View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
joe15552

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 29 2015, 22:07 PM 

Player

Thanks to those that gave input. This build is mostly a role-playing build, but with 23 levels of wizard... um... wizards are op, so... enjoy.

Race: Any human or +int race (We are gonna need a ton of skills)

Stats:

str: 10 (some leeway here on the physical stats)
dex: 15 (just choose an odd number)
con: 10 (because we will have an odd number of stat adds)
int: 18 (No leeway here.... we are gonna need all the skills we can get)
wis: 10
cha: 8 (I generally hate rollin with 8 cha, but for an arcane trickster that doesn't want to have a magnetic personality, it's perfect)

Pre-epic feats:

Courteous magocracy (This will probably be considered when doing research to make those special traps)
Greater Spell Focus Illusion (Because illusions are tricky. Seriously. That's why I chose this.)
Silent Spell
Still Spell
Skill Foci: Craft trap, Spellcraft, Disable Trap, Open Lock, Pick Pocket
A Proxy Feat (not sure how these work, but there's room in this build for one). Gonna try for Craft Wondrous Item to make magic traps
Post Epic Feats:

Automatic Still Spell III
Automatic Silent Spell III (Wanna cast spells like an arcane trickster should? This is how to do it. These feats are why 23 levels of wizard are a requirement)

Skills:
Max: Bluff, Craft Trap, Disable Trap, Lore, Open Lock, Pick Pocket, Search, Set Trap, Spellcraft,

Skills At 7: Tumble and Use Magic Device as requirements for the PRC Arcane Trickster

There's a few points left at the end to put into concentration or whatever you want more: tumble, UMD
--------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I was thinking, it might be fun to have a wizard that can disable traps, and set traps... and then.. craft traps? Woah.. a wizard crafting traps....

Then I was like, oh, how much fun would it be to make traps that do something besides damage? Like... create a hallway that goes on forever, or a room where gravity changes directions at random... or disappears. Or... well, there's a bunch of crazy things that come to mind that become possible when a wizard starts creating their own wondrous traps.

So, if a wizard takes epic skill foci spellcraft, craft trap, and set trap, could these types of things be feasible? Or is this just something wizards can do without skill anyway, so who cares?

Last edited by joe15552 on Fri, May 01 2015, 19:53 PM, edited 5 times in total.

Casvenx

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 29 2015, 22:43 PM 

Player

A lot of the specifics there would be requests. So I have no idea. There are some cool ideas that come to mind, but I wonder about the limits of the game.

But wizard/rogues are fun. Keep in mind the NWN engine -requires- you to have some rogue in your build to detect/disable traps higher then DC35, so going straight wizard wouldn't work too well. Master scout gives some nice tricks and trap crafting bonuses, so it might be worthwhile looking at that too. 23/2/5 would probably be best, to get a few epic spells.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 29 2015, 22:45 PM 

Player

It's a mainstay of dungeons and evil lairs, of course, but I think it's kind of something you'd have to spend quite a lot of time and resources on. Also, those kind of effects are less like traps, which are generally mechanical, and more like very complex contingency spells.

More to the point, I don't see how it'd work in the NwN engine. Those are big effects.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

joe15552

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 29 2015, 23:06 PM 

Player

Casvenx wrote:
23/2/5 would probably be best, to get a few epic spells.

I was thinking about that build, and what's cool about it is that all subraces can do a 21/2/5, which would still give epic spells. Interesting stuff.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 1:02 AM 

DM

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=59938&start=9200

This thread is your friend.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 5:17 AM 

Player

Wizard 23/Master Scout 5/Bard or Rogue 2 is a pretty fun build for this. I advocate bard personally because you get use magic device as well as a caster level modifier of +2, making your effective caster level 25 instead of 23 because you are taking more levels in an arcane casting class. This means you become immune to things like dispel magic effects. The only things that can dispell effects on you are Mordenkainen's disjunction, and spell breaches. However I will add to this that you need a charisma score of ten or higher in order to benefit from your bard levels. If you don't have the ability to cast the spells by way of statistically meeting the prerequisites for at least 0-level cantrips you will not have your caster level modified at all, and thus you don't gain the benefit of the increased caster level and you'll be left at level 23.

Then you get dispelled by Ilithids all the time. And that's terrible.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:09 AM 

Player

are you saying that 25 caster levels puts you over some kind of dispel magic "hump"?

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 12:51 PM 

DM

For Greater Dispell yes.

wolfurt

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 13:39 PM 

Player

joe15552 wrote:
are you saying that 25 caster levels puts you over some kind of dispel magic "hump"?

joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 13:57 PM 

Player

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_dispelling

well lookie there. Never Looked at that before.

So anyway, back to arcane trickster stuff and traps. Something I am almost certain could be handled by nwn (although my knowledge about stuff like this is very limited), is a trap that turns the trapped victim into a chicken.

My original post was to see if someone has used spellcraft, use magic device, craft trap, and set trap in a way similar to this on Amia. Anyone know?

