View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
Tyris

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:24 PM 

Player

What's the "go to" class with regards to mixing with druid class? Sitting at 24 levels of druid would like to get 1 more for the Elder shapes but then and maybe mummy dust although already have the Dragon Knight with the Epic Conjuring focus so it lasts a really long time. Also have about 60 skill points saved as well.

Any thoughts?

Ulir

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 18:03 PM 

Player

Druid 28/Rogue 1/Ranger 1 always works. Ranger 1 for an epic feat and discipline, and rogue for tumble, umd and some random skills like disable/set trap, if you have the skill points for it.

Ts_

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 18:09 PM 

Player

Druid 30 also works, and Dragon Shape is a worthwhile goal (though that might require a bit of Divine Champion for bonus feats or better yet, some rebuilding). Sadly, the "Thanks for all the fish" sticky thread above lists only few Druid builds, and those that mix in a few levels, go for 4 full BAB classes in preepic.

Regards
Ts

Ts_

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 19:21 PM 

Player

And now that I don't have to type on my phone ... What kind of a druid are you?

For casters, the mentioned X 28 / Ranger 1 / Rogue 1 is always nice. Since you might not need that Ranger bonus feat, Rogue 2 could work for the relaxed life with Improved Evasion, but Discipline is probably more useful. (Unless you're Druid is very shy in combat.)

If you want a more meleeish druid, a level of Fighter (instead of Ranger) can also open other feat options. If you have really low DEX, the heavy armor proficiency might also be useful to you. (I think there's a "dragon scale" heavy armor that Druids are allowed to use. But if you have even a bit of DEX, you can just buff to DEX 18 and use medium armor instead, at least for the important fights.)

Druid 30 makes your pet a bit better, due to its own increased levels but also the Amia-specific pet buffs. So that's also good and the laziest option. ;)

Regards
Ts

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 20:44 PM 

DM

25 Druid/5 KC works well too if you want to be more meleish and shape focused.

Raua

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 20:46 PM 

Player

The reason for ranger over fighter is typically for taking an epic spell focus (which is usually what the bonus feat is, since a spell focus is a ranger bonu feat!) It also has synergy with Druid skills, and spells!

Zen archery is always wonderful for Druids and clerics, if you want a more combat-capable character. Since you won't need to divide from wisdom. I'd say go for 24 Druid / 5 Ranger / 1 Rogue, taking 4 ranger pre epic for your full BAB, and your 5th in epics so you can take epic conjuration as the bonus feat.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 21:35 PM 

Player

I built a pretty mean druid a while back, but Dragonshape is mostly a gimmick. The best druids are hands down casters, they get a lot of different damage types and they can keep true seeing up, in accompanyment to their minimum of 36 (in gear) wisdom score. They can hut every save reliably and blanket an area in damage over time type spells.

I'll look for one of my druid builds, and I'll tweek it if I find the time. The only thing I don't really know is how to gear your class. That's something you'll have to ask the people who still play here for, since there's a few pieces of caster gear you can purchase that makes my mythal slot set up insufficient. If you ever want the perfect far set for most other classes I'm great at that though.

That said,
Druid 24/Divine Champion 6 is pretty solid if you want to maximize your casting power yo the detriment of everything else, but it's not an amazing survivor since it lacks uncanny dodge or heavy armor.

You would take all your DC levels in epics so you can use your bonus feats for caster stuff. I'd user that build to go with an Auto-Quicken III caster and build stuff personally.

Either way, have fun. I'll maybe build that for you property like.

Raua's build is also fun though, if you like being able to hit stuff without spells and still do damage. It's not a bad build for longer events... mine is sort of a pvp face melter.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Tyris

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:52 AM 

Player

Torn between Dragon Shape and not Dragonshape, I've heard some people say its tops, while others say it sucks. It's a long road to get there to find that the people that say it sucks are correct.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 8:18 AM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:

This is also great because your KC auras affect your pets. Righteous Anger and I talked about this build at a great deal of length, calling it the Beastmaster.

