View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
msheeler

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:35 AM 

Player

In general there is an issue with a plan that counts on 2 spells only for success and is guaranteed failure if either of the spells doesn't work as intended. Also, as a wizard or a sorcerer you should never expect to solo any epic are where the critters are designed specifically to strip magic. Expecting otherwise is just silly.

CouncilofAutumn

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:52 AM 

Player

I'm not sure it makes sense to block knowledge about some mechanics and not others, since if the summons aren't balanced then that needs to be addressed, and if they are balanced then knowing the difference between them would be academic, just like knowing how the math of classes and combat works.

Blocking just this knowledge in particular is neither helpful nor useful. The people you fear from powergaming with the knowledge being blocked already know what they need to know.

msheeler

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:07 AM 

Player

I can understand the desire to know all these stats and I am of a mixed mind when it comes to divulging them.

1. Lore wise a spell caster wouldn't know the exact strengths of anything they summoned, but would know general usefulness in given situations. "These Giants are resistant to most fire attacks so the fire elemental won't help me here, but facing those frost Giants it might be very useful..."
2. I can understand how ending up with the wrong summon because you expected it to be one thing when it turned out to be something entirely different can be frustrating.
3. I don't want to see it turn out to be the same type of situation we have with 80%+ of the earth gensia who walk around with 6 charisma and a 6 wisdom for the power build because they can simply chose not to roll play a severely socially handicapped character who is supper nieve and gullible. Before some of you with earth gensia chime in about how that's not your earth gensia, I know some do it correctly but I've been top side and looked at character stats across the server and it's staggering to see the amount of people with <8 ability scores in the RP abilities. I've rarely come across anyone with an 8 or less in an actual mechanical start like dexterity, constitution or strength.

Maybe the best answer is a more general chart. Something that doesn't list the numbers but instead lists strengths and weaknesses.

CouncilofAutumn

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:35 AM 

Player

You still run into the issue of all these other stats (for example: classes, races, etc) which are perfectly obvious and well documented. Drawing the line in the sand right here doesn't really suit your purposes - you'd have to go back and remake the game from the ground up. I mean, if anyone really wanted to curtail this attitude (which isn't a bad way to play this game, just a different way to play this game - everyone has a different way to enjoy D&D) you'd have gotten rid of threads like that Teach a Man to Fish topic, am I right? And you'd have to make it somehow impossible to view combat logs (which is a method one could use to gain all of this info without needing your permission), that sort of thing.

msheeler

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:52 PM 

Player

You are correct. All it takes is some experimentation and time investment and you'd have all the information you need.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:54 PM 

Player

A general chart could prove useful while still upholding the spirit of what we believe in, but you can't make everyone happy that way. I really don't understand why this is such a contentious topic. We've got along this far fine and dandy without it and the team has yet to change their stance on it. I'm not saying these things can't be questioned or discussed, but there is a better, more constructive way to hold these sort of forums and this is predominantly not it.

The argument about where we draw lines is valid, but there has to be lines. If you really wanted to you could probably go out and Stat individual enemies with enough patience and trial. That's not info we are planning to dish out, either. Plus, the character sheets lie to you all the time and people rarely notice until it's big.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 13:52 PM 

Player

I disagree, I think this conversation was awesome. We had a little fun and toned it down to where everyone can see that there's something incomplete about this area. Some want full charts, the usual suspects want no change, some want partial charts.

And we have offered solutions to the disparities in power.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 16:28 PM 

Player

To be fair, I have seen it posted before that summons will be reworked at some point. I do not know how that is coming along, but it would certainly be more than welcome of a change if all of the summons of a specific category were brought in line with one another and made to actually stand out in their specific functions.

That said, this isn't an improving amia thread and that forum has been closed down so I'm not going to hammer at the subject for too long. Suffice to say however that I think allowing us to share this information would be of great benefit to the player base, and we're pretty good at investigating statistical accuracy when it comes to character sheets too.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 21:47 PM 

Player

It is to my strong opinion that limiting Information isn't very helpful for players. Some people will build for strength others will build for rp and others for both. Rebuilds are expensive and a pain. IMO this is a game for players to have fun.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Last edited by PassionateShadow on Fri, May 01 2015, 12:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Alkor

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 1:27 AM 

Player

Location: Somewhere on a tiny speck of a planet, in a tiny speck of a universe.

Withholding knowledge to prevent 'powerbuilding' will simply empower the powerbuilders who will take the time to know.

If everyone walks around with the same summon, perhaps then the summons should be balanced more appropriately. The players in this way will tell you what is in need of repair.

The server is thus improved.

Let's make it, not over.

