View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Lascer

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 14 2015, 18:15 PM 

Player

Throwing around some ideas to match a Stormlord concept. Haven't come up with anything I like yet, so I thought I'd post here.

Requirements:
Meeting the requirements for the Stormlord PRC would be nice. Considering this is not a PRC readily available on Amia, this is not set in stone.
Worship of Talos, obviously (Alignment: CE - Domains: Air Chaos Destruction Evil Fire Hatred - Favored Weapon: Long Spear/Short Spear/Thrown Javelin).
Weapon: some type of spear, or possibly thrown weapon

Oddity:
Trident is a simple weapon on Amia, but requires Martial Weapon Proficiency to focus in. I think. Haven't been able to get a clear answer on this, but that's what my tests show. Also, the NWN.Wikia states that weapon focus in trident doesn't work.

Stormlord - Complete Divine, pg 65

StormlordStormlords are the agents of Talos, inflicting destructive rampages wherever they wander. Talos cares only that they call up storms or engage in spectacular acts of violence. Stormlords often live as brigands, indulging their personals desires for wealth, food, luxury and wanton behavior as they crave random, spectacular acts of violence.
Requirements: Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (Any Spear or Javelin), 3rd level divine spells

Build 1:
Cleric 23/ WM 7 (WoC: Trident)
This was my first thought, and still the one I like most. There is an issue mechanically though, not being able to take the weapon focus in trident, which totally borks it. Cleric 21/Fighter2/WM7 might be the only thing that works, but it costs the epic cleric bonus feat at 23. Lacks tumble dump and UMD.

Build 2:
Druid 23/ WM 7 (WoC: Spear)
Similar to the above build, only with Druid instead of Cleric. Two-handed weapon though, less AC (no shield or heavy armor), with a slightly less than maxed out animal companion. I like the nature based concept, but I want something melee capable and these classes don't seem to gel that well together. Lacks tumble dump and UMD, though a level or two of rogue could be dropped in too. Maybe Druid 25/MS 5, but that isn't a front line character, and would have to focus on the elemental shapes to melee (air elemental would be particularly fitting).

Build 3:
Cleric 21/Fighter 4 /MS 5?
Thrown weapon varient... There is no javelin in NWN, so it would have to be darts or something. Zen Archery. Would be highly reliant on divine might and/or requested stormlord abilities to do damage.

Last edited by Lascer on Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 14 2015, 19:27 PM 

Tester

Stormlord is such a neat class. In NWN2 I modded Elanee so she could take levels in it. So much for peaceful elven druidess.

I don't have any doubt that anything you can build with cleric levels will be melee-capable, at least in PvE. It's just too easy for them not to be with a couple of spells. What I'm curious about is what you're planning to do when they're not meleeing, because there is where I think you'll find a worthwhile difference between Druid and Cleric, besides the melee stuff. Most builds, especially ones with caster levels, that you mix with WM are going to be hard up for feats because WM requires so many. And without some feat investment into your spells, they tend to fall off at higher levels and you find yourself not using them as much as you'd like. In light of that, I wonder if you can't get what you're looking for in a Stormlord with Cleric/Figther/X. Build 3 for example allows you to tie in some of the natural element you wanted with Druid.

If you want something that can blast and disrupt while not in melee, the Air + Destruction domains give you Call Lightning, Chain Lightning, and a second level of Implosions. Add them to spells like Earthquake, Firestorm, and Flame Strike, you have a neat kit that is boosted by Evocation focus that you can spam mid-late levels when you're not in melee. Not to say you couldn't go caster druid as well, but to my findings, they aren't as easy to melee with on their own(which is why they get a companion and shapeshifting). If you're planning to be melee-oriented first and casting only to buff, there might be some different options. I just figured a Storlord would want to be able to strike fear into the hearts of men with their actual storms and whatnot. :) The perks of the class itself deal more with little doodads and resistances that are likely easier represented by widgets, so the base class flavor is your call. But certain things might resonate with each other, like BoT'd Flame Weapon/Darkfire to represent Shock Weapon, or Master Scout's Flawless Stride to represent Storm Walk.

Lascer

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 14 2015, 23:49 PM 

Player

Much of that is why I was leaning towards the melee cleric in build 1. It's just hard to do better than that, mechanically, I'm not very good with casters in general, but particularly with battle casters (as opposed to the buff and forget version). It's sorta sad, but the +15 free AC/ +12(?) AB clerics get, along with the domain abilities, pretty much trumps anything and makes it easy to build. There don't seem to be many examples of melee druids on the forums (or many high druid level builds at all, really), but that's what I'd like to do. Maybe I'm just overlooking things?

