View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186
Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, May 15 2015, 22:16 PM 

Player

viewtopic.php?f=20&p=1121583#p1121583
If you have the right one for the summon type, goes from turns/level to hour/level (so double duration).

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Tequilus

PostPosted: Fri, May 15 2015, 22:21 PM 

Player

Haha thanks, clearly I just failed at reading :D

davis114

PostPosted: Mon, May 18 2015, 20:32 PM 

Player

Dex based monk. Thinkin' strongheart halfling, cause I've never played a halfling and that's just wrong. Or a deep gnome. The bonuses on that are better for monk, but it'd be more difficult to rp, I imagine.

20 monk/ 5 ftr / 3 rogue? Unarmed, 'cause I just don't like kamas.

Or do I want to mix in SD to get ED easier? Also, never played a monk, so I don't know what their BAB is. Would I need to sprinkle a few ftr levels pre epic?

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 1:30 AM 

Player

davis114 wrote:
Dex based monk. Thinkin' strongheart halfling, cause I've never played a halfling and that's just wrong. Or a deep gnome. The bonuses on that are better for monk, but it'd be more difficult to rp, I imagine.

20 monk/ 5 ftr / 3 rogue? Unarmed, 'cause I just don't like kamas.

Or do I want to mix in SD to get ED easier? Also, never played a monk, so I don't know what their BAB is. Would I need to sprinkle a few ftr levels pre epic?

Well, if you want epic dodge, you would need either 5 Shadowdancer levels or 10 Rogue to get defensive roll (Which is half the prerequisite for ED) In addition to the 9 Monk (Which gives Improved Evasion, the other required feat.)

Monks are 3/4 BAB, so if you want the full attacks per round, you'd need to toss in 4 Fighter levels pre-epic. (And by full, I mean 6 :P )

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 2:44 AM 

Player

Noted. Although I'd want EWS if I'm not getting sneak dmg. But that means giving up the mind immunity. Hrm.

Worth it for ED. I'd immediately say 18 monk/ 5 ftr, and 5 sd.

But, if I'm going to get the 5 sd, I may as well get me some HIPS. And since I really only need 16 monk if I'm not going to 20, I may as well grab me another ftr feat.

So! 16 monk/ 6 ftr/ 6sd? I'll have to do the feat rundown and make sure on the order, but how viable would that be?

MoshingChris wrote:

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 3:29 AM 

Player

That could work very nicely if you order it properly!

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 3:35 AM 

Player

Only bummer would be no UMD. But, EWS, decent discipline and listen or spot...maybe even room for prowess. Alrighty then. I'll go play with it and see what I come up with

MoshingChris wrote:

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 4:33 AM 

Player

Need to play a bit more. But, it looks like mid 60's AC, plus ED, and mid 40's AB. So not horrible. Decent naked saves too, even though con takes a hit with the deep gnome subrace.

Is the damage range different on Amia for a lvl 16 monk as opposed to default nwn? I had it at 2-12, but that seems wrong.

And would 16 monk/ 10 rogue / 2 ftr be more viable for the snk damage, or are you better off going more APR?

MoshingChris wrote:

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 11:55 AM 

DM

davis114 wrote:
Need to play a bit more. But, it looks like mid 60's AC, plus ED, and mid 40's AB. So not horrible. Decent naked saves too, even though con takes a hit with the deep gnome subrace.

Is the damage range different on Amia for a lvl 16 monk as opposed to default nwn? I had it at 2-12, but that seems wrong.

And would 16 monk/ 10 rogue / 2 ftr be more viable for the snk damage, or are you better off going more APR?

Monk's end with 1-20 base damage with their fists.

As for sneak vs attacks per round. Well, you won't notice that missing sixth attack at all. In pvp 40 AB and five attacks per turn means you will only hit on 20s for the last 2 attacks or so anyway. In PvE that is where attacks per round really shines because mobs aren't going to be sporting insane AC most of the time.

So APR is really strong for PvE and not so much for PvP. It is based purely on your AB mind you but monks never have cleric level ab to make a difference.

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 13:35 PM 

Player

I always have favored corner sneaking over HIPS. And it's not like it would be hard on a monk. Course, with IKD, the lack of EWS wouldn't be so bad, since even after the first flurry I can stand and fight for quite a while without too many issues. So IKD and sneak some more. Plus the extra skills from the rogue levels would be handy. Taking any melee character without EWS kinda hurts my soul though.

