View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
NiwatoriKami

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:13 AM 

Player

I am trying to create a wizard based on a Svirfneblin and activating the race doesn't seem to add the right stats.

This is what I started during character creation:

STR 12
DEX 10
CON 16
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 12

According to the forums and the wiki, these will be modified using these values and what I expect it to become:

STR -2 = 10
DEX +2 = 12
CON -2 = 14
INT 0 = 16
WIS +2 = 12
CHA -4 = 8

However, after I activate the subrace, I get:

STR 12
DEX 12
CON 12
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 8

It seems that the correct values after activating the subrace is not being applied to STR and CON. I should be getting 10 STR and 14 CON using the stat modifiers after the subrace activation. Am I doing something wrong or did I just uncover a bug?

I've archived multiple instances of the same character and can't seem to figure out what is causing this and only recently realized that I found a bug or there is something I am not doing right.

Can anyone confirm?

maglorine

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:53 AM 

Player

It's working correctly. You need to reference against the base race of Gnome. The Gnome bonuses and penalties are removed when applying the subrace.

STR: Gnomes get a -2 STR, this is removed and replaced with the Svirf -2 STR. So, what you see in the character creation screen will remain the same since the removed and added penalty is the same.

CON: Gnomes get a +2 CON, this is removed and replaced with the Svirfs -2 CON. So when the subrace is activated you will see a -4 value from the Character Creation screen, in your case from 16 down to 12.

The other abilities are simpler because the base Gnome race has no penalties or bonuses in those.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 28 2015, 5:26 AM 

Player

I'm going to jump on this moving wagon with a question. Whats the difference between class level and character level with regards to spell resistance? In the subraces side bar:

For Svirfs it says: "Spell Resistance 11 + Character Level"
For Drow it says: "Spell Resistance 11 + Class Level"

I have a svirf and on the character sheet the spell resistance seems to add up to 11 + his class levels. i.e not including his ELC adjustments which I am assuming what character level refers to. Is the extra 2 points hidden or is this a bug?

kolde

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 28 2015, 11:25 AM 

Player

Luckbringer wrote:
I'm going to jump on this moving wagon with a question. Whats the difference between class level and character level with regards to spell resistance? In the subraces side bar:

For Svirfs it says: "Spell Resistance 11 + Character Level"
For Drow it says: "Spell Resistance 11 + Class Level"

I have a svirf and on the character sheet the spell resistance seems to add up to 11 + his class levels. i.e not including his ELC adjustments which I am assuming what character level refers to. Is the extra 2 points hidden or is this a bug?

Its just poor wording. Both races should be 11 + Total Character Level (not including ECL adjustment), for a max of 39 SR at level 28 (Effective Level 30)

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 28 2015, 13:21 PM 

Player

I probably should have meant including their ecl adjustments. I read it as an intentional difference in subrace spell resistance so that at max level a svirf would have its 30 character level (28+2ecl) plus 11 equalling 41 SR. Whereas a drow at max level would have its 28 class level plus 11 equalling 39 SR. My character sheet does not reflect this, so perhaps it is a typo, a bug or something else?

Solvaras

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 30 2015, 2:52 AM 

Player

Luckbringer wrote:
My character sheet does not reflect this, so perhaps it is a typo, a bug or something else?

Rule 1* of NWN: "The character sheet lies". Svirf's and drow should get the same spell resistance.

*on second hand, the first rule is to turn off shiny water, but for building and testing characters the character sheet lying to people comes first :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]