View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 13 2015, 16:44 PM 

Player

I love my main character Nicholas Frost. But as of late I'm on way to early before anyone I normally roleplay with is on. So I figured I will make a alternate character to entertain me while I'm waiting for some role-play for Nicholas, who is priority.

I have came to the consideration of a Aasimar devastation critical Monk with a quarterstaff.. But I don't know much where to go from there. I thought about doing a Monk 22 / Fighter 5 / 2 Rouge +ECL 1 from Aasimar. Dumping Skill points into Tumble, Discipline, some Concentration, UMD and the rest in Bluff / Persuade.

Would like any input on how I should alter the build to make it better. The concept I have for the actually character is done. Just need to finalize it's build.

Edited: Wanted to say for a complete Thieving type of character I thought of 11 Monk / 19 Assassin with 16 Intel / 26 STR Dev crit would be cool. Input please.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

davis114

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 13:47 PM 

Player

There are a few str based monk builds in the Thanks For All The Fish topic. I'm a fan of the monk/wm ones.

But, okay. Firstly, quarterstaff monks are just super cool. I personally don't think a str monk will ever match a dex monk, but they are still viable. You don't get a whole lot from those two extra monk levels. I'd go 20 monk / 6 fighter / 3 rogue. Extra d6 on snk dmg, some extra skills, and you can take 4 fighter levels pre-epic, plus still snag EWS in epics. More solid all around.

As to the assassin one...it's viable, I suppose. But the perk of the Assassin class is your death attack, and all the assassin special goodies. I don't think you'd be able to utilize those often without being able to sneak. So str based might not work so well.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Lascer

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 14:24 PM 

Player

Ever since QS scaled with monk's UBaB, the STR monk went way ahead of the DEX monk. Specifically with WM. You max out at 8 attacks per round, half of which stand a good chance of hitting, and most of which do 100+ a hit. The damage possible per round is near 1000, if I remember, with an average of 3-400. It's stupidly unbalanced. I haven't played with the DC variant, but I'd imagine 8 attacks per round critting on 15-20 (or even 17-20), each of which calls for a save vs the build's focused DC or takes them out for 4 rounds, would be just as (if not more so) OP. I'm still in shock it got called 'balanced', but that build is entirely legal at the moment. So OP it's boring, but legal. If you can fit dev crit or WM into a QS-monk build, you really don't need any help making it better.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 17:18 PM 

Player

If you're willing to go DEX, my favorite monk/assassin build is 6 monk / 18 assassin / 6 shadowdancer. Dual wield kamas. If you're clever enough, you can find a couple kamas that make that build really stupid. And I mean that in a good way.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 23 2017, 23:53 PM 

Player

To revive an old, dead topic..doesn't this pose a serious problem with AC? To get the APR, you would need to go unarmored. To get your str up to dev crit standards you are looking at dumping stats. Wis and dex are definitely a no-go in that arena so you then can only dump cha (good!)and con (bad!). Unless mechanically, I'm retarded in my beliefs, you are definitly better off going f/wm/ rogue on this so you can wear plate, at least.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 24 2017, 0:03 AM 

Player

monk is a mad build as it is, as no matter what kind of monk you make you need wis, dex, and con.

make a str monk and you're even worse, as you need str as well.

use fists, and you're also down like, 10 mythal slots to get those stats.

it's not a good class, mechanically, and you're going to need to mythal or request most of your gear, as str+wis just doesn't really exist naturally.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:48 AM 

Player

Since Shen Fists are all the rage right now, I should mention the best one is the snake shen. You can couple it with assassin, and with the ability "hands of the surgeon" you use your int modifier for dmg instead of str. Amazing and I have to wonder if it's physically possible without changing an ass ton of coding? Yes..I played one on PnP..

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:15 AM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
Since Shen Fists are all the rage right now, I should mention the best one is the snake shen. You can couple it with assassin, and with the ability "hands of the surgeon" you use your int modifier for dmg instead of str. Amazing and I have to wonder if it's physically possible without changing an ass ton of coding? Yes..I played one on PnP..

still use dex or str to hit?

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 24 2017, 14:49 PM 

Player

Dex

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 24 2017, 15:44 PM 

Tester

You can code it to use other modifiers to hit. But they would add to the +20 cap.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Kronox

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 23:15 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
I have came to the consideration of a Aasimar devastation critical Monk with a quarterstaff.. But I don't know much where to go from there. I thought about doing a Monk 22 / Fighter 5 / 2 Rouge +ECL 1 from Aasimar. Dumping Skill points into Tumble, Discipline, some Concentration, UMD and the rest in Bluff / Persuade.

Would like any input on how I should alter the build to make it better. The concept I have for the actually character is done. Just need to finalize it's build..

Monk 20 has its usual goodies, then Monk 21 just has a 10% movement speed increase. The next bonus is at Monk 24 for another 10%, then 25 for a Bonus Feat. So 22 is not optimal unless you just want 32 SR.

Rogue 3 is also a good bet for 2d6 Sneak, as well as Uncanny Dodge. You won't have a LOT of Dex with this build, but every bit helps, especially against Sahuagin and Abyss archers.

So with that in mind, I have to agree with the 20M/6F/3R.

You won't have Dex Monk level AC, true, but you have well enough to survive. I main a STR Monk and don't usually have too many issues, and he's unarmed. The least optimal kind of monk. Since you have UMD, you only need to gear 5 WIS. Scrolls of Owl's Insight in the Ruhn Monastery add +7 WIS, which is awesome.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28 2017, 0:12 AM 

Player

You don't need 2 rogue, take an extra monk level for the SR.

22/6/1 on Aasimar is what you'd do if you want 6 attacks pre epic and epic spec.

I suppose if you really want Uncanny dodge, yeah, go for it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]