Player

-----------------------------------------------------
:arrow: The absolute beginner

Nothing much could happen
Nothing we can't shake
Oh we're absolute beginners
With nothing much at stake

First of all you need to think about what you want. Amia is not a World of Warcraft or Guild Wars clone. We're using a somewhat older game, we have a somewhat older player community, and don't allow names such as "..||xxss-P0wnz0r-Drizzt-ssxx||..". On the other hand, we think that Amia has far more depth than the aforementioned games.

So, you are sure you want to play Amia. Grab a copy of Neverwinter Nights (NWN) and its 2 expansions, Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. Make sure you update it to version 1.69. My suggestion is to download the Critical Rebuild and run it if you update a fresh Neverwinter Nights installation.

You also need our HAK pack. You can find it here.

The second step would be downloading our optional head and hands packs. You don't need them to play but you might see people without heads or have to endure the ugly default club hands if you do not use them. You can find the files here. Extract these files in your override folder in without making any new folders inside your override folder. You find the override folder in your Neverwinter Nights game folder.

Now it's time to play!

:arrow: First steps into Amia

And even though it’s moving forward
It’s just the right amount of awkward
And today you accidentally called me baby

We have two servers. Amia: Island is the busiest, and contains most of the areas we started with in 2005. It has a nice learning curve, especially if you start in Cordor.

I advise you to start with a human fighter if this is the first time you play NWN. It's pretty low-brow, you don't have to bother with comparing your manual and the changes we made to a lot of standard NWN mechanics, and you can take a few hits. Let's go for bread-and-butter: take longsword as your weapon, take at least 17 strength (always handy for carrying as much loot as possible), 13 dex and 13 int. This will make you a happy Weaponmaster after a while.

You can obviously ignore this recommendation and make yourself a more exotic character with our selection of subraces.

A remark about names is in order. For the love of all that's Roleplay... please make a sensible name for your character. The First Name + Last name genre will do perfectly well. Don't use names that are well-known (Gandalf) or just nouns (Death). Just use what the random name generator creates and change a few syllables if you're unsure what to do.

When you enter the first area of Amia (conveniently called "Welcome to Amia" but also known as "The Entry") you see a mirror. Click it and follow the instructions. You are new, so do as the mirror suggests.

Cordor is big and you can get lost quite easily. You should keep one thing in mind: it is inspired by the city of Venice, with its Canal Grande. There's a big canal dividing Cordor, and it's not always possible to cross it. The best way to learn to know the city is taking a job at Speedy's Messenger Services. You can find it East of the Temple of Waukeen, the place where you went to after the mirror's dialogue. Speedy's errands will bring you to each of the 4 districts of Cordor (and get you to your 3rd level in a painless way).

A relatively safe way to start your life as an adventurer is also the most unhygienic one: cleaning out the sewers. There are entrances in every district but Cordor West. Venture Northwards and you will probably end up in Kobold territory. You could also try your hand on some easy quests: Farmer Holvin in Cordor North gives you one, for instance.

:arrow: These forums

I make some coffee, I eat some rice chocs
and then I sit down to check my inbox

Generally people are very helpful, although they like to have an argument about almost anything, including such innocent questions as "where can I find a shop that sells a good sword?". Don't take it as a personal insult when people tell you to ask while you are in the game, it's just how we do things around here. One thing I advise against, however, is to start your first post with "I come from this other server that does everything different and you should redesign your server to look the same". You will get annoyed comments. A thing you should do is posting a little message with an introduction in Off Topic. It's the best way to make a positive impression.

A little hint: Make a bookmark to http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/ so you don't have to get past the introduction screen all the time.

:arrow: Rules

Oh, I make mistakes
And you just say it's growing pains

Assuming you are sensible and not a pathological crook you probably haven't much need for the rules, save for the occasional browse. The short version is what you find in your ingame journal. Expanded rules are found in the sidebar and the Rules & Lore forum. The latter is something between an archeological dig, goldmine, and maze. We really should be better administrators, but we aren't.

:arrow: Special systems

I don't know why you gotta be so undemanding
One thing I know: I want more

If you want to try something else than killing monsters to get XP you can do two things: impress the DM's by your fabulous roleplay which gets you a lot of Dream Coins, or trying the Job System.
Dream Coins are not really coins (they used to be, hence the name) but they can be used to request special things for your character or to gain gold and XP.
Crafting items beyond the expected, but streamlined, tailoring options is done with the Mythal Crafting System. This can be a bit daunting to start with but most players will be happy to help you.
Are you playing a Cleric or some other religious type? Check out our Deity System. It covers most deities available in the Forgotten Realms setting.

:arrow: Go your own way

If I could maybe I'd give you my world.
How can I when you wont take it from me?

This page is not meant to be an exhausting overview of options and possibilities. You will have to find your own way. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you are still feeling lost.

Good luck!

(Credit for this post goes to Disco.)