View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Arkun

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:16 AM 

Player

Hi there fine building character folks,

I'm having a bit of a conundrum, as I'd really like to perhaps play a tiefling that isn't human -- but I still want to be somewhat useful. As an assassin.

I've looked through the forums a bit and I saw a couple of really nice builds but there wasn't really anything that showed what kind of stuff to pick up while taking into consideration an ECL+1 race.

I was thinking perhaps a Fighter/Master Scout/Assassin mix, but I don't know what levels to drop and when to take the levels. Please help me, build forum, you're my only hope. Like obi-wan kenobi, except I hope you don't get chopped in half. :(

Larsaan

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 01 2015, 16:45 PM 

Player

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert builder.

It's a tricky mix to pull off. As a +1 race, you won't be able to take Epic Dodge using only Assassin. Consider a Monk 11/Assassin 18 build. Your AB won't be great, but you'll have a lot of attacks with a kama (or your fists, if you prefer), and your potential AC is quite beefy.

If you really want to use those classes, though, I'd go with Ftr6/MS5/Ass18. Ftr6/MS4/Ass10 pre-epic. You'll want a high INT, in part because starting as a Fighter and cross-classing to get to Master Scout will leave you somewhat skill-starved, and also because you'll rely on your death attack paralysis in lieu of other defenses.

Unless you decide to go a bit crazy and make a STR-based assassin, I guess. Get yourself an item with Sneak Attack on it, and I could see a plate-wearing, Death Attacking, Crippling Striking, DevCritting assassin being quite scary indeed. You'll want more fighter levels in epic for that, though. Maybe Ftr10/MS5/Ass14.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

Uberuce

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 01 2015, 19:46 PM 

Player

I abandoned a Monk8/BG4/Assn18 the other day. She'd get Epic Dodge because of getting 30 levels, but I wasn't impressed enough by the custom Amian attacks. I admit I sacked her before the interesting one came along, by which I mean the Kneecapper's Knife, which by endgame is Knockdown for 6 rounds versus Reflex. This is written on the assumption the PvP metagame is still in much the same place as it was a few years back, by which I mean everyone who goes in for that part of the server wears 39 Fort, permaFreedom, 39 Will (or chugs Mindblank at the first sign of trouble) but might have the kind of Reflex save an Assn18 can reasonably expect to beat without suicidal investment in INT.

I was initially hoping that Murder would be the build's big thing, but the custom attacks only ping once every turn; it's not like the default Paralysis that rolls for every attack in the first out-of-combat flurry, so the benefits of going Monk are the same as for Rogue.

The feat progression, AB progression and building limitations from being a Prestige Class have defeated me. Thus my only honest advice is: make a Rogue instead and kill people for money.

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 01 2015, 22:10 PM 

Player

I made a thing!.... It's a human base, though. Sorry :/

Like always, tweak this as you will, I tossed fighter out in lieu of Rogue, because that makes skills much more doable with this build, and your sneak damage will be tasty~

Two-weapon fighting isn't essential, and you could very easily toss it out the window and take KD/IKD, but your AB is going to be low, so it might not be a great idea.

Anyways, here's my advice:

Tiefling (Human, Sorry!)
STR: 12
DEX: 16 (18)
CON: 12
WIS: 8
INT: 16 (18)
CHA: 10 (8)

Rogue 10 / Assassin 14 / Master Scout 5

Pre-epic: Rogue 10 / Assassin 10

Epic Level Progression! (This is important!)
21-23: Master Scout
24-27: Assassin
28/29: Master Scout

Feats:
1 Ambidexterity, Two-weapon Fighting
3 Weapon Finesse
6 Weapon Focus dagger
9 Skill Focus: Spot
12 Improved Critical: Dagger
15 Skill Focus: Listen
18 Improved Two-weapon Fighting
21 Epic Weapon Focus Dagger
24 Great Dexterity 1
27 Epic Dodge

Rogue 10: Improved Evasion
Assassin 14: Defensive Roll
Master Scout 1: Epic prowess or an epic Skill Focus
Master Scout 5: Epic Fortitude or an Epic Skill Focus

Skills:
Disable trap: 20
Discipline: 32
Hide: 32
Lore: 6
Move Silently: 32
Open Lock: 20
Pick Pocket: 1
Search: 20
Set Trap: 20
Spot: 32
Tumble: 30
UMD: 26

AB/APR
Main-hand: 40/35/30
Off-hand: 40/35

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 02 2015, 21:54 PM 

Player

One epic skill focus feat could be traded for epic dex, saving the epic dex slot for something else.

Arkun

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 20:03 PM 

Player

Thank you for the responses! I'll take a think on Monk/Assassin, but Raua, your build looks nice. I understand the Human bit for the extra feat and all that, so maybe I could try and tweak it, it's neat all the same though!

Raua

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 21:26 PM 

Player

If you want to do a non-human, you could always drop Ambidex/Two weapon at level 1 and take Shield proficiency, Then focus in Rapier for better critical ranges (Unless you're a midget or Gorilla-armed midget). And in place of improved 2 weapon fighting you could take Blind-Fight (Or KD if you plan on only PVE) Upside is your AB will end up 2 Higher because you don't have the Dual wielding penalties.

Lots of things you can do, really~

Maved

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01 2015, 6:16 AM 

Player

UMD needs to be a multiple of 5

Ts_

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01 2015, 7:41 AM 

Player

Maved wrote:
UMD needs to be a multiple of 5

Including stat bonus and gear and, technically, only while equipping. Considering it's a CHA 8 build, it would have a naked UMD of 25, which is a very good number.