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 14:04 PM 

Player

Hmm.. this is the first I've heard that different caster classes combine toward dispelling.... Are we sure on this? I've always heard different. That dispelling takes the lowest of your caster classes into account or the highest, depending on who says it.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 14:21 PM 

DM

Caster level is not combined when taking into account spells as far as I am aware. The CL of the class casting the spell is used. So if you are a Druid/Wizard, only the Druid or Wizard will be taken into account when casting a spell for their appropriate spellbooks.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 14:28 PM 

Player

Quote:
Caster level is not combined when taking into account spells as far as I am aware. The CL of the class casting the spell is used. So if you are a Druid/Wizard, only the Druid or Wizard will be taken into account when casting a spell for their appropriate spellbooks.

This.

Lutra

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 14:49 PM 

Player

Also the Arcane trickster is a magical person with sneak attacks and mostly rogue stuff, so rogue would be the ideal class.

davis114

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 14:58 PM 

Player

No, to the best of my knowledge this hasn't been done before. At least, not on the scale you're looking at. And it's all completely possible. Yes, the NwN engine limits some actual effects that can be done.

But say, upon entering this long hallway, the target becomes dazed upon a failed Will save, as they are in that hallway in their minds. You could almost do something like a dev crit effect, wherein the screen goes black and you're dazed for X rounds, and just script a pop-up text that explains what just happened, and where they are mentally.

Lots of neat ways an Arcane Trickster could go. I like it.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 15:14 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
Also the Arcane trickster is a magical person with sneak attacks and mostly rogue stuff, so rogue would be the ideal class.

The thing that made arcane tricksters hawt in pnp WAS sneak attack, but the really really amazing thing about them was ranged legerdemain. Picking someone's pocket from a distance of 30 feet is... in two letters: OP.

While there are some fun RP things we can do with picking someone's pocket from a distance, and it might be funny to do that during an event to npc's, the main thing I think arcane tricksters could take advantage of, mechanics wise, is making cool traps.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 16:29 PM 

Player

wolfurt wrote:
joe15552 wrote:

24 would be the number yes, but it only works for caster types that are alike. If you take a level of a divine class, for example, your arcane caster level will not increase.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 30 2015, 18:40 PM 

Player

Okay, after much deliberation, I've decided that my arcane trickster will not be about caster levels, but about skills, and casting spells in secret. In order to cast a spell in secret, you absolutely have to have some automatic still and automatic silent spell feats. I think the best casting class is Wizard, since int gives a bonus to just about all of the skills the arcane trickster needs, and wizards use int. If ranged legerdemain is a possibility, then skill mastery is a must-have, so that means 10 levels of rogue. Why? Ranged legerdemain has a limited number of times that it can be used per day, and skill mastery will ensure that the ranged disable device or open lock will be a success. Pickpocket is not included in skill mastery, so I guess that arcane trickster is gonna need some +50 pickpocket equipment. :)

Anyway, build incoming, and will be posted in the first post...

Well, crap, I can't get all the automatic spellcasting feats I wanted with 10 levels of rogue.
.... rethinking....

or maybe I can just request the last automatic spellcasting feat I want since I'm only 1 short, since this build is special? I dunno.

joe15552

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 15:04 PM 

Player

Okay, I have a tentative build that does everything I want an arcane trickster to do.

Wizard 23/rogue 7 build.
This build has all the skill points I need, and all the wizard levels I need to get automatic still and silent spell 3.

My arcane trickster needs 23 levels of wizard in order to get all the automatic still and silent spell feats I wanted him to have.
The seven rogue levels are still in the works. I started with max int, and put all stats into int, and was only able to max bluff, concentration, craft trap, disable trap, open lock, pick pocket, search, spellcraft, set trap, and use magic device. I put 10 ranks in tumble for the arcane trickster requirements (pnp requires 7 escape artist). I completely neglected Lore, which doesn't make much sense... I am still trying to work out which skills I need or don't need... I may end up dropping concentration and bluff.... which would be a shame, since concentration really does help in fights, and bluff is super awesome for role-playing an arcane trickster...I suppose I could drop Use magic device down to 7 in order to meet the pnp requirements (Decifer Script), and put that in Lore. I dunno...

I took the craft wand feat as a proxy for craft wonderous item feat required to create magic traps.

I can't really decide what to do with all my feats in this build. I would like to take one feat as a proxy for Craft Wonderous Item, so he can make magic traps. I am starting to think spell foci in illusion would be almost a requirement for my character concept. Skill focus would be fun, but not sure where else to put it besides spellcraft.

joe15552

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 19:49 PM 

Player

Fixed this post to fit the format of the forum, and actually added a build.

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 20:28 PM 

Player

I'd drop bluff. I don't know that it will be as useful rp-wise as you think.

And I'd go halruaan for the +int subrace

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

joe15552

PostPosted: Fri, May 01 2015, 23:06 PM 

Player

davis114 wrote:
I'd drop bluff. I don't know that it will be as useful rp-wise as you think.

And I'd go halruaan for the +int subrace

How do you know what I think? Telepathy is illegal. I'm tellin mommy and daddy.

But seriously, though, if you are lying in character, you should probably have "Bluff" as a skill so you can "role-play your stats."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]