View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:24 PM 

Player

I recently saw someone say they can easily achieve OVER 60 AB with a STR based WM with 19 WM levels. I can calculate 60, but... it's not -easy- to achieve.

As was suggested, they said I should "look around the arena and watch combat logs", I decided it better to simply ask here.

Any ideas on how this might be done?

Thanks.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:25 PM 

Player

And... if they meant using TS potions.... OMG.. lame.

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:41 PM 

Player

Yeah, they were talking about AB with buffs, most likely.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:53 PM 

Player

Quote:
19 weapon master and max starting strength gets you almost 60, and with some basic buffs you'll get over 60 easily.

That is what was said. I assumed it meant without the usual +6 from aid, bless, battletide and warcry... oh, and divine favor makes +7, so I guess 61 is the max I can calculate. Well.... if we're getting silly, bard song makes it 63.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 19:01 PM 

DM

You have to take a grain of salt when people are talking about builds.

A lot of people will tell you they can get 60 AB and 60 AC easy! They are usually calculating their AC with buffs on, IE on and calculating their AB with IE off and full buffs. You would be surprised how often people inflate their numbers.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 19:06 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:

A lot of people will tell you they can get 60 AB and 60 AC easy! They are usually calculating their AC with buffs on, IE on and calculating their AB with IE off and full buffs. You would be surprised how often people inflate their numbers.

Sad, but true. I suppose what bothered me, if you can say I was bothered, was the fact that it was intended to "educate" another player of what you can achieve. In this case, I call bullshit, you can't do it without buffs, I just hope the player who read it realizes that.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 20:41 PM 

Player

A lot of these numbers are the potential of their builds assuming epic gear. So, assuming +5 AC gear, +5 Weapon and 12 STR from gear. Aswell as Aid and Bless for buffs, as they actually last a while and are easily available to everyone. A 10Fighter/19WM/1Rogue kinda build ending on 40 STR (28 + 12 from gear) is gonna have an AB of...

25 BAB + 1 Epic prowess + 3 Weapon focus feats + 4 WM levels + 5 Weapon enhancement + 15 STR mod + 2 buffs = 55AB. Max AB with a true strike potion would be 68 AB.

60 AC is achieveable in full plate with +5 AC equipment, 30 tumble, armor skin, haste and mage armor.

Hope the math sheds some light on the realistic high end side of things!

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 22:54 PM 

Player

Without using a lot of little, itty bitty, limited-use, short-term "toys" that give things like bless, aid, battletide, true strike, etc...

The typical, playable builds in the game give around 45-50 AB. (Meaning while having decent, respectable damage, AC.)

A few builds can go as high as self-maintaining upwards of 55 AB buffed (mostly bards, paladins, etc) and not give up other areas of playability).

Hitting and keeping 60 AB using only long-lasting, self-maintained means without giving up playability elsewhere is theoretically only possible with a tiny minority of builds (usually stuff like AAs).

Sure, you could build weirdo, specialized builds that hit 60 AB (or near it) making every choice you can to boost it (half orc/earth gen, epic weapon master levels, RDD, etc), but those inevitably end up lacking in AC, have mediocre damage, utility and other areas.

I've been playing NWN since release and spent about as much time on PVP as RP servers and have seen/played just about anything thought up at this point, so I'm pretty confident about that.

My advice is to build for versatility, rather than niches and specialties. I like having a large, deep toolbox rather than a very shiny knife. PvP literally means *nothing* here other than being slightly inconvenienced for 5 minutes. I'd rather be able to go anywhere, do anything and handle any situation that I stumble into than "Man, did you see muh damage nummmer? HAW HAW!"

Such characters tend to have longer interest (to me, as a player) than one-trick ponies I get bored with and only trot out to the arena for boasting.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 23:26 PM 

Player

Yeah, I never said I wanted to build that character, was more curious of a non-backed up claim of numbers as -easily- attained. I've played here a while, and have some pretty powerful characters (Tristen?), so I thought I knew what was attainable... and.. I did.

Thanks for the input folks!

treasured memories

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 23:30 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:

Don't forget bard/curse song and taunt! That's an effective +13 to ab I think? : )

Your average WM is gonna be sitting at 51-52 ab. And, in a lot of tense moments pre-pvp, I doubt a WM is gonna use a few potions and scrolls and wands. Takes way too long, and as soon as that first buff is thrown out, pvp is fair game. So in reality (assuming pvp that is), your WM isn't gonna hit much above 51. Least, that's been my experience. If you mean pvm, with bards and such? 60(effective) ab is fairly easy.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 0:20 AM 

Player

treasured memories wrote:
So in reality (assuming pvp that is), your WM isn't gonna hit much above 51. Least, that's been my experience.

Think you need more experience then.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

treasured memories

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 1:17 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
treasured memories wrote:
So in reality (assuming pvp that is), your WM isn't gonna hit much above 51. Least, that's been my experience.

Think you need more experience then.

bet you've heard that one a bit yourself. let the flame war begin.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]