View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
TheWok

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 21:29 PM 

Player

Hello, sorry I'm new to the community and NWN in general. I have experience with DnD the pen and paper version but this game looks pretty dated and seems different than Baldur's Gate. I have an idea for a character concept and I wanted to ask for opinions on what class/build should I use to make it a reality. So the character concept is:

I want to make a character that is skilled merchant, preferably one of the best merchants in the game. I don't really care if he's good at PvP or a PvP powerhouse because frankly that's not really important to me, and a good merchant never wants to kill their potential customers. I don't mind if the build is decent at PvP though and I guess that would fit the mold but nothing too fantastic.

My problem with the merchant character idea is from what I've noticed, you tend to have to be able to PvE well. And I would assume to get the best items in the game you'd have to be able to PvE the best mobs in the game. So my question is, what is a build that can do that solo? Now keep in mind, my entire focus on being able to solo hunt is to RP a merchant that has the best gear for sale, so skimping in aspects like PvP is perfectly acceptable to me. Basically what is a PvE monster hunter build? I am good at coming up with character backgrounds but I need a build to start from. I am more comfortable playing a human or human subrace as I have the bulk of my experience in DnD with those types of characters. Melee/Caster/Hybrid does not matter to me.

Granted if it does require caster levels to be a top tier PvE'er that is fine. I am really interested in the custom domains and deities for Clerics/Druids. I have done some research and a lot of places say 28 or 29 Wizard/Cleric but this seems like an extremely complicated game. Each level is like constructing a building and apparently if you screw up on one floor and don't realize it until you get near the top it can be a big mess so a bit of more description into the build would be nice. Of course if a melee build without caster levels is best I could do with a general outline as I seem to understand the melee combat building more than caster building. (I don't mind learning the caster building of course, but melee options seem more straight forward. Get Blindfight, Wep Focus, EP, etc.) Thanks in advance. If you want to lay out a foundation for me I can update the main post or reply with my fleshed out version for more tweaking etc.

Solvaras

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 21:56 PM 

Player

Pure or near pure casters are going to be able to run through any area in the game. Granted, most dedicated melee builds can solo as well, there's just more risk involved. It would help if you narrowed it down to either caster/melee or hybrid and then we can help you with a build. Post what you got and the build monkeys will show you where you can improve it.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 22:17 PM 

Player

Also, Hi, welcome to Amia, NWN and so on.

Pure caster builds are reasonably strong but have their usual weaknesses. However the gearing and stuff in the game is pretty forgiving. You can also do something like 29/1 and save a skill point each level before dumping them all in Tumble at the end to get some nice AC boost :lol:

Generally blending and building becomes more important level by level when you either want some kind of competitive edge with a meleer, or just something a little weird. Master-Merchant-Mages are a staple of the Amian Bosshunter scene ;)

Man, this account is over 10 years old. Where do I get my old man beard?

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 27 2015, 8:20 AM 

Developer

Clerics and spellswords (see Tenser's under Modifications in Spells) make the burliest stand-alone builds on Amia, in my humbledore. Buffs and summons just are that powerful. Druid would also be amazing, but I don't know how well it fits into your merchant theme.

Other possible classes I've at least enjoyed a great deal in solo PvM: Ranger, DwD/WM with tonnes of DR, garden variety Fighter/WM/Rogue (STR or DEX), and Fighter/Rogue/BG.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

TheWok

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 27 2015, 14:34 PM 

Player

Thank you guys for the recommendations. So from what I gather a Wizard or Cleric is probably the best for what I want? Rangers/Druids seem really fun and I might try them out once I know the server more, but I'm not sure if either of their RP's mesh with my character concept. With a Wizard the high int helps with ledger keeping and the Cleric could follow some Deity that has to do with the mercantile side of things. Is there a road map for how to build either a wizard or cleric to do that? I see 29/1 but don't know what the 1 is. If a road map could be recommended like 29 wizard 1 sorc or something I would be glad to put together a level by level for tweaking. :) Or maybe 29 Cleric 1 Fighter? I don't know.

Raua

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 27 2015, 15:00 PM 

Player

Usually the "1" is one of a few things. An they're typically taken at level 27, 29, or 30 for skill dumping.

Ranger, it can give you an epic spell focus as a bonus feat (provided you meet the requirements) and armor/ shield proficiencies. Ranger is one of the more popular!
Rogue, used as a skill dump for tumble and use magic device. And 1d6 sneaks, If it really matters.
Bard, same as rogue, but added discipline too! (Non-lawful) free armor/ shield proficiency!
Monk, skill dump for tumble and discipline, and it gives evasion. (Only lawful)
Fighter, skill dump for discipline, gives free armor/ shield proficiency and a bonus feat!

TheWok

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 16:11 PM 

Player

Ok so after many nights of wracking my brain I have decided to go with: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Druid

I was thinking of a Druid worshipping Talos with the 28D/1Ro/1Ranger build. According to: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Talos follows of Talos often seek wealth and power and revere destruction which RP explains Spell Focus Evocation line feats, and with the ability to get Dragon Shape seems like it could work for a merchant who seeks wealth yeah? It is very important to me that my build matches my character concept as best as possible. Now from what I gather I need to hit 30 wis by level 27? So that would require starting at 20 Wis? Because 27/4 = only 6 stat gains from level + 4 Great Wis in epic levels = 30? So my question is... how do I start with 20 Wis? And what sort of stats should I shoot for in the other areas? I have a feeling con is important because I don't want to die in one hit, and int is important for skills because the whole reason I'm on an RP server is to be able to use my skills more than just my mechanics, but low strength means I won't be able to carry the hard fought loot to the market, and low dex means I might get hit more? Idk. I'm so at a loss. Any help with the stats would be most appreciated and I have 1 Epic Feat unaccounted for that I don't know what to take. The Epic feats I have so far are Epic SF Evocation, Great Wis I, II, III, IV, and Dragonshape... I was thinking an epic spell but not sure which one.

A part of me feels like character building in this game should be at least a 4 year degree plan. So many different variables, and so many ways to go so so wrong.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]