and shadowdancers, all use various type of "shadow magic". Shadow Magic doesn't use the Shadow Weave. It can, and the Shadow Weave is more suited for shadow magic, but either Weave can be used for shadow magic. Most shadowdancer abilities are listed as supernatural. This means they access to weave to use them. Which weave, is entirely dependent on the character IMO.

Reposted for posterity. Granted, I'm not a DM, but it's a topic pretty close to my dark little heart :P

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 13:45 PM 

Player

I'll post this again here.

When a shadowdancer utilizes a technique, they are not using the weave or the shadowweave.

serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 14:25 PM 

Player

If it's a Supernatural ability, it /has/ to use Weave. That's just the way it works in FR. This "connection to the Plane of Shadow" either only exists through passive Weave manipulation (that is, by virtue of taking the class, SDs affect the Weave in such a way as to provide this connection), or the connection can only be manipulated via the Weave. I don't quite know which, though the former would include the latter.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 14:38 PM 

Player

It's been taught like it doesn't use the weave at least.

And not all supernatural abilities use weave. For instance, monks abilities are not magic yet are classified under the supernatural ability.

From the discussions I have had while on this server, we determined that SD abilites do not function in an antimagic field, but you are not utilizing the weave in order to call upon the power of the shadowplane. More like you are constantly connected to the shadowplane itself.

serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 15:49 PM 

Player

Monk abilities do rely on the Weave, actually.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 15:53 PM 

Player

My mistake then, i thought psionics were something different

CouncilofAutumn

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 17:11 PM 

Player

serbiris wrote:
Monk abilities do rely on the Weave, actually.

[Citation Needed]

serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 17:23 PM 

Player

Yeah okay except Ex abilities, shush. All supernatural relies on Weave, that's in Magic of Faerun. I knew someone would call me on my nonspecificity but I liked my post too much to edit it.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 17:56 PM 

Player

Do you know where in the book it mentions that about supernatural abilities? the more I read the more I come to think that is wrong. Supernatural abilities need not draw on the weave at all.

serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 18:12 PM 

Player

Oh my bad - Page 54 of the FRCS, plain as day. Not MoF. Sorry!

@Thanatopsis#6293

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 18:17 PM 

Player

Hrothmus wrote:
When a shadowdancer utilizes a technique, they are not using the weave or the shadowweave.
Is it your contention then that SD abilities would still work in a dead-magic area? (Defined in FR as an area from which the Weave has unraveled and no longer touches.)

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 18:30 PM 

Player

Hrothmus wrote:
NinjaClarinet wrote:
Shadow Magic is spells and abilities that draw on the plane of shadow, or shadowstuff, to fuel them. Many illusions spells, the shadow caster classes, and shadowdancers, all use various type of "shadow magic". Shadow Magic doesn't use the Shadow Weave. It can, and the Shadow Weave is more suited for shadow magic, but either Weave can be used for shadow magic. Most shadowdancer abilities are listed as supernatural. This means they access to weave to use them. Which weave, is entirely dependent on the character IMO.

SD abilites do not use the weave or shadowweave... but rather their connection to the plane of shadows.

Ill bow out of this thread for now and head to the one liz mentioned to keep this on track... yall need to come to some of my Shadowdancing classes lol

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: The Weave wrote:
All spells, magic items, spell-like abilities, and even supernatural abilities such as a ghost's ability to walk through walls, depend on the Weave and call on it in different ways.

HIPS, Shadow Jump, Summon Shadow, Shadow Daze, and Shadow Evade are all listed as SU. Thus, the above applies. Yes, they utilize a connection to the plane of shadows...a connection manipulated through whichever weave they are attuned to. It's also been ruled that SD abilities DO NOT function in dead magic zones, which further supports the above interpretation.

PS: The little jab "ya'll need to learn to play your class" isn't appreciated or appropriate.

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Fri, May 24 2013, 18:40 PM 

Player

Liz wrote:
Hrothmus wrote:
Is it your contention then that SD abilities would still work in a dead-magic area? (Defined in FR as an area from which the Weave has unraveled and no longer touches.)

We had this discussion a while back amongst the SD masters ICly. As shadowdancing had been taught and explained and theorized it made sense to me that it would indeed function in a dead magic zone. But, a while after that there was a discussion on the forums about it where I believe it was decided that SD abilities do NOT function in an anti magic zone.

Im getting a little confused at this point myself.

