View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Strikeclone

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:05 AM 

Player

Hi all, hope this format is correct as I am looking for some feed back on a possible rebuild to slightly alter my Kelemvor caster Cleric.

The lore of the character is that he is an senior citizen aka old man and so is caster focused and not melee focused 8) , he is a Doomguide Priest of Kelemvor who refines holy weapon oils (brew potion + bless weapon) and who also crafts wands (death ward mostly). So brew potion and craft wand must be part of the build. Given his knowledge and focus on fighting undead I thought it might be worthwhile stacking all those spell focuses and spell penetration feats with as much wisdom as possible.

Here is what I have managed

Human

Str - 10
Dex - 8
Con - 10
Int - 14
Wis - 18 (28)
Cha - 12

1 - Extend spell, Spell Penetration
3 - Spell Focus Necromancy
6 - Greater Spell Penetration or Spell Focus Necromancy (depending on what is deemed best with spells he will have at this point vs Darkhold)
9 - Maximize Spell
12 - Greater Spell Penetration or Spell Focus Necromancy (whichever wasn't taken at level 6)
15 - Brew Potion
18 - Craft Wand
21 - Epic Wisdom I
23 - Epic Spell Penetration or Epic Spell Focus Necromancy or Epic Skill Concentration, Epic Spell Ruin (again depending on whats deemed best at this level)
24 - Epic Spell Penetration or Epic Spell Focus Necromancy or Epic Skill Concentration, Epic Spell Ruin (again depending on whats deemed best at this level)
26 - Epic Wisdom II
27 - Epic Wisdom III, Tumble 30, UMD XXX (can go up to 30 but could use advice on whats needed in order to save points)
30 -Epic Spell Penetration or Epic Spell Focus Necromancy or Epic Skill Concentration, Epic Spell Ruin (again depending on whats deemed best at this level), Armour Skin (didnt know what else to use last feat on)

Desired skills points investment at level 30
Concentration 33
Heal 33
Lore XX (as much as possible for role play and dream coin reasons)
Spellcraft 30
Tumble 30
UMD XX (as much as needed to use useful stuff for the build whilst conserving points to put into desired skills)

Would greatly appreciated feed back on the worth of all those spell focus and penetration feats, as I would like to be able to blow up undead and threaten in pvp, whilst being able to craft potions and wands (which is a must)

Thank you in advance

P.S. I've been mucking about offline with debug mode and this is the best I can come up with but have no idea if its ~the~ best it could be.

Party chat filtered, RP or it didn’t happen

Solvaras

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 4:46 AM 

Player

What domains do you have? And what spell focuses if any does he have now?

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:00 AM 

Player

Repose and Protection domains, and I have Greater Spell Penetration but only Spell Focus Necromancy, in the current build I've taken skill focus Concentration, part of the reason for this thread is to see if its worth rebuilding to replace Skill Focus Concentration (which I foolishly took at cl 12) with Greater Spell Focus Necromancer.

Also to slightly revise the Attributes from INT 12 up to INT 14 and CHA 14 down to CHA 12 to allow more skill points for standard dumps and RP/DC dumps.

Silkelock

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:23 AM 

Player

having a caster oriented cleric and a scholar I opted flr the 27 cleric, 2 rogue and 1 ranger to get a good chunk of skill points and a level of ranger in epic levels for the spell focus feat.

granted this build only works if you worship jergal and not the pansy Kelemvor :p

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:47 AM 

Player

Haha :lol:

One of my first characters on Amia which I still have somewhere gathering dust is a 24clr/4ftr/1rog Aasimar Cleric of Lathander which was fine and dandy but this time around I'm pretty firm on wanting as many Cleric levels as possible (as I believe most if not all the offensive spells he is likely to use will have both a DC save and SR applicable so more caster levels = more SR pen?) and would go Cleric 30 except for the manifest survivability and utility of the Tumble and UMD dump.

So will the feats I have outlined above be worth taking in order to inflict maximum damage on the maximum number of undead opponents whilst keeping the Cleric safe from return shambling for brainz? :D

P.S. Jergal is Kelemvors bitch so "get the kettle on Jergal minion!" 8)

Silkelock

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 13:59 PM 

Player

if you purpose is to destroy undead I am not sure spell focus necromancy is the way to go.
Also jergal was the god of death before it was cool, such a hipster.

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 14:06 PM 

Player

Seeing as Undeath to Death is pretty much the only effective undead-fighting spell, taking three feats for it's not worth it. You're better off going Evocation as your primary focus and getting all-round damage effective against everything

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 14:09 PM 

Player

Silkelock wrote:
if you purpose is to destroy undead I am not sure spell focus necromancy is the way to go.
Also jergal was the god of death before it was cool, such a hipster.

