View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
Silkelock

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 05 2015, 17:08 PM 

Player

Hi folks!

Given that this particular subforum is under my caretaking and I have liking for order and neatly organized things I am not above having a free to post topic for you all the come up with ideas for new concepts.

Now that being said I fully expect us all to behave and be polite because making requests makes me nervous too :oops:

For tips, ideas or brainstorming I know there is a thread in the GD forum for this but I did not feel like moving it as I wanted first word ;) It still deserves an honorable mention

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 05 2015, 21:17 PM 

Developer

Could you specify the purpose of the thread for us? Is this based on some other thread? What goes in here? Character concepts, of course, but since this is the build subforum, how is "character concept" linked to that? Do I drop my concept here and ask for a tailor-made build?

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Silkelock

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 05 2015, 21:22 PM 

Player

Oh I would roll with asking questions about concepts or post your own ones in a neatly formatted way, full builds go elsewhere but I think some room to brainstorm things is good :)

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Mikaz

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 06 2015, 9:50 AM 

Player

Could I create a topic where people could voice their character concept, and then I could open another post explaining a possible way to build said character?
I figure this would at least get this fishing forum going and might increase peoples knowledge about the games mechanics.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 06 2015, 16:41 PM 

Player

Any have some character concepts that are: self-righteous holier-than-thou and motivated to implement their views on the game world bouncing around? I have a particular keen interest in assisting to refine and mold these sorts, all features not required.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 06 2015, 18:56 PM 

Player

Rift: While not a new character in the strictest sense, Luca's concept is shifting towards a grey knight style anti-hero that he hasn't quite settled into yet. If you're got ideas, light me up.

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 08 2015, 5:07 AM 

Tester

NinjaClarinet wrote:
Rift: While not a new character in the strictest sense, Luca's concept is shifting towards a grey knight style anti-hero that he hasn't quite settled into yet. If you're got ideas, light me up.

Greyguard. Look them up. Not so much the class itself, but the line they have to walk.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Ylaern

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 17 2015, 21:17 PM 

Player

Any class suggestions for an alchemist type, with a "witcher" vibe, but with a major addiction to the concoctions/herbs? I want to play a burnt out anti-hero with a reliance on his potions, who comes alive for the short time he's under the influence.

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 17 2015, 21:36 PM 

Tester

Include master scout and the herbalist and alchemist jobs.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Ylaern

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 17 2015, 22:35 PM 

Player

Thanks, that looks pretty much spot on mechanics wise for what I'm trying to achieve.

Overneath

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 17 2015, 22:41 PM 

Player

Hopefully I'm using this correctly...

Two base classes, both alike in dignity, in fair Amia where we lay our scene.

Specifically, Swashbuckler and Factotum. Not even necessarily the exact mechanics of either, but the general idea. For the Swashbuckler, a Dexterity-heavy, graceful combatant who excels at hitting without being hit. For the Factotum, a jack-of-all-trades who, and this is the difficult part, can switch their role with some preparation.

So far, I think Swashbuckler is best as some combination of fighter and rogue, possibly with weapon master to take advantage of the critical hit additions the original class had.

Factotum, search me. Being able to switch your party role screams prepared caster, but they would also have to be a damned good skill monkey. The basic roles in this case could best be represented by the MMO standards: tank (preventing damage and taking large amounts of it), DPS (killing things quickly, and I'm also rolling stealth in general here), healbot (self-explanatory), and control (general utility and ending a battle without necessarily doing damage). A wizard/rogue with maybe a little bit of fighter can hit tank by covering themselves in more defensive spells than Helm on a bad day, DPS by taking advantage of those sneak attacks, some natural stealth with invisibility castings, and decent additions from fighter atop the aforementioned spells, that is if they don't just start fireballing everything, and wizards invented being a control class. The only problem is, if party members want healing, they're SoL. THAT SAID, you could get away with cranking Heal to ridiculous levels with gear loadouts, and using party-friendly defensive magic as a sort of anti-damage instead of restoration. Speaking of restoration though, unless you pack scrolls, you can't do much about the really nasty effects like level and ability drain.

Cleric/Rogue/some-kind-of-fighter also has merit, because clerics invented being a healbot, they have absolutely devastating offensive spells and defensive combinations with rogue for DPS, and they can cast all day in plate mail which lends well to tanking. But clerics don't make good controllers. I mean...you can Hammer of the Gods for daze? Does earthquake's knockdown count? Not so much versatility.

Obviously arguments could be made to do things like swap rogue with bard, use classes like paladin or divine champion instead of fighter, and so forth. One thing I will note is that just going pure bard and using scrolls for everything is out of the question. It qualifies, and scrolls are useful, but I want to see a class that can shift well enough on its own merits.

I've typed long enough. Discuss!

Camshaft14

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 18 2015, 13:11 PM 

Player

Hey out there I'm in need of a rebuild for one of my characters and the concept is a paladin of corellon. He's a moon elf any takers on a build?

LetumLux

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 18 2015, 14:17 PM 

Player

I would try to do a Factotum in NWN only if it was for the novelty of the challenge. If I actually wanted to make it work as a good emulation - I wouldn't, because I would never be happy with the meager options in NWN, even with the additions that Amia brings to the table. Factotum is just too versatile for it, and what could you manage to do to pull it off, most others could do, and are already doing to be more self-sufficient. But, if you REALLY WANTED TO... I'd probably base it around a Bard, so at least my sobbing could give my party members bardsong perks.

Camshaft14

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 18 2015, 18:06 PM 

Player

Not a bad idea letum but as a shev who renounced his vow becoming a dabbler in different dieties wouldn't really fit. He would just take all his devotion and gear it towards another diety as his faith changes. But an interesting idea none the less. I'll chew it over some more. Perhaps A battle cleric would be a possibility?

Opustus

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 18 2015, 18:45 PM 

Developer

For Swashbuckler, see Build: Rogue/WM/Ftr; All non-ECL races; Epic Dodge Soup Base by Uberuce. For Factotum, see Build: Melee-capable Bard30; All non-ECL Races; Yardstick by Uberuce and apply the knowledge from it for your concept.

Camshaft, scan The Official Teach a Man to Fish (Build Topic) with the search function in the lower left side of the page for Paladin. You will find an abundance of basic paladin formulae within that thread.

Seriously though, doesn't this thread serve the same exact purpose as the Learn to Fish thread?

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Mikaz

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 20 2015, 18:46 PM 

Player

Well, I seem to have gotten very confused about the purpose of this thread(As evident from my first post) and seek some clarification.

We are not to post builds in this thread, right? But if I wanted to answer to Overneath, should I just tell him to look in to few classes, like Opustus mentioned, or... Perhaps make different threads on "Fishing Lessons" for a few builds I think might fit his character concept and direct him to those? Or is it that people can come here to seek advice, and then it moves in to PMs?

As for actually answering Overneath; I'd look in to melee-mages for Factotum. I didin't find much info on the class, but if you care flesh out a build around the concept, just send me a PM.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]