View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
6_Shot

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 02 2015, 22:18 PM 

Player

Hey guys, here's what I got. 16 Monk/8 Fighter/ 6 SD, strength based. He'll be kinda a one trick pony, hide in the shadows and then smash some heads, wait in the shadows, smash some heads. I'm just having some troubles with the stats, I think there is too much spread around. I was wanting dev crit with Q-Staff.

Water Genasi
Str - 17
Dex - 14
Con - 10
Wis - 10
Int - 14
Char - 9

Teric Mossdeep

Various other random characters

Uberuce

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 19:26 PM 

Player

1) Don't do it.
2) If you do do it, learn to cornersneak and go Rogue/Ftr/Monk instead. Heavy on the Rogue. That makes you a two-trick pony, the new one being IKD, but still..
.3) Devcrit isn't worth the feat. Overwhelming and Great Cleave are fine and dandy, but the list of things that will survive your first round out of stealth but won't have the Fort to pass the Dev save is a short one.

6_Shot

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 20:50 PM 

Player

I was going for a bodyguard type guy that hides in the shadows. Is it too gimped or not that good?

Teric Mossdeep

Various other random characters

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 20:55 PM 

Player

The build really isn't that good, for a Q-Staff Dev crit monk. I suggest the following:

Fighter 4 for Weapon Specialization and Epic Specialization. Additional AB at the end.
Monk 18 for Self-Concealment 50% which is a great hand in PvP / PvE.
Shadow dancer 8 which is just good for RP. To have additional levels. Plus access to the Shadow Dancer's academy and more.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Uberuce

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 21:30 PM 

Player

I am confuse. Ftr4 won't give Epic Spec *and* improved AB. Ftr5 or 6 will.

The 50% conceal from Monk 18 can be drunk from Displacement potions(either brewed from PC's or on infinite sale at a few vendors) or gained from Improved Invis scrolls(infinite sale again) or from Improved Invis wands from PC's. The II scrolls/wands last much longer but Displacement and Empty Self ignore Invis Purge, but that just means Empty lasts twice as long as Summer Wine. Better, but not game-changingly so.

I made a Devcritting Monk6/Ftr8/Rogue16 staffer, and he's the most brutal thing I've ever built for mobs and flatfooted people, but in hindsight, I'd have gone Monk4/Ftr4/Rogue12 into Monk5/Ftr6/Rogue19 and done without Devcrit. It's still a niche build, but for jumping out of the shadows and defending your Daimyo while the bad guy is still flatfoot, I think it would take a mage to beat it.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 21:42 PM 

Player

He won't be able to use scrolls or wands with those classes, mind you. Contrary to popular belief, shadowdancers don't have access to UMD.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 04 2015, 9:30 AM 

Player

I'm trying something similar, but I went for double kamas (hoping for enemies rolling 1 on dev-crit). It's hard to create and I'm not sure about outcome. Lvl 17, I have HIPS already but it is not as survivable on solo lvling as I would hope. In party it works good enough as damage dealer.

But if thinking about bodyguard who jumps out of shadows and destroys enemies...what do you want?
- Does it have to be STR build?
- Wouldn't Crippling Strike from Rogue work better? No save, str build lose AB, dex and casters might get slowed cause of being encumbered, melee builds lose dmg (ranged lose bits from "Mighty").
- Does it have be in light / no armor?

I was once working on this concept on another server and I came to conclusion that "bodyguard in the shadows" concept works best with rogue. You can go with dex or str, it is easier to create, more flexible. You can focus on certain weapon, but if you should happen to be in situation without that weapon (me and my DnD-sessions thinking), you still go hard with sneak attacks.

My 2 conclusions were:
Rogue - Monk - SD/Fighter = dex build, dual wield, focus on kama(s) (more attacks), dmg from sneaks mostly, HIPS or more attacks depending on your preference

Rogue - Fighter - SD/WM = str build, can be dual wield, sneak + str damage, can go for dev-crit, HIPS or more crits

For you idea I would prefer to use SD as third class.
(both planned for lvl 40, so it might be hard to get dev-crit + dual-wield + everthing else, but you might take just some of it)

CET time zone

Uberuce

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 04 2015, 16:19 PM 

Player

Larsaan wrote:
He won't be able to use scrolls or wands with those classes, mind you. Contrary to popular belief, shadowdancers don't have access to UMD.
I didn't make it at all clear that I was comparing the Monk18/SD6/Ftr8 to the Monk6/Ftr5/Rogue19. In my head it was crystal.

dinosaur

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 17 2015, 18:03 PM 

Player

having made a dex based WM SD i can state that unless you invest feats and equipment slots in improving stealth most epic grade monsters will spot you. 5% pc's spot you 95% monsters spot you unless you go real serious about stealth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]