One source the FRCS lays a blanket statement saying that all supernatural abilities utilize the weave.

Then you have the Magic of Fauren book that states that even spellcasting necessarily does not requite the weave. And that supernatural abilities can also come from the shadow weave

And I've also been looking at online sites specifically stating that monks abilities are not magic, yet they are supernatural.

I always envisioned shadowdancers and shadowcasters as using their own tie to the plane of shadows to manipulate shadow essence (which by Amia lore, is a byproduct of expended weave usage). I always imagined it as a mind over matter type deal.

That's how I was taught it, that's how I teach it, and that's how I view it.

Not necessarily saying that is right.

If Mahtan or Sune want to make some sort statement like was done with the anti-magic zone thing a while back. I'll of course be happy to realign my thinking and teaching styles.

Not trying to sound stubborn or anything. I'm just confused is all lol

//edit: didn't mean for that to be a personal jab, in retrospect yeah that's what it looks like.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 21 2013, 6:39 AM 

Player

LetumLux wrote:
    Hide in Plain Sight

• What is the minimum size a shadow within 10 feet has to be to use HIPS?
  • Can a shadow of sufficient size have "holes" in it and still be usable for HIPS, or must it be a "solid" shadow? (Ex. a large shadow cast from a lattice/tree branches)
  • Can HIPS be used if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them, but there are still objects to cast shadows within 10 feet of them?
  • Can HIPS be used in Darkness even if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them?

Shadow Jump

• What is the minimum size an entry shadow has to be to Shadow Jump through it?
  • What is the minimum size a destination shadow has to be to Shadow Jump through it?
  • Can a shadow of sufficient size have "holes" in it and still be usable for Shadow Jump, or must it be a "solid" shadow? (Ex. a large shadow cast from a lattice/tree branches)
  • Can Shadow Jump be used if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them?
  • Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump in to or out of Darkness?
  • Does a PC have to be standing exactly in a shadow in order to Shadow Jump, or is there leniency for being close enough?
  • Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump while being grappled? Wrist-bound? Chained to the wall?
  • Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump in complete mundane darkness, such as certain regions of the Underdark or a pitch black room?

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 21 2013, 21:32 PM 

Player

Q: What is the minimum size a shadow within 10 feet has to be to use HIPS?
A: Half the size of your body.

Q. Can a shadow of sufficient size have "holes" in it and still be usable for HIPS, or must it be a "solid" shadow? (Ex. a large shadow cast from a lattice/tree branches)
A. Yes. Imagine the required half the size of your body as a square area - if there are holes in it, it will need to be a larger shadow to make up for the missing pieces.

Q. Can HIPS be used if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them, but there are still objects to cast shadows within 10 feet of them?
A. Yes, though bear in Light has a radius of 20 feet; twice that of the range a Shadowdancer needs to HiPS.

Q. Can HIPS be used in Darkness even if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them?
A. Yes.

Q. What is the minimum size an entry shadow has to be to Shadow Jump through it?
A. Same as HiPS.

Q. What is the minimum size a destination shadow has to be to Shadow Jump through it?
A. ""

Q. Can a shadow of sufficient size have "holes" in it and still be usable for Shadow Jump, or must it be a "solid" shadow? (Ex. a large shadow cast from a lattice/tree branches)
A. It can have holes. Same situation as the HiPS example.

Q. Can Shadow Jump be used if the shadowdancer has Light cast on them?
A. Same situation as HiPS.

Q. Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump in to or out of Darkness?
A. Yes.

Q. Does a PC have to be standing exactly in a shadow in order to Shadow Jump, or is there leniency for being close enough?
A. There's leniency, especially with the vagueness of NWN shadows; some shadows are there when they shouldn't be, some aren't there when they should.

Q. Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump while being grappled? Wrist-bound? Chained to the wall?
A. They must have at least enough control of their body in order to perform a 'real' jump. Wrist-bound is fine; grappled or chained likely not.

Q. Can a Shadowdancer Shadow Jump in complete mundane darkness, such as certain regions of the Underdark or a pitch black room?
A. Yes.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2013, 1:29 AM 

Player

Thanks! Updated the Compiled Info thread.

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:03 AM 

Player

"Occasionally, animals and monsters would wander or fall into a vortex to the Shadow Plane and become trapped there. Those that survived eventually took on shadow-given abilities, carved out a niche in the ecosystem, and preyed on whatever attracted their attention. Examples included apes, basilisks, bears, owlbears, rats, umber hulks, and wolves."