Raua

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01 2015, 13:58 PM 

Player

Yepsa! I almost never have a flat 5 Intervals for my UMD because most of my characters don't have a 0 CHA modifier, they're either positive or negative~ :P

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01 2015, 21:21 PM 

DM

Uberuce wrote:
I abandoned a Monk8/BG4/Assn18 the other day. She'd get Epic Dodge because of getting 30 levels, but I wasn't impressed enough by the custom Amian attacks. I admit I sacked her before the interesting one came along, by which I mean the Kneecapper's Knife, which by endgame is Knockdown for 6 rounds versus Reflex. This is written on the assumption the PvP metagame is still in much the same place as it was a few years back, by which I mean everyone who goes in for that part of the server wears 39 Fort, permaFreedom, 39 Will (or chugs Mindblank at the first sign of trouble) but might have the kind of Reflex save an Assn18 can reasonably expect to beat without suicidal investment in INT.

I was initially hoping that Murder would be the build's big thing, but the custom attacks only ping once every turn; it's not like the default Paralysis that rolls for every attack in the first out-of-combat flurry, so the benefits of going Monk are the same as for Rogue.

The feat progression, AB progression and building limitations from being a Prestige Class have defeated me. Thus my only honest advice is: make a Rogue instead and kill people for money.

I went 10 Fighter 2 Rogue 18 Assassin. I focused in on using a short sword and trying to obtain the most AB possible. Ultimately, I am with Uberance on this. The once very turn ability really kills a lot of the drive I had for the build and I ended up abandoning it too.

1 Rogue
2-10 Fighter.
11 Rogue
12-30 Assassin with one fighter level thrown in

Pre epic feats (8 + 5 Fighter): Weapon Focus, Improved Crit, Weapon Finesse,
two weapon fighting, ambidexterity, improved two weapon fighting, 3 feats (sprint),
Weapon spec, blind fight, toughness, Knockdown + impro knockdown

Epic Feats: Armored skin, epic weapon focus, epic prowess, EWS with Fighter ...Impro Evasion + Defensive roll then epic dodge!

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 02 2015, 3:50 AM 

Developer

I've made a very successful kobold assassin before. To make it work well you definitely want 18+ levels in assassin. Don't sell the special techniques short though, if you use them properly they're downright deadly. Another tool in your bag of dirty tricks, from stealth, traps, sneak attacks, IKD, use the right tool for the right job and it'll do well for sure.

The ECL does restrict some of the better build combos though. SD will be hard to fit in, if you want HIPS you'll need to give up the fourth attack per round or assassin 18 (don't do that.)

You might also want to consider using ranger instead of rogue, since it's got full BAB, still has class skill in stealth, so you can take assassin after 5 ranger levels.

It's easier to build an INT based build with tiefling. A typical Ranger/Assassin with a high INT and focus in a ranged weapon can be a real wrecking ball if you use your stealth and skills to the best of your ability. DEX focused is harder to make with the requirements for epic dodge.

If you're really set on master scout, go 6/5/18 Fighter or Ranger/MS/Assassin. 6/4/10 Pre-epic will keep the fourth attack. You won't be able to get epic dodge this way though.

My recommended builds are, if you're set on tiefling:

10/19 Monk/Assassin

8/18(20)/10/14(16)/14/8(6)

Pre-epic(8): TWF, Ambidex, Finesse, Focus, Blind Fight, ITWF, IMPR Crit, (Freebie)
Epic(3+2A): EWF, Defensive Roll(Assassin Bonus), Armor Skin (Or Epic Prowess), Epic Dodge, Great Dex 1(Assassin Bonus)

Alternatively, take 1 ranger or fighter level in epic instead of assassin to pick up epic prowess, armor skin, or another feat (Epic hide or spot are good too)

This build gets 7 APR unhasted (8 with flurry), and the speed from monk is helpful for a sneak. Must be LE alignment though, which would be annoying if you wanted to play a nonlawful character.

The other option would be INT based:

10/16(18)/12/16(18)/12/8(6)

10/19 Ranger/Assassin

Pre-epic(8): Finesse, Weapon Focus, Pt Blank Shot, Rapid Shot (Or Rapid Reload if you use a crossbow), Blind Fight, IMPR Crit, 2xfree
Epic(3+2A): G-Int 1, ESF Hide(Assassin Bonus), ESF Move Silently(Assassin Bonus), EWF, ESF: Spot

10/18/12/26/12/6

The INT based version will have a ton of skill points to work with, and the 10 ranger should help keep the AB decent. It will rely a lot on fighting from ambush and using skills rather than direct trading of attacks.

Just an FYI, you can use fighter instead of ranger to 1: Not have to take 11 WIS at creation and 2: to get more pre-epic feats. With a tiefling this results in an XP Penalty. You do have other options, such as taking divine champion, though I stuck with ranger to keep it simple. You can dip rogue (4 levels pre-epic), but that does cost an AB, which with only an 18 base dex won't be that high. You do also get all the dual wielding feats if you go full ranger, though I don't recommend using it too often since this build hurts on both AB and AC in late levels, but you can do some impressive damage with it if you catch someone flatfooted. You won't be lacking on skillpoints, so it may be best to go 6/19/4 Ranger/Assassin/Divine Champion, get yourself 2 extra feats and some bonus saves while you're at it, which with this character will be hurting too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]