View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 11 2018, 5:51 AM 

Player

Greetings, individuals!

I’ve been looking into Cordor lore, particularly pertaining to Cordor West. I’ve been intrigued by a particular detail that confuses me in its vague wording from the Cordor Information Thread.

The people of Cordor West have a bitter rivalry with the people of the rest of Cordor, believing that the old administration were the proper rulers of Cordor and that those that ousted them are traitors.

Seeing as West Cordor abhors the duchy and nobility, what is this old administration meant to be? The provisional government, even with the Arcanum? This has bothered me for a while, even before I started reading into the Cordor lore some more.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 11 2018, 23:10 PM 

Developer

The old administration is indeed, the Provisional Government of Cordor. More specifically Joseph Maximillion's version of it. When he had his revolution, it had the theme of common man against the nobility, and that still resonates.

Whether or not it's true, they believe that the Arcanum were simply an alliance he made to make his vision happen, and that the Arcanum later betrayed the ideal. The Arcanum AKA Ministry of Magic were never particularly liked even when the Provisional Government was still around, but more tolerated as a weapon against the aggression of the nobility.

Later on of course, that changed, and the Arcanum became the enemy of the people. In fact, that was Joseph's last mandate, before the Arcanum killed him. Later on Mover also sided with the Arcanum, and Dirk was able to convince the people of West Cordor that Mover had also betrayed them.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:05 AM 

Player

Quote:
The Arcanum AKA Ministry of Magic were never particularly liked even when the Provisional Government was still around,

Some wild revisionist history there. The Ministry of Magic was widely loved as a tool against adventurers and the nobility, and attempts to dissuade otherwise went afoul once Reyes, Tytalus, and the Arcanum were able to use the power of the Keystone and their command over leylines to enforce a low level sympathy spell on the populace that kept public opinion from ever really turning against them... which was why it was so difficult to make legitimate political headway against them until the very end, when those powers were shattered. The Ministry of Magic, after all, were the ones who had originally taken the abdicated Duke of Cordor into custody and began worknig with Maximillian on ensuring a RULE OF THE PEOPLE happened.

A prison break and explosion some time later courtesy of KNOWN CORDOR TRAITORS Yurioji and Mynna changed quite a bit when Duke Montgomery died in the happenings.

Maximillian's paranoia is, of course, all his own, and not generally reflective of everything else happening... but that was pretty part for the course with Max. There were a few others who had their misgivings about the way the Ministry of Magic and the Arcanum operated, but this wa slargely during the very endgame of the situation, when things became clearer and the powers the Arcanum exerted over the populace began to wane. Even the ones who did have misgivings or understood what was going on had very little power to alter things to the contrary. Or they got killed. RIP.

Quote:
Whether or not it's true, they believe that the Arcanum were simply an alliance he made to make his vision happen, and that the Arcanum later betrayed the ideal.

It honestly blows my mind in the wake of the plotline that a concentrated group of people could have this opinion about the Arcanum, tbh.

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 12 2018, 16:37 PM 

Player

Well..the People in the West are falling under the "homo novus" in every aspect. The original West Cordorians were predominantly the nobles the merchant aristocracy. Some were both. The current West Cordorians are the ones who helped the prov. gov. to throw them out as hybrid elements in their political warfare (Much like how the real Maximillian did during the Jacobite reign when throwing the Sans-culottes on reactionists or nobles during the French revolution) of the Duchal administration.

Now that some of the old guard is back and the new ones are also present the resentment is also due to their fear that there will be a revision on how they have occupied their current homes which would be justified in a certain way but so far no suggestion was made on any kind of revision when it comes to that. Still the hostile sentiment is out of fear because they were indeed killing people and then stole their homes.

The separatist/ independence sentiment was more due to that and not because they felt separate necessarily and also (and very importantly) due to player activity there (the ones that Kobra mentioned). During the kingpin era there was a dependency on the kingpins due to various reasons. During the blood thing that kobra mentioned a hostility emerged between the West and the Rest, also people usually considered Westerners are criminals or slum people due to that. Furthermore the kingpin era offered lower wages and thus the local relied on the "donations" of the kingpins.

Now that player activity on that front dropped and other activities promoted job offers to the West Cordorians that tension eased. Players donated money to get them jobs for real wages thus their own self-respect emerged. Don't get me wrong though..the West is still not a nice place to go at night (and day). The fact that no revision was suggested on the house occupying are also helping a bit but still the current "relative peace" is very fragile and at this point whatever will happen is left open for player activity. Something is happening there nowadays from what I can see!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]