My reasoning is based on this http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Undeath_to_death the principle offensive spell against undead which repose also gives me as a level 5 spell (default its level 6) and the spell allows both spell resistance and a DC save so I figured get all the feats to boost SR penetration and DC checks as well as much Wisdom as I can for more DC checks.

I'm not an experienced builder and tend to rather straightforward builds that fit a RP concept and so probably miss a roundabout way to get more bang for my buck so to speak so if there is a more effective way to do what I'm trying to I am wide open to it hence this post!

Richard_Edmund wrote:
Seeing as Undeath to Death is pretty much the only effective undead-fighting spell, taking three feats for it's not worth it. You're better off going Evocation as your primary focus and getting all-round damage effective against everything

Actually its that spell that pretty much set me on this build as I want to focus on undead destruction with an option to be reasonably decent against other things. Outside of combating undead I see Æthelred as a support caster / healer / buffer.

Silkelock

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 14:26 PM 

Player

Mass heal is pretty nifty ;)

Im on my mobile now but give the "teach a man to fish topic" a search for cleric builds :)

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 14:52 PM 

Player

I'm really fond of and impressed by Cleric 29 / Ranger 1

It gets Epic Spot, an extra feat that you can use on Epic Spell Focus, and Auto-Quicken III.

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 15:29 PM 

Player

Silkelock wrote:

You make a valid point, I would only hesitate because its a ranged touch attack and Æthelred has Dex 8 :(

Silkelock wrote:
Im on my mobile now but give the "teach a man to fish topic" a search for cleric builds :)

181 pages of search purgatory thank you sooooo much :lol: I'm going to go blind trying to find anything in that swamp but here goes nothing!

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 15:48 PM 

Player

Strikeclone wrote:
Silkelock wrote:

You make a valid point, I would only hesitate because its a ranged touch attack and Æthelred has Dex 8 :(

Silkelock wrote:

181 pages of search purgatory thank you sooooo much :lol: I'm going to go blind trying to find anything in that swamp but here goes nothing!

Look at the bottom of the page for the search function - type what you want in their and it will search the topic.

Solvaras

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 17:06 PM 

Player

Evocation caster clerics and conjuration caster clerics both can take out undead like it's cool. Evocation because of implosion and conjuration because of the heal line of spells. I've always been of the opinion that the best undead blaster on the server would be a cleric of salandra with healing and community. Mass heal in every spell slot from level 6 up, but I digress.

With no spell penetration feats, you're looking at a 15 percent failure to pierce spell resistance on anyone with the sr cloaks that arent drow or monks. So 5 percent after you throw a mord's scroll at them. With you throwing heal spells around, between that and your summon it should kill most things. If you drop the penetration line, you should have room for a spell focus of choice. Greater ruin and hellball are up to you as epic choices instead of more wisdom. Ruin is a great finisher and is unavoidable damage. For some reason silent spell is coming to mind, but other than spellbook efficiency I cant remember why I was going to suggest it.

*EDIT: Oh, I remember now. So you can be casting earthquake in your level 9 slots. Undead usually dont have very good reflex saves. Pc's either......

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 07 2015, 1:21 AM 

Player

OK taking in what everyone has said this is the potential rebuild build MK II for a Kelemvor potion brewing, deathward wand crafting blower up of the shambling undead.

As before the main elements of the character are;

:arrow: Brews Bless Weapon potions
:arrow: Crafts Death Ward Wands
:arrow: Spells wise focused on blowing up Undead and resisting deathly attacks such as Pale Master touch attacks, hence the Fort stacking

Human

Str - 10
Dex - 8
Con - 10
Int - 14
Wis - 18 (28)
Cha - 12

1 - Spell Focus Conjuration, Greater Spell Focus Conjuration
3 - Extend Spell
6 - Brew Potion
9 - Maximize Spell
12 - Silent Spell
15 - Greater Fortitude
18 - Craft Wand
21 - Epic Spell Focus Conjuration
23 - Great Wisdom I
24 - Epic Skill Focus Concentration
26 - Great Wisdom II
27 - Epic Fortitude
30 - Great Wisdom III, Epic Spell Greater Ruin

Concentration 33
Heal 33
Lore XX
Spellcraft 30
Tumble 30
UMD XX

XX for UMD and Lore I have 45 skill points spare by level 30 but unsure what is the bare minimum I can put into UMD in order to know whats left that can go into Lore, so could use a little direction here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]