Solvaras

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 5:24 AM 

Player

Alkor wrote:
If everyone walks around with the same summon, perhaps then the summons should be balanced more appropriately.

Everyone walks around with the same summon, because other people have said it's the strongest. They dont try it out themselves, so they never see the other summons. Then when someone asks them why they use it, instead of "because it fits my rp" you get "because it's the strongest" without ever trying any of the others.

Alkor wrote:
Withholding knowledge to prevent 'powerbuilding' will simply empower the powerbuilders who will take the time to know.

You have all the knowledge before you make a character of what kind of summons you get with your alignment. How powerful it is shouldnt matter, because if you're taking an active part in the battle with your spells, the summons only act as a different flavor of meatshield for your caster. Granted that takes effort and doesnt reward those who only cast invisibility and buff a summon.

It's a slippery slope. First you know every detail about the summons, then you want to know mob stats. Besides, if people dont understand the basics of building why do they think that knowing the exact stats of their summons will help them at all? To me it seems like just one more thing to complain about to the DM's, when they already have their plates piled high with everything else.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 6:33 AM 

Player

The only reason for a lack of transparency is to mask a problem.

Solvaras

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 6:53 AM 

Player

Lack of transparency is not letting you know what summons you get at all and letting you find out everything in game. You know exactly what you get. There is no problem. The problem is people wanting information that they're not privy to. It's a blatant attempt to get information that we dont need. You take the summon that would fit your role play. No other reason.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 7:19 AM 

Player

What if your roleplay is a pragmatic summoner that picks the summon that wins most?

Silkelock

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 7:23 AM 

Player

NinjaClarinet wrote:
What if your roleplay is a pragmatic summoner that picks the summon that wins most?

Said summoner would not have a character sheet to look at to decide that :p

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 7:38 AM 

Player

No, but the point more or less stands. We know that stuff is broken, and that a summon's usefulness can vary wildly by alignment or level bracket. Flimsy IC excuses to retroactively justify a development mistake or oversight are a bandaid. We know you don't really have the time or manpower to fix it, so trying to obfuscate an issue only exacerbates it when it can be worked around with very little fuss. You lose more goodwill than you gain in setting verisimilitude by not only providing the transparency yourselves, but by actively censoring information.

We know the team isn't perfect. It's fine to screw up. But don't stick you head in the sand about it.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 7:54 AM 

Player

NC's post more or less mirrors my line of thought on the matter.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Casvenx

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 11:36 AM 

Player

That pragmatic summoner would probably choose the same summon everyone else chooses. If it's used the most, it wins the most, by definition. Might also lose the most, but that's besides the point. Or that pragmatic summoner might take a less popular one, and learn how to use it best. The point of having varied summons, besides just to make it interesting, is to provide alternative methods.

Like I said, I do think there should be *more* information, clues to the summons' skills or abilities, but I don't think everyone needs to know every detail. Beyond the fact that it's a very short jump from that to wanting to know the stats of everything (anyone remember the first page of the old Monstrous Manuals? They ain't for players, on pain of all of that information being changed when it mattered.). It just reeks of rules lawyering, which doesn't help anyone. It would also be a huge database that needed to be kept up to date as often as any change is made, which is less time DMs spend in game (and the instant something wasn't updated fast enough, it would be another thing for someone to complain about).

The real best solution, though I don't know if it's possible with how NWN handles things, is probably to not allow people to even see the character sheets of the summons. It's not like you get to see any other character sheets as a player, and just because you can summon a thing doesn't mean you know all it's secrets. It's the fact that it can be seen that gives people the idea that the information should be public (the opinion of which really isn't that wrong, if one player can see the info, it's somewhat unfair to hide it from others).

On the other hand, an IC compendium of mobs, summons and all, would be pretty cool. Hell, throw PCs on the list too. My character has been putting together just such a list for people she has interacted with, though she isn't likely to share it.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 12:06 PM 

Player

So when can I post my compiled list, why or why not at this point is circular. We all see the absurdity of the argument against, and we know the dev staff isnt changing anything with it possibly ever so just let us post the stats.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 12:19 PM 

Player

I'm not sure I fully understand or appreciate the suggestion that we are upholding a longstanding rule because we screwed up and things are broken. Not everything works as intended on this or any server, but I wouldn't call a power gap between alignments a downside. Would you dislike it if all the evil summons were stronger because evil is often the quick and dirty route to power? We see enough threads clamoring over one class ability set or another. When a lot of questionable PVP and exploits were coming out, the forum battlefield was "nerf shifters." Magee being OP in general is a relatively contentious topic. Not far from here is an arena built around whether powerbuilders and solo players are wrong or if it's just another playstyle.

