View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Kamina

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 07 2015, 20:28 PM 

Player

Hey guys, I'm curious how viable a 21 Rogue/4 Fighter/5 MS build could be? I'm not looking for an epic solo adventure but on the same token, more in line for any scenarios that allows my character to set up traps.

Any advice would be great!

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Larsaan

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 07 2015, 22:18 PM 

Player

For those classes, I'd maybe bump the fighter levels up to 6. You lose a die of sneak attack and a few skill points, but it nets you an extra feat. That said, I'd suggest maybe looking into builds with shadowdancer if you're going to be trap-focused. Setting up traps takes time, so you're going to want escape buttons and mobility to take full advantage of a terrain you've prepared. Hell, if you're really crazy you might even consider a DD/MS build, provided you'll be able to learn how to fly.

Mind you, high level monsters (and especially bosses) have waaay to high saves for traps to be a cost-efficient weapon in normal PvE. You might find some use for them in PvP, though, and I'll admit that they actually have saved my bacon once in a DM event.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 08 2015, 8:08 AM 

Player

19/6/5 is the sweet spot for the build, yeah. I was briefly trying to level a character of the same build but a different concept. It's pretty solid, but you have to get used to corner sneaking.

maglorine

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 08 2015, 13:57 PM 

Player

19/6/5 is exactly Missus build. Totally viable. That's on Rock Gnome and using a Whip as her primary weapon. Pick a better subrace like Lightfoot Hin and a better weapon and you'll be doing even better.

Tons of Skill Points, nice sneak dice in parties, good survivability with Epic Dodge and high AC. You can craft as many deadly traps as you can afford, snag bags full of epic traps with a few Abyss runs, and craft some nice MS goodies.

Soloing for me is a bother as I'm not a big fan of corner sneaking, but if you are in just about any party it's all good.

Kamina

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 08 2015, 13:57 PM 

Player

Corner sneaking shouldn't be an issue. I'm used to it playing SD where sometimes I need to stealth before cool down. So what's the best leveling up? 14 rogue/6 fighter pre epic or will 9 rogue/6 fighter/5 MS worth it?

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

maglorine

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 08 2015, 14:08 PM 

Player

Neither. If you do all your Fighter and MS levels pre epic you will not be able to max out Discipline or get Epic Weapon Specialization.

I did 16 Rogue/4 Fighter Pre Epic for 4 Attacks and the last fighter levels in Epic for Epic Weapon Specialization. All MS Levels were in Epic for the Epic Feats.

You could also do 12 Rogue/4 Master Scout/4 Fighter Pre Epic. Gets you some MS goodies earlier, still leaves the last MS level in Epic for Discipline dump and an Epic Feat and you get EWSpec.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 08 2015, 21:24 PM 

Player

I prefer the 16/4 pre epic and save both MS feats for Epic.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 08 2015, 21:31 PM 

Developer

If you go 15/5 pre-epic, you can push one of the rogue feats into epic levels, netting an epic feat. This does cost you 1 point of reflex saves, but it's usually worth it since they're so high on a dex rogue anyways.

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 10 2015, 19:36 PM 

Player

Got a rogue 19/fighter 6/ms 5 trap master/potential security chief sort of guy as well. Having the guaranteed success of setting traps in combat (Skill Mastery) that you get from rogue is great, if focusing on traps. As others said, soloing 20+ level content is slightly tricky.

An alternative to that without using rogue, is fighter 18/wm 7/ms 5 for example. You won't be as awesome at setting traps in combat and possess heavy sneak damage etc., but you'll have 54 AB in wilderness areas, around 68 AC, 32 base dex, PLUS capable at disarming and setting epic traps AND enjoying the perks of being a MS. Good times ahead. :)

NAUX

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 10 2015, 21:36 PM 

Player

I'm playing a 11 Rogue/14 DWD/5 MS at the moment. Hes a Dwarven EOD engineer (Explosive Ordnance Detonation). Focuses primarily in grenade weapons and traps, but uses a sneaking sling once status effects from the grenades kick in.

The idea is to place traps in the thick of combat by taking advantage of the Rogue 10 Skill Mastery feat for natural 20's, whilst shrugging off any blows he might take during the setting of the trap or the actual triggering of the trap with EDR 3 and DWD DR 6.

High Dex and Reflex, Epic Skill Focuses in Set, Disarm and Craft trap make him a master of his art, with a high Ranged Touch Attack to accompany it for the grenades.

So far it's the one of the most interesting builds I've ever ever made and played, albeit a little slow to level.

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 15 2015, 23:23 PM 

Player

Go 6 fighter/19 rog for sure as epic weapon spec will net you more damage on average than another d6, plus it gives a bit more bite against sneak-immune targets. Don't forget knockdown, it's a must for every sneak!

Traps are fun, but... hrm, I need to make another post in IA...

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]