View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 03 2015, 21:30 PM 

Player

Does anyone have a good idea for a Drow Wizard? I wanted a more melee arcanist which forced me to focus on Tenser Transformation. I worked out a Wizard / Fighter / Rouge, very basic. Thought about spicing the concept up by making it a Duel-Wield Rapier user. But I'm not that good with builds as you can see. Anyone have any ideas on a good Tenser melee drow? With the minus (-2) two ECL it's quite difficult to make a sturdy one.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Ts_

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 03 2015, 22:20 PM 

Player

Don't you mean dual-wielded scimitars? ;)

More seriously: Wouldn't you usually want a light off-hand weapon? Rapiers (and scimmies) are medium-sized so will give you an extra -2 AB if dual-wielded (-4 AB in total, assuming you have the dual-wield feats). Usually choosing a light weapon (the same for both hands) has the disadvantage of having a little bit less base damage, but more AB. In case of of rapiers you would have to switch to kukris if you want that threat range, so it takes 1 preepic feat and you lose 1 avg damage to avoid that -2 AB. That's a bit expensive, but I don't think a melee wizard has AB to spare ... (Then again, it's easy enough to switch a second weapon for a shield if AB is needed.)

Or is it ever worth it to dual-wield rapiers?

Regards
Ts

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 04 2015, 0:49 AM 

Player

Rapiers have the unique exception of being finesse-able medium size weapons, and with its 1d6 and 18-20x crit range it is often a good trade off for the lost AB.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]