View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 11:10 AM 

Player

Hi you guys,
I've been thinking about builds a bit, trying to build, and the maths I was doing stopped making sense at some point... So, I was looking at the Blackguard, and was kind of hoping to have some help with building one. (Little hint, I'm not just focussing on one build, so if it seems like I have too many feats, I might have because of just looking at the feats individually)

First off, any BG build I want should have Epic Fiendish Servant, be LE and not be a monk. Ideally, he is human (or Aasimar, for the sweet evil Aasimar RP, hehe) too.
I was wondering, is Divine Might actually that good, because it seems like getting 5-15 damage isn't really that worth it. On the other hand, any damage is good...
And also, what is a good amount of CHA to have? If I want the spells, I need 14 WIS, if I want IKD, I need 13 INT, and I want high STR and CON. So where to stop? I've been trying 17/8/9/14/14/16 on an Aasimar, but that doesn't seem great, considering getting Devastating Crit, high damage and AB is difficult, while only having 9 CON.
In theory, I wouldn't mind not having DevCrit, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea. I mean, if I have the STR to do so, why not? And anything lower, I'm not sure if that works.
I've been thinking about a BG/KC, but am having problems finding a class I should just put 9 levels in. Rogue seems like a nice choice, but that leaves me having problems with feats, fighter seems nice, but I have low reflex, and only cross-class tumble.
In general, I'd like to have him be able to tank some stuff, but am not sure how to achieve that without having his STR really low, and then I'm not sure how useful he'd be without any way to make him more useful... Probably just tower shield and hope he doesn't get hit through divine shield?
Taunt seems pretty nice, at least on paper, since I don't think many people have Concentration, so I can easily reduce their AC by up to six. On the other hand, it flat-foots me. so I'm not sure about it.

Well, I'd like it if you guys would give me some tips as to how to get it to work.
Hope you guys can help,
Robbi320

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 15:09 PM 

Player

Dev crit isn't too hot. I think you're better off just getting more strength for more AB and DMG. Also yes get divine might and shield.

Consider master scout for your last class, it gets some good toys, but mostly it gets a bonus to-hit when outside, tumble (which you need full prog in as a str man), frees up your belt slot, and a free feat at 1 and 5, which can be great strength. If you stick with 17 starting strength, and don't get dev crit, you could pick up 4 great strength feats you could be rocking a 57 or 58ish to hit before divine might. Which is absurd. Mix with taunt and hit DM and you just obliterate things or people.

You lose UMD to do this, but UMD is not needed. Everything UMD offers is available somewhere else. Fight/bg/ms.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 15:53 PM 

Player

And how much CHA and CON should I have in there? 9 CON would leave me at 415 hp if buffed on CON to max and Aasimar. Human is 430. Is that tolerable?

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:06 PM 

Player

you need more con.

but i also dont think the wisdom stuff is worth it; either go wisdom OR cha. and cha is just way way way better. so if i were you i'd swap wis and con. the only wis thing that's worth it is the +2 to stats, and that's really not worth like 5 stat points, and unholy sword.

Quote:
Corrupt Weapon
1 Blackguard level, 11 Wisdom
The caster corrupts a melee weapon to strike true against good opponents, granting a +1 enhancement bonus and 2d6 negative energy damage vs. good for Turns/Level.

Demon Flesh
1 Blackguard level, 11 Wisdom
The caster grows the thick, leather flesh of a demon, granting a +1 natural armor bonus to Armor Class for every four caster levels (at least +1, maximum +4) for Turns/Level.

Veil of Shadow
3 Blackguard level, 12 Wisdom
Swirling wisps of darkness obscure the caster's form, granting a 20% concealment bonus for Turns/Level.

Darkness
5 Blackguard level, 12 Wisdom
As per the default spell.

Deeper Darkness
6 Blackguard level, 13 Wisdom
As per Darkness, but with a duration of Turns/Blackguard level.

Abyssal Might
7 Blackguard level, 14 Wisdom
The caster summons evil energy from the Abyss and is imbued with its might. The caster gains a +2 bonus to Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity for Turns/Level.

Unholy Sword
8 Blackguard level, 14 Wisdom
This spell transforms the caster's melee weapon into a powerful Unholy Avenger, a specially blessed weapon that, when wielded by a Blackguard, acts as a +5 unholy weapon that dispels on hit for Rounds/Level.

either way, it's not worth it. just imo.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:07 PM 

Player

just remember abyssal might; you're going to be armor dex capped already due to the boots of the broken ones and one dex literally anywhere else, so it's only +2 str and +2 con.

which is 4 stat points

but you need 14 wisdom to get it

:?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:33 PM 

DM

Please don't go Aasimar BG. That is just awful lore wise.

Also I disagree about Dev Crit being not worth it but in this case if you want to split your cha/wis/str properly to get the best out of it disregarding Dev crit is definitely a smart choice. The 18 Cha 14 Wis Rest Str route gets you a pretty beefy character with all the toys. If you go dex route I would definitely say getting ED is a requirement.

Guardian

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:42 PM 

Player

If it's not forbidden it's allowed. I agree it's a pain and utter BS, and tried to convince people it to be made a rule that Aasimar with BG is no go, but it flies anyway. :roll:

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:50 PM 

DM

Certainly is allowed, and I never said it wasn't. I just asked them to please don't do it. They are different. :P

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:51 PM 

Player

Quote:
Evil aasimar, disappointed and embittered by how lesser beings treat them, are not completely unheard of.

Even with that? Also, isn't he still essentially mostly human? So why not?

Also, won't my AB be pretty bad if I go 18 CHA?

Guardian

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:51 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
Certainly is allowed, and I never said it wasn't. I just asked them to please don't do it. They are different. :P

I know. I was trying to say - Any chance to re-consider and make it a rule? Or by request only?

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 16:59 PM 

DM

Aasimar are actively projecting and being influenced by their celestial bloodline which is why lean towards Paladin and good aligned. While they are still mostly human they are are like a Dragon Disciple in how their bloodline influences their alignment and behavior (Not to the degree that full 10 DD would but you get the idea). An Evil Aasimar would need a REALLY REALLY good reason to be evil. If the evil is developed over time in game and through some corruption of some kind, that would definitely feel better to me. Just remember that an Evil Aasimar will never be able to connect further with its bloodline. No wings, no celestial powers, nothing.

We already have quite a few subraces restricted to request only but for now Aasimar will stay as a free pick. I just hope people see why going anything but good to start is silly.

18 CHA will hurt your AB a bit but if you are going at least 16 BG, maybe some fighter, then you will have almost max AB progression. You are still looking at 45+ ish AB which is a solid amount. Combine that with the fact you will be rocking +10 AC with Divine Shield and +10 Damage with Divine Might you will be a beast.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 17:06 PM 

Player

On the Aasimar thing, it just seems to me like everywhere I look emphasizes the possibility of evil Aasimar. *shrugs* Maybe I'll not go Aasimar then.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 17:49 PM 

Player

To be honest, reading through your post again gave me some nice ideas about something to do. Thanks!

Guardian

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 18:06 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
We already have quite a few subraces restricted to request only but for now Aasimar will stay as a free pick. I just hope people see why going anything but good to start is silly.

I was thinking Evil Aasimar = request only. Same as Good drow should by done by request only, I think, as we've had times... not that long ago when the population of goodly drows > population of normal drows.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

No_Dice_13

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 06 2016, 2:09 AM 

Player

If you want a fun BG build go drow 10fighter/16bg/2rog it is a lot of fun with dev crit and the epic fiendish servant. I had one way back when Ultrinnan was still alive, he was badass.

Ricket Ashgather - The Hin with Attitude

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]