-Manual of the Planes 3rd edition.

Would it be feasable to suggest if a society had a nearby rift of relative size, they could lure a large, aggressive being into it?

If so, would there be any types it wouldn't work for?

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17 2013, 13:42 PM 

Player

You could lure a large creature in to a vortex, yes. Whether or not it survives long enough on the plane to begin adapting to the plane itself is something else.

The plane is morphic and has a profound effect on the creatures that live there. That being said, its not a particularly quick change. Biological changes usually take many years to begin to manifest themselves. You typically see people and creatures changing that have lived there for quite some time. Also if a species resides on the plane and procreates, each successive surviving generation would be more changed by the plane.

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17 2013, 15:53 PM 

Player

Hrothmus wrote:
Also if a species resides on the plane and procreates, each successive surviving generation would be more changed by the plane.

So effectively the longer a new species is introduced and continues to survive, it effectively mutates with the Plane like an infection?

Are residents in Shadowscape also undergoing similar processes?

when met"

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17 2013, 16:16 PM 

Player

Yaster Galer wrote:
Hrothmus wrote:
Also if a species resides on the plane and procreates, each successive surviving generation would be more changed by the plane.

So effectively the longer a new species is introduced and continues to survive, it effectively mutates with the Plane like an infection?

Are residents in Shadowscape also undergoing similar processes?

Yes, If you survive long enough, you begin to adapt and change. The plane of shadows is really much more hostile than some people think it is. Food and water quickly stale and become poison. There are faces and whispers in the darkness that can drive you insane. Negative energy pockets are everywhere. The creatures there are silent and deadly killers.

Its not an easy task to survive in such a place. Normal humans even rarely are able to survive in it for extended periods.

The citizens of shadowscape would indeed have been affected by the plane. Probably similar to the way that the Shadovar were affected by their extended stay on the plane of shadows.

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17 2013, 16:41 PM 

Player

Ah I see. One last question, can these changes from the Shadow Plane be innate or 'seeded' that can slowly manifest themselves over time and not under the effect of continued exposure? In other words, can the taint appear in the being while they're in the Prime?

when met"

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17 2013, 16:43 PM 

Player

Well if such changes were innate, they would probably be as a result of their ancestors being heavily influenced by the Plane. Theres nothing to say that these changes cannot lie dormant though and slowly manifest themselves at a different time in their child's life though

NAUX

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 12 2013, 15:44 PM 

Player

Sorry for the necro.

Im curious about the use of Shades. As a shade is neither dead or alive but calls upon the plane of shadows for it's existence; whilst it is on the prime material plane, is it also at the same time still on the shadow plane, or at least able to move between each plane at an instant?

I'd like to explore the possibility of using my shade as both a guide and communicator with spirits that may be passing through, or trapped on the shadow plane whilst on their way to the fugue plane.

As the shade can only communicate with me, I feel it would offer some unique gameplay, so if the answers a "No", could you please give some explanation on the use of Shades and the limitations of their use?

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 12 2013, 15:45 PM 

Player

I don't believe the planes of shadow has anything to do with the afterlife. (Unless, of course, you follow Mask or Shar.)

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 12 2013, 15:51 PM 

Player

I was Ninja'd by Ninja! :)

That's what I was going to say, too. Even if your shade can report to you about things it sees in the adjacent reaches of the Shadow plane (which sounds perfectly plausible to me), there's no reason it would be seeing the spirits of the dead there.

NAUX

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 12 2013, 15:56 PM 

Player

I'm probably going to get schooled here as this information is probably vastly out of date or irrelevant to Amia.

Source: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Plane_of_Shadow

"In 1385 DR, the Year of Blue Fire, Shar succeeded in engineering the murder of Mystra by Cyric, plunging the multiverse into years of upheaval and chaos called the Spellplague. The Elemental and Energy Planes collapsed into the Elemental Chaos but not before Shar managed to manipulate some of the necrotic energies from the Negative Energy Plane and inject it into the Plane of Shadow.[9] Such was the power of this combination that the souls of the dead began to be drawn to this altered plane and had to pass through it before reaching their final judgment on the Fugue Plane.[39] Shar called her new creation the Shadowfell."

Is the Shadowfell any different other than name to the Shadow Plane the two seem very much the same?

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next