I still want to try it out someday.

maglorine

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 10:50 AM 

Player

Tyris wrote:
Torn between Dragon Shape and not Dragonshape, I've heard some people say its tops, while others say it sucks. It's a long road to get there to find that the people that say it sucks are correct.

The problem is twofold:
1) many indoor areas are just too small to allow for its use
2) many outdoor areas have pathing issues. Twigs, branches, roots, and objects that you should by all rights pulverize underfoot, instead prevent you from moving freely during encounters.

Combine this with a very low # of uses and you can see why it causes some people to want to pound their head into the keyboard.

The Shape itself is wonderfully effective when you are able to use it. I was able to squeeze Knockdown into my build. You can imagine how well that works in dragonshape.

My Dragon druid ended up getting the feat on his last level after many months of leveling. After playing him a few more weeks I got frustrated and moved on. Your mileage may vary.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 12:54 PM 

DM

DerkDerkistan wrote:
Maverick00053 wrote:

This is also great because your KC auras affect your pets. Righteous Anger and I talked about this build at a great deal of length, calling it the Beastmaster.

I still want to try it out someday.

The one most overlooked thing everyone has to consider is a druid's blood frenzy spell.

• CL 25 – 29 : +5 Attack Bonus, +2 Regeneration, +2 Damage Bonus

That will last 25 rounds. So 2.5 minutes and more if you grab extended. While it isn't very long it makes you into a true badass for a few minutes to clean up a boss/spawns/etc.

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 17:46 PM 

Player

I have a druid 28/ranger 1/rogue 1 with epic spell focus and dragonshape. Having around 52 ab and 63 ac isn't too bad (as a dragon), especially when it lasts 56 rounds.
While it's a hazzle in certain areas, you can also use epic elemental shapes alongside a summon plus your pet for funsies in smaller areas. Dragonshape + knockdown = Good times. AND if there is little room for shifting, you are always a very competent caster, with epic spell focus. You have room for one epic spell as well. Personally I like when casting a Hellball or Greater Ruin in dragonshape :P

Uberuce

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 19:17 PM 

Player

If you treat Dragonshape as an unusual and very good Epic Spell that's worth tossing a couple of pre-epic feats towards, rather than being the whole focal point for the build, you'll have happy fun times.

Tyris

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 22:50 PM 

Player

Are the mechanics and size of the Dragon from the dragonshape feat identical to the 9th level Shapechange spell that allows you to polymorph into a dragon?

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 27 2015, 23:55 PM 

Player

Tyris wrote:
Are the mechanics and size of the Dragon from the dragonshape feat identical to the 9th level Shapechange spell that allows you to polymorph into a dragon?

I do think they share the same size, but the shifter dragon is much stronger I think.

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 28 2015, 0:12 AM 

Player

Shadowfiend wrote:
Tyris wrote:

I do think they share the same size, but the shifter dragon is much stronger I think.

Yep, they're much better than the shapechange variant, Otherwise the feat would be stupidly redundant~

Tyris

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 28 2015, 0:18 AM 

Player

Yeah, I read the file on the shapes, I was just trying to find out about the mechanics of walking around as a dragon from the Shapechange spell were exactly the same as the dragonshape feat. I mucked about in the desert a bit and even in the wide open spaces it seemed "clunky" also noticed no fear aura.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:36 AM 

Player

Dragonshape is incredibly clunky, but fun. If you want to build for it, the builds mentioned above are not terrible at accomplishing what you want! In fact they're incredibly good at it, I just happen to hold pretense against dragon shape because I'm a jerk.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Solvaras

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 30 2015, 11:32 AM 

Player

Uberuce wrote:
If you treat Dragonshape as an unusual and very good Epic Spell that's worth tossing a couple of pre-epic feats towards, rather than being the whole focal point for the build, you'll have happy fun times.

This. Because even if you cant use dragon shape, you're still a caster with 28 caster levels and 30 wisdom base. Stuff will die regardless.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]