View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 18:57 PM 

Player

So, I'm contemplating a pure caster cleric character, and I'm looking for maybe just general conceptual advice on how to successfully pull off such a thing.

I'm thinking lots of Wisdom, some Evocation focuses for Implosion and Earthquake awesomeness, Extend and Silent for metamagics.

What am I missing? Do weapon and combat feats have a place here? Are there other schools or spells that should have my attention?

Anatida

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 19:00 PM 

Player

You will probably still want Divine Shield for that AC, so don't skimp on the CHA.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 19:57 PM 

Player

I've made three; two of them naughty types with undead summons/dominates and the other relied on the oldschool EDK, which probably still is viable but not as broken. One of the naughties was Necro focused, the other Evocation, but both had Zen Archery and neither spent any time hiding under Invisibility or AC tanking with Divine Shield. I qualify that by saying they'd chug Invis and escape if their summons got killed, but their moment-to-moment gameplay was letting them tank while casting disabler spells and then plinking away with a sling because you might as well use the level 1'n'2 slots for Divine Favour.

The EDK dude melee'd with reasonable success, but this was before Earthquake became awesome. I expect he'd just spam that these days.

All had pimped up WIS and Epic Spell Focus as well as Extend, Maximise and Silent. I can't say I ever missed Divine Shield on them.

Zen Archery is a good value for money on a WIS-pimping build, be it Cleric or Druid. If you consider the alternative (hiding under Invis) then it's a pre-epic feat that adds ~40 damage per round to what your summons and player tanks are doing. 40 dmg/round is utmost shite for a real combatant's total damage output, of course, but you're not one of them, so don't feel bad about the wee numbers.

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 20:01 PM 

Developer

Naw, just skimp on the CHA; it's way too expensive for a caster cleric who's already horribly short on feats. Evocation focus is the caster cleric's bread and butter, but Necromancy and Conjuration may have their advantages as well depending on your domains; you have Storm of Vengeance (Conj.) and Destruction and Harm (Necr.) in the common stockpile, but Evocation is mandatory if you want to be a credible offensive caster with its Hammer of the Gods, Blade Barrier, Word of Faith, Earthquake, Sunbeam and Implosion.

I'd heavily recommend you take Automatic quicken spell III, if you don't have Haste. The first few rounds will determine how you fare in battle, and frankly, slow spellcasting is a pain in the bum.

My caster cleric had Zen Archery, but I found that sword and shield was much more effective in basic PvM, so the piddly damage the sling could dole out was inconsequential in terms of both PvM and PvP. Even without any melee focuses or maxed out STR - which you can easily attain for your PvM gearset - you'll reach an AB of mid-40s in full Cleric sparkle.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 22:33 PM 

Player

Which is the optimal EMD summon to choose, for purposes of hiding behind it while it tanks things for me?

The Elemental's duration will be extended by virtue of the evocation feats I'll be taking anyway, but I've heard it's noticeably weaker than the construct or undead. Truth?

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 03 2015, 23:29 PM 

Developer

I think your character, Cleric specifically, should consider her deity's portfolio for that. Elemental deity = elemental summon; archetype evil/good/neutral deity = outsider summon; nature deity = magical beast summon; necromantic deity = undead summon; martinet law-enforcing/tinkerer inventor deity = construct summon.

The summons were created to provide alternatives for both RP and mechanic variety, but alas there's a conspicuous surfeit of Construct EMDs stomping the bosses of Amia. Honestly I think that is because the construct is the most powerful of the selection, but each of the summons also arguably fills their niche; the Mummy variety, for example, works wonders with the once/spawn dose of Negative Energy Burst, debuffing and damaging the enemy lines while buffing and healing your summon. Don't let your decision be swayed by the implied power level of the summons, rather opt for the one to best fit your sw4g; look for effective methods of supplementing your summon's strengths and weaknesses with the proper offensive spell and buff arsenal. I promise you every one of them can hold their own in the epic areas.

daisuki kappukeki

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 04 2015, 3:47 AM 

Player

is cleric/SD a thing?

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 04 2015, 10:11 AM 

Developer

It's not a very good thing. Clerk/SD is starved on feats, skills and abilities, but if you want to make it, Cleric20/SD10 or Cleric23/SD7 is your best bet. The former gets Epic Dodge, the latter gets epic summon.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 14 2015, 19:15 PM 

Player

I am very partial to Cleric 29 / Ranger 1 with all three Auto-Quicken feats. Epic Evocation and Conjuration focuses. Extend, Maximize, Quicken, Silence metamagic feats. Epic Spot. Mediocre to Above Average stealth (I think 84/84 was the max) if you want it.

I took Ranger at level 26 (I can't remember exactly why it had to be that level, but I know it was the only way to work it).

I agree with Opustus on the EMD summon.

Take Shar as your Lo-, er, Lady and Savior...Trickery and Cavern domains. Laugh at the world while you wreck it with up to 21 Earthquakes in one rest period.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]