View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 23 2015, 21:07 PM 

Player

I want to make a character that capitalizes on golem shape. What feats do nothing?

Dev crit unarmed?

Evasion?

Epic will?

Armor skin?

High con?

High dex?

Monk levels?

Ima shifter noob

What feats do something?

Casvenx

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 23 2015, 21:42 PM 

Player

With the possible exception of dev crit (I don't think that one works), all of those will do /something/.

First thing: look at the spreadsheet and see what there is. Only one golem shape fights unarmed, so that may be something to consider. Your character sheet physical abilities won't matter much, to get construct shape you need to put enough towards wisdom none will be higher then the forms (maybe dex...). I've got the spreadsheet on my desktop and refer to it all the damn time. If you focus on dex/reflex, evasion in golem form could be very useful.

Secondly, you will want as many shifter levels as possible. AC is progressive with levels, and there isn't much you can do about it otherwise. This only leaves you 5 levels of a third class. It also fairly well borks pre-epic BAB. Monk AC does not apply in shifted form, but the rest does. Even if you take monk levels and focus unarmed... have a weapon equipped to shift with, otherwise the item merging doesn't work.

I'm finding that epic skill focuses would be worthwhile in a shifter build. Skills are very hard to raise to a useful level in epic levels. UMD is also very nice, since gearing a shifter is difficult enough and there isn't any shifter specific gear.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 23 2015, 23:12 PM 

Player

Monk levels are AMAZING for golem shape. A shame you cant get monk and fighter, though, or you could make it better.

joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 23 2015, 23:52 PM 

Player

Thanks for the help.

I was actually thinking about getting some super mega skills in... something... MWAHAhahahah.

So knockdown does work in golem shape?

Mercedes

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 23 2015, 23:53 PM 

Player

Yes, as well as weapon foci in unarmed and other melee skills. Though i'd cross-reference with the feats it already gets as not to double-up.

Solvaras

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:12 AM 

Player

Which golem do you want to specialize in, or a general build for all of them?

Quote:
I want to make a character that capitalizes on golem shape. What feats do nothing?

Dev crit unarmed? It's impossible to get both 27 wisdom and 25 strength to make this happen on a 30 server.

Evasion? Works

Epic will? Works

Armor skin? Works

High con? All golems have more con than a standard dwarven defender except for demon flesh and he's not that low.

High dex? Works

Monk levels? Works, except for the wis bonus to armor that's been mentioned.

Ima shifter noob

What feats do something?

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:10 AM 

Player

Monk/Shifter is really about as powerful as it gets (even more powerful than shifter/KC). You get the destructive power of wraith shape and the super defensive capability of the stone golem shapes all using your UBAB.

There's a bunch of variants as well though, so what kind of concept are you shooting for?

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

joe15552

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:51 AM 

Player

I think that's the big question: concept.

Since there doesn't appear to be any shifter lore for non-druids, I was gonna try to come up with my own insano lore, and just roll with it, BB.

With this post, I was mostly trying to avoid building towards something that just does nothing.

wolfurt

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 8:04 AM 

Player

You're better off rolling with Shifter/KC, then. It's the most powerful Golem-oriented build, and Monk WIS AC still hasn't been fixed afaik -- so there's unnecessary drama involved there. Save yourself the headache.

Casvenx

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:45 AM 

Player

wolfurt wrote:
and Monk WIS AC still hasn't been fixed afaik --

What do you mean by this? It not applying is it working as intended, as far as I know. There's plenty of shifter quirks, but I don't that's one of them.

One thing to mention that hasn't been (it's mentioned elsewhere on teh forums) is that combat modes do not work while using abilities. It only makes sense for them not to work while casting, but they used to and that exploit was fixed. They still work just fine as combat modes though.

I've had fun making up my own shifter lore. but I do wonder what the DMs will think when I post it LOL.

KC/shifter looks a lot more interesting to me then monk... It's a pre-epic BAB boost (though I think it still misses the 4/round attacks, the monk uBAB is really nice there), you can actually max out the relevant stat and it stays the same across forms, it gets a bonus regen (along with a skill buff to heal for your friends keeping you alive), plus the discipline dump. I do wonder how the IC logistics of it work though; How does a shape that cannot talk shout encouragements and orders to teammates (as the non-magical KC abilities have been explained to me to be).

joe15552

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:52 AM 

Player

Wait! Before my post gets derailed, I have one more question.

Does stunning fist work In golem forms?

wolfurt

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:54 AM 

Player

Casvenx wrote:
wolfurt wrote:
and Monk WIS AC still hasn't been fixed afaik --

What do you mean by this? It not applying is it working as intended, as far as I know. There's plenty of shifter quirks, but I don't that's one of them.

Sure is.

5star wrote:
Restoration used to deshift, though that has been fixed. Monk AC does function while shifted, though it's a glitch currently being worked on. That said, if you roll a Monk/Shifter -- try to avoid doing the following:

If you buff Wisdom prior to shifting (Owl's Insight scrolls, Owl's Wisdom potions, any items), you will be granted illegal AC.

If you shift into: Vampire, Lizardfolk or Mindflayer, you will also be granted illegal AC, because those forms innately boost your wisdom score.

Note: Neutralize Poison potions after buffing Wisdom will correct your AC. So if you need to buff it for spell DCs, damage scaling, and Spot+Listen, just use an NP potion.

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot a PM my way!

wolfurt

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:55 AM 

Player

joe15552 wrote:
Wait! Before my post gets derailed, I have one more question.

Does stunning fist work In golem forms?

It works in any unarmed (creature weapon) forms. So any form which uses Monk UBAB also has access to Stunning Fist. (Dragon Shape, Spectre, Dire Tiger, Stone Golem to name a few.)

Casvenx

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:09 AM 

Player

Where is that 5star quote from? All the forum searching I did on shifters never revealed it.

I really dislike the monk class anyways, it gets all sorts of (IMO) unfair advantages. It has since they added it to D&D. Totally off the topic at hand, but yeah, down with monks! Or something...

wolfurt

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:11 AM 

Player

Casvenx wrote:
Where is that 5star quote from? All the forum searching I did on shifters never revealed it.

I really dislike the monk class anyways, it gets all sorts of (IMO) unfair advantages. It has since they added it to D&D. Totally off the topic at hand, but yeah, down with monks! Or something...

Here.

(And to prevent any confusion, 5star = my old alternate account.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]