I suppose I'm leaning that direction. I'll have to test and see how badly it gimps my AB to take no fighter in pre-epic. Also, with the SR, does the engine just use the higher of the two scores? Deep gnomes get the same as drow, but the monk will have some innately. I'm assuming the lower score will just be ignored?

MoshingChris wrote:

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 15:40 PM 

DM

davis114 wrote:
I always have favored corner sneaking over HIPS. And it's not like it would be hard on a monk. Course, with IKD, the lack of EWS wouldn't be so bad, since even after the first flurry I can stand and fight for quite a while without too many issues. So IKD and sneak some more. Plus the extra skills from the rogue levels would be handy. Taking any melee character without EWS kinda hurts my soul though.

I suppose I'm leaning that direction. I'll have to test and see how badly it gimps my AB to take no fighter in pre-epic. Also, with the SR, does the engine just use the higher of the two scores? Deep gnomes get the same as drow, but the monk will have some innately. I'm assuming the lower score will just be ignored?

Correct. Higher SR is used.

Opustus

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 20:47 PM 

Developer

davis114 wrote:

I was about to do the same myself, and I was deliberating between Monk10/Rogue13/Fighter5 and Rogue17/Monk10/Ranger1 and Monk16/Rogue11/Ranger1. Svirfypoo means you're -2 AB unhandier with the kamas and the fists definitely merit the cool factor. Had I ever let my character out of the drawer, I would have probably ended up with the first option, because I'm such a damage junkie and I know it's no good for me.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 22:18 PM 

Player

Stats: 10 /20 (28)/ 8/ 10/ 16/ 6

Monk 16/Rogue 10/Ftr 2 Deep Gnome

Pre Epic feats: Blindfight, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), Toughness, Improved Critical (unarmed strike), Dodge, Skill Focus: Spot,

Epic Feats: Epic Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), Armor Skin, Great Dex, Defensive Roll, Epic Dodge, Epic Prowess

Pre epic Lvls: Monk 16/Rogue 4

So there it is. At least, that's my rough draft. I like the rogue instead of SD. More damage. Plus corner sneaking isn't hard. I absolutely hate that I can't fit EWS though. Thoughts?

I know, Opustus! I generally go for boomy characters. Or at least something that's going to hurt so bad it makes your teeth itch. But it's been at least four years since I made a sneaker, and I've never made a monk. Figured I'd get my buildin' hands dirty again. And that sexy sexy AC/ED combo has been calling my name for years.

MoshingChris wrote:

Casvenx

PostPosted: Tue, May 19 2015, 23:54 PM 

Player

You *could* change that to monk12/rogue10/fighter6. That would drop your fist damage to 1d12, but give you 6 back in minimum damage from WS/EWS, plus give you more APR from fighter4 pre-epic. You'd get two more fighter feats, but they'd go to weapon specializations.

davis114

PostPosted: Wed, May 20 2015, 0:46 AM 

Player

I could. That'd raise my AB a couple too. The question is, does the benefit of 4 ftr levels outweight the loss of 4 monk levels? I'd assume so, since adding that certain damage seems preferable. You'd lose...what? 1 AC, some speed, and some roll damage? And gain AB and feats. Good call. I'll test it. Could be worth a go.

Bad part is you only get 2 ftr in epic levels, and I really don't know what else I'd want in pre-epic feats. I'll have to check it out.

I'll probably take my wisdom down a bit and get some more con, too. A 14 wis should be good enough with as much dex as I'll have.

Can I get EWS at 5 ftr? Wonder if it would be worth it to go 11 rogue for the extra skill points and one more snk dmg lvl.

MoshingChris wrote:

davis114

PostPosted: Wed, May 20 2015, 3:03 AM 

Player

Nope. Not worth it. Lol. I like the extra ftr. A lot. The extra attack per round is great, and the extra feats are even better. That extra attack won't mean a damn thing in PvP, but in PvM I bet it will be useful. So sweet!

Basically, decent saves all around, mid 40's ab with decent equipment and fully buffed dex, not including bless or aid. AC should easily get into the 60's, not including ED.

Any further suggestions before I roll this bad boy out?

MoshingChris wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186