View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
NAUX

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:17 AM 

Player

Hey, it has been a while since I was last here and I can see that there have been some changes around here regarding fishing. So with the usual fishing spot closed for future fishing seasons, where is the best spot for a fisherman to ask about fishing now?

In particular, if one were to have a quick question about a build combination and they were looking to get a quick answer on a better suggestion for that build combo, rather than first explaining the entire concept of the character for the build combination or the entire build combination (skills, abilities, feats included)?

Is it acceptable to just create a new topic and simply say, "Hey, I want (insert build combination), Dex based,Epic Dodge, ESF: Fishing, whatcha think, better combination?" allowing players to assume what you are after and provide a suggestion, or is the only option to post the full concept and build layout where I can get full feedback? Because I don't like the idea of having to create a [BUILD] thread for a build combination that is untested and potentially rubbish when those threads are more for the final tested builds that you are suggesting people to use.

I feel that being able to address these little quick questions was the strength of the Fishing thread. Whilst I agree that from what I have seen of the current system, it is far more organised, it doesnt easily allow for quick build assistance (unless I have overlooked the correct topic that provides it).

Please put me in the right direction!

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

Silkelock

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:46 AM 

Player

Good question, I have been considering making a general questions topic. So far we have classes and feats.

However, take a peek at what Davis did in this topic, it will surely help :)
http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=82155

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

NAUX

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:50 AM 

Player

Yeah, that post is what I was alluding to when I said "the current system, it is far more organised". But it only really caters for the "stable, proven and defined" builds and not the unknown. I fear that if you make a General questions topic, it will effectively be the rebirth of the Fishing thread, which is the problem and reason for this topic.

Silkelock

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:56 AM 

Player

This subforum is generally for builds and if you format accordingly with the Subject I see no issue in asking for help with what classcombos you are looking for :)

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

NAUX

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:00 AM 

Player

I'll give it a shot, however, expect others to follow :D!

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:50 PM 

Developer

Our highclass customer service was reduced to this ghastly fastfood self-service system!

It would be a good idea for some pros to write down a few tips about certain mechanics, like counterspelling, stealthing and detecting, trapping and other nifty things to expand our repertoire with new tricks. I once started working on the trap part, but was overencumbered by the sheer amount of work it required! But if anyone is up for the task, I'll gladly pitch in.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

joe15552

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:57 PM 

Player

Opustus wrote:
I once started working on the trap part, but was overencumbered by the sheer amount of work it required!

Watch out! It's a trap!

But seriously, I think that being good with traps doesn't take much more than putting max ranks into the skills and taking skill mastery. With a rank in spellcraft, and a bit of work, you can get together enough items to get +50 in all the skills you need.

PVP traps are interesting though.... I think the hardest part is placing a trap where people will actually get trapped without breaking the pvp rules... but if you got that down, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get some skill foci in trap skills to make them impossible to beat. It will be hard to make them impossible to find, though... too many people have very high search skills.

davis114

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 13:46 PM 

Player

Builds can be posted out on the main forum in the current format rules. Questions generally can go in one of the sticky's, depending on the type of question.

However, if you feel your question doesn't fit into one of those sticky's, then just post it out on the main forum. I'll link it to where I believe it's best located.

The Thanks For All the Fish thread is still open, so I'd suggest putting general questions in there. That way, it's easier for me to link them to the GQ I have set up under all those builds.

The original fishing thread wasn't closed because it was too large. It was closed because no one could find anything, so we were repeating questions and builds over and over. I have absolutely no problem with the Thanks thread getting large, and being used as a sounding board for quick build questions. Like I said, I'll keep it organized.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

davis114

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 13:59 PM 

Player

Opustus wrote:
Our highclass customer service was reduced to this ghastly fastfood self-service system!

It would be a good idea for some pros to write down a few tips about certain mechanics, like counterspelling, stealthing and detecting, trapping and other nifty things to expand our repertoire with new tricks. I once started working on the trap part, but was overencumbered by the sheer amount of work it required! But if anyone is up for the task, I'll gladly pitch in.

Also, I'm American. Fast food is like....what we do. 8)

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 18:00 PM 

Developer

joe15552 wrote:
Opustus wrote:
I once started working on the trap part, but was overencumbered by the sheer amount of work it required!

Watch out! It's a trap!

But seriously, I think that being good with traps doesn't take much more than putting max ranks into the skills and taking skill mastery. With a rank in spellcraft, and a bit of work, you can get together enough items to get +50 in all the skills you need.

PVP traps are interesting though.... I think the hardest part is placing a trap where people will actually get trapped without breaking the pvp rules... but if you got that down, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get some skill foci in trap skills to make them impossible to beat. It will be hard to make them impossible to find, though... too many people have very high search skills.

But even the basics requires an unduly amount of number-crunching from someone uninterested in the mechanics of the game. Might as well serve it on a silver platter so they can focus on the funsies.

And yup, Davis. You're like the Tiger Woods of bookkeeping! Wonder if you'd like to tidy up my characters' inventories?

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]