It would be nice to have scary spells, but I don't think any of the builds put forward are going to. To achieve that I think it costs any sort of melee ability, no? I like the WM added, because it makes them more intimidating (and you know you can't intimidate any characters around here without actually intimidating the player). But it's not only expensive in feats, the ability requirements are high as well. There's some serious MAD gong on here, with STR needed to hit (cleric spells mitigate some) WIS needed to cast (melee focus robs you of scary DC spells), and both DEX and INT required to be at least 13... and CHA needed too if one is looking at divine might/shield.

And while the thrown weapon variant might be interesting, as a third choice it's pretty far behind the other two. I'm not necessarily tied to the WM thing though, it just seems one of the better ways to ensure melee ability (the bonus AB it gets, above other full AB classes, makes it attractive as well on a caster build).

Fake edit: Actually, after fully mapping this out offline, WM just doesn't work well, and trident being a 20/x2 weapon it just doesn't get a lot of oomph from it anyways.

What I'm looking at now, melee druid:
Druid 21/Fighter 4/MS 5
16/4 pre-epic, 21/4/5 final
Str 15 -> 18 Dex 12 Con 10 Wis 16 -> 20 Int 14 Cha 8

(H) Disarm (tridents are still large weapons, so circumstantial bonus AB)
(1) Extend Spell
(3) Expertise
(6) Spell Focus, Evocation
(9) Greater Spell Focus, Evocation
(12) Improved Crit (?)
(15) Skill Focus, Spot (req.)
(18) Skill Focus, Listen (req.)
(F1) Weapon Focus, Trident (hoping it works, offline tests say it does not)
(F2) Improved Disarm
(F4) Weapon Specialization, Trident
(21) Epic Weapon Focus. Trident (hoping it works, offline tests say it does)
(24) Epic Spell Focus, Evocation
(27) Epic Spell, Mummy Dust (Ancient Air Elemental)
(30) Armor Skin (?)
(MS1) Epic Fortitude (req., sub for great fortitude)
(MS5) Epic Prowess

Questions:
Would the Air Elemental version of Mummy Dust be useful to this build? Not sure what role it fits.
The possible DC of evocation spells would range from 28-36, correct? The highest would actually be earthquake with a 35. That seems way sub-par to me...
Improved Crit, or Brew Potion?
Armor Skin, or...? Could fit another Epic Spell

Druid 24 would protect me from Greater Dispel, I think. Would druid 24 only be dispelled on a 2 or less?
Druid 25 (or 30) would both help spells a lot, but would neuter the build in melee, right?
Any way to help spells AND preserve some melee that I'm missing?

Lascer

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 2:50 AM 

Player

Also, build help and portrait work offered to anyone wanting to make a complimentary character. A gang of us would be a lot more fun, if possibly short lived ;)

Position open include:
Arcane Lightning Artillery!
Thundering Barbarian Tank!
Storm Knight!
Tempest Rogue!
Voltaic Spellblade!
Moar Stormlords!

Apply Within!

Spirit of Rock

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 23 2015, 13:11 PM 

Player

Bamping this for interest. I should be getting sorted to play Amia next week, so I'm about ready to launch this band of elemental evils (viewtopic.php?f=148&t=83237) and need a build for my STORMLORD.

I really liked the Master Scout combination because the nature survivalist ties in so well ICly, and the speed and Freedom abilities are great mechanical abilities to represent the 'unstoppable force of nature' deal, but I think I'm going to go for a caster cleric. Cleric 29/Ranger 1 or Cleric 28/Ranger 1/Rogue 1 are certainly on the cards.

I was more curious about the Domains, though. I'm leaning very heavily towards the Air/Fire combo as a master of elements and elementals, but I'm curious about what the other non-standard domains bring to the table. Honestly I'm a big fan of simply chucking around the flashiest spells possible regardless of their mechanical strength, which is why the blinding flashes and ground-shaking from things like Call Lightning, Fireball and to a lesser extent Storm of Vengeance are so appealing to me.

EDIT: A quick perusal of the forums turned up this extensive list of standard and non-standard Domain spell listings. http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 2#p1016002

Silkelock

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 23 2015, 13:32 PM 

Player

Oh, could you edit the subject to match the posting guidelines for builds please? :)

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]