Personally I don't even like the shifter spreadsheet on the forum, and would rather have it as a general "this is what role it is designed to fill and what type of creature it is." Just because we do have that, and people can do what they like to math out all of our abilities and counters on the server, doesn't mean we should throw it up on the forums. It's different but in the similar vein as "don't say where job trainers are." It largely sounds meaningless to someone who wants the information but there are lines we draw for our various reasons.

However, the way we as a community discuss and reform these lines should be through measured, meaningful, and polite discussion. Backhanded comments, working around the rules, or taking up a rebellious attitude only sets back the parts of this discussion that are actually worth something: and there is a fair bit of that posted here.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 12:38 PM 

Player

Mercedes wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand or appreciate the suggestion that we are upholding a longstanding rule because we screwed up and things are broken. Not everything works as intended on this or any server, but I wouldn't call a power gap between alignments a downside. Would you dislike it if all the evil summons were stronger because evil is often the quick and dirty route to power? We see enough threads clamoring over one class ability set or another. When a lot of questionable PVP and exploits were coming out, the forum battlefield was "nerf shifters." Magee being OP in general is a relatively contentious topic. Not far from here is an arena built around whether powerbuilders and solo players are wrong or if it's just another playstyle.

Personally I don't even like the shifter spreadsheet on the forum, and would rather have it as a general "this is what role it is designed to fill and what type of creature it is." Just because we do have that, and people can do what they like to math out all of our abilities and counters on the server, doesn't mean we should throw it up on the forums. It's different but in the similar vein as "don't say where job trainers are." It largely sounds meaningless to someone who wants the information but there are lines we draw for our various reasons.

However, the way we as a community discuss and reform these lines should be through measured, meaningful, and polite discussion. Backhanded comments, working around the rules, or taking up a rebellious attitude only sets back the parts of this discussion that are actually worth something: and there is a fair bit of that posted here.

Imo it's a game for the players to have fun- searching for a job trainer that isn't accessable on the surface for 3 months isn't fun.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Mercedes

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 12:55 PM 

Player

A lot of things aren't fun to certain people and should not be removed or altered dramatically because someone is vocal about it. I personally have found fun in the system looking for a job trainer IG, in character like intended. Asking someone where it is, someone else speaking up and saying they'll show you, talking along the way and getting a bit of exploration out of the deal. I have possessed NPCs to give hints to quests, job locations, and other meta game information in an IC way.

I don't want to derail this topic into something regarding jobs. It was something I feel is synonymous, where there are many things which, under modern MMO mentality feel like you should just be able to locate creature stats, quest locations, item drops, and maps just by spending some time on a wiki. The buck doesn't stop with me but I feel it does work against the spirit of the server.

msheeler

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 13:24 PM 

Player

NinjaClarinet wrote:
The only reason for a lack of transparency is to mask a problem.

NinjaClarinet wrote:
No, but the point more or less stands. We know that stuff is broken, and that a summon's usefulness can vary wildly by alignment or level bracket. Flimsy IC excuses to retroactively justify a development mistake or oversight are a bandaid. We know you don't really have the time or manpower to fix it, so trying to obfuscate an issue only exacerbates it when it can be worked around with very little fuss. You lose more goodwill than you gain in setting verisimilitude by not only providing the transparency yourselves, but by actively censoring information.

We know the team isn't perfect. It's fine to screw up. But don't stick you head in the sand about it.

I find this offensive. It belittles the Development team and the DM Team. Its insulting to people who have put in more time to making this a fun thing to do than you ever have NinjaClarinet and I think you owe the DM team and the Development team an apology for accusing them of purposely trying to deceive the players because they made a mistake and don't have the man power to fix it.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 13:45 PM 

Player

Dm team really could use to take a step back, fresh air, and chill pill. You all are the only offended ones, and as per usuL the solution is you play your way i play my way, dont want to read the guide dont.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 13:48 PM 

Player

Mercedes wrote:
Not everything works as intended on this or any server, but I wouldn't call a power gap between alignments a downside. Would you dislike it if all the evil summons were stronger because evil is often the quick and dirty route to power?

The problem, at least for me, is that at present only lawful evil is a quick and dirty route to power, while chaotic evil is a quick and dirty route to mediocre power, and neutral evil is a quick and dirty route to, at best, a distraction. Do I want the summons homogenized? Not in the slightest. However, when I hear that lawful blackguards get possibly the best summon on the server, while my neutral blackguard is stuck with a strong contender for the worst, I can't help but be more than a little jealous.

OpenTheRift wrote:
Dm team really could use to take a step back, fresh air, and chill pill. You all are the only offended ones, and as per usuL the solution is you play your way i play my way, dont want to read the guide dont.

When did telling someone to "take a chill pill" ever make a discussion less heated? Stop that.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

blackvswhite

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 13:57 PM 

Player

I like this idea. Every non-summon class has total access to all of the mechanical information they need to build their character, yet summoners have no idea what they are getting in to, which seems like a silly distinction. A lot of people, myself included, like to plan out all of our build decisions ahead of time, and which summon to use is a part of that. The truth is that people who want to build fluidly will build fluidly regardless of what information is available on this site. I don't see any reason to hamstring those people who don't like building fluidly just because any individual person thinks that building fluidly is "better", it's just different.

It is also already public information for anyone willing to dump tons of time into creating and leveling summoners of varying alignments and classes, but that would be hell. That isn't an RP experiment for mages because mages can't change their alignment at will. It just makes a fat bank of grinded characters. Honestly I could see Tarkuul compiling a summon compendium ICly, but that would reek of OOC nonsense since you have to know everyone's alignment, and nobody likes having hard stats explicitly involved in their roleplay. It's just bad form.

edit: and as far as alignment power levels, I think the evil alignments all deserve the best ones since they generally have a weaker global presence on the server. Everybody says Paladins are innately stronger than Blackguards, and the good guys are unfortunately usually more organized and prepared to fight off evil. It would help balance that, even if it is in a small way.

Last edited by blackvswhite on Fri, May 01 2015, 14:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 14:00 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:

Your tone in this thread has been far from constructive. We came out to remind everyone of the rule. If you want to discuss the rule that is well and good, but just because you don't see the point of it doesn't make it pointless. I am not offended personally, but others are in their right to be offended when communication breaks down into baseless accusations.

Have you searched the forum for previous discussions which have been had for this very topic? Points were made and conclusions were reached. Not this topic alone, but also summon power, and likely every other conceivable detail regarding them.

There is simply a way to go about these things in, what I will repeat as I have here and many other threads: constructively. This is now Improving Amia, of course, but as it is locked and this is more of a topic based on opinion it seemed fine to let it run a natural course.

msheeler

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 14:02 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:

I think I have been very open to the topic as a whole and expressed myself in a manner that is completely constructive, however, I work as both a DM and a Developer, and I will not take open insults lightly. I've been a member of both these teams for a long while now, and I've seen to many team members come and go over the years. More often then not it's because they get tired of the way people treat them like NinjaClarinet and to some extent you have done in that post.

How would you feel if I instead took the stance that: "You only want these statistics posted because you can't stand not having the absolute best and most powerful build. That must because you don't know how to role play and so seek to gain power through the simple manipulation of mathematics and game mechanics. You should learn to be more original, or is that beyond you?"

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 14:03 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:

Actually, no. The offense is taken when people make ridiculous comments like they have been. Hell, I'm offended on behalf of the DM Team and I'm not even on it. And yes, I take offense to the assumption we are 'sticking our heads in the sand'. NC that was out of line and you know it.

Rift, and everyone else, if you cannot see why your comments are coming off as offensive then perhaps ya'll should take a step back. Things don't get changed just because you find them inconvenient. They certainly don't get changed by making accusations and saying you're going to do it anyways because you feel like it. Take a breath and think about how you phrase things.

I've thought off and on that we need to list specifics on summons, sure. But do I find it a detriment to playing? Hell no. That's absurd. But I do like the idea that we should give generalized information on the summons. That's a cool idea and fits with what you should know IC.

I'll say again that summons need to be looked at, but I'd wager a small number of you know what that entails. We only have one or two people on the Dev team capable of doing that without much trouble and they are out of commission. So please, don't belittle the efforts we have made with grand sweeping statements regarding something which inconveniences you. It's rude and you know it.

Much love,
~Naivatkal~

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Larsaan

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 14:56 PM 

Player

Larsaan wrote:
When did telling someone to "take a chill pill" ever make a discussion less heated?

I rest my case.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 15:20 PM 

Player

We understand that it would be a monumental effort to overhaul, and also if it needed it we could ask is it worth the time opposed to other projects. So instead we want to know what we are getting into, like the bean counter number crunching gamers we are. Rp be damned, this is the build forum. I want my powerbuild, since time and again I have seen that your rp progress is seperate from your mechanical outline. What really matters in the rp is what you do and who you know.

Silkelock

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 15:30 PM 

Player

This is going under lock and key now as per:

Critique and comments on builds are welcome as long as it is constructive and does not champion a personal cause or attack the original poster.

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

msheeler

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 15:32 PM 

Player

Here's a monumental idea I've been waiting to see someone, anyone, post. Gather a group of summoners in game and study the various summons. What strengths and weaknesses do they have? Where are they best used? What situations are best handled by particular summons? In what situations will no summon help? Then post an IC book/report on your findings.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2