View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:57 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Specifically, casters which have a focus on their casting; but technically relevant to all.

1. What's the level that's needed to avoid Greater Dispel? Subsequently, what's the level needed to avoid the Dispel effect of Mordenkaiden's Disjunction?

2. What's the minimum caster level for maximum damage with most relevant spells?

3. What are the highest level spells of each respective school that operate on a DC?

4. What spells bypass spell resistance, bar Earthquake and Epic Spells?

This is purely for personal 'on the record' reasons, if I ever help anyone with builds; because I actually don't know these things.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:17 AM 

Player

Without giving up too much... If you were to happen to run into a Sorcerer/Cleric IG, they may be willing to help you. I also recommend attending one of Commies lectures at the Delta Academy and asking a few questions when the forum opens. This would also demonstrate IC learning which is always special. :)

*Also, read the bottoms of the spell descriptions, it will tell you if SR/saves affect the spell.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 13:25 PM 

Player

No offense, but at least in my opinion these aren't things that are 'find out IG'. I mean, Spell Resistance as a thing, if you ask any of my characters, they'd say 'what the heck is SR?'. It's like saying you shouldn't know at what level Pallies get turn undead. And it's things where you technically just have to look through every single spell.

Now, #SoA,
1. I'm saying completely immune, where a 20 will not dispel you. lesser: 14 dispel: 19 greater: 24 Problem with Mord's is that a level 30 caster will be 1d20+30, and has to beat a DC of 12+CL. So even a level 30 buff will be dispelled if the caster rolls 12 or higher.

2. Don't know what the relevant spells are, but the NWNWikia is correct for most spells, and the few that aren't are listed in the changed feats or were changed very recently.

3. Abj: Mords (9) if you count that, otherwise banishment (7).
Conj: Greater Planar binding for stunning an outsider (8), otherwise acis fog (6).
Div: Feeblemind (5)
Ench: Dominaze Monster (9)
Evo: Meteor Swarm (9)
Illu: The terrible awesomeness called Weird (9)
Necro: Wail and Energy Drain (both 9)
Trans: Flesh to Stone (6)
I might be wrong with all of these, but I think these are the highest spells of each school that has a DC.

4. Actually want to find thi out too, but would be a pain in the rear to check every single spell description.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:29 AM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
No offense, but at least in my opinion these aren't things that are 'find out IG'. I mean, Spell Resistance as a thing, if you ask any of my characters, they'd say 'what the heck is SR?'. It's like saying you shouldn't know at what level Pallies get turn undead. And it's things where you technically just have to look through every single spell.

Now, #SoA,
1. I'm saying completely immune, where a 20 will not dispel you. lesser: 14 dispel: 19 greater: 24 Problem with Mord's is that a level 30 caster will be 1d20+30, and has to beat a DC of 12+CL. So even a level 30 buff will be dispelled if the caster rolls 12 or higher.

2. Don't know what the relevant spells are, but the NWNWikia is correct for most spells, and the few that aren't are listed in the changed feats or were changed very recently.

3. Abj: Mords (9) if you count that, otherwise banishment (7).
Conj: Greater Planar binding for stunning an outsider (8), otherwise acis fog (6).
Div: Feeblemind (5)
Ench: Dominaze Monster (9)
Evo: Meteor Swarm (9)
Illu: The terrible awesomeness called Weird (9)
Necro: Wail and Energy Drain (both 9)
Trans: Flesh to Stone (6)
I might be wrong with all of these, but I think these are the highest spells of each school that has a DC.

4. Actually want to find thi out too, but would be a pain in the rear to check every single spell description.

Well. On the flipside to that, if She were to ask a mage or cleric...even a monk as they train specifically for it, what SR is, what spells bypass it, ect, they may have had the answers. I will admit that reading spell descriptions can get fairly tedious, but (And I don't mean Stormy) I have run into numerous casters that oocly and Icly have no clue what they are doing. Not trying to be insulting, but fishing for ones in the abyss, when you could have slotted beneficial spells that a practiced, epic level caster should know is more than mildly frustrating. So perhaps reading the spell description and reading combat logs, like most of us have in order to hone the craft would be in order? Ever since they changed the party system so you could essentially leech off of others there has been an increase in ex.......whoops. Off the rails. But yeah. I just wanted Stormy to approach me, on any of my various caster characters and I would have been more than happy to help. My timezone is a sad place where friends are few and dream coins are the stuff of legend. So any RP outside of grinding people to 30 would be awesome.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:10 AM 

Player

That's right. Taste the desperation.

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:54 AM 

Player

I know the problem, considering I think we are in a similar tiemzone, though I don't know where exactly you are. Thought I had a nice group with the Chromatic Covenant, the omeone I really had wanted to play with asked me to do some stuff, and now he left, leaving me in a pretty sad an lonely spot.

I meant evn my casters would probably say, yeah, I cn dispel some people nd can't others, the stronger they are, the more dificult it is. And then some people just are resistant to magic. Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but my character ould never use the phrase 30 SR on this armor. In general, I usually don't use numbers much IC, because numbers alwaxs go back to levels and levels aren't as set in stone. To use the job system as an example, I don't think anyone can hve lerned so much that learning to cook at least a little bit is impossible. Even if you already gave up your 30 job system points. So I like to leave out anything that leads back to levels IC. Sometimes it makes the Wizard seem more like a sorceror, but I personally do it like that. All that means is that it probably wouldn't help to meet me IG, though maybe you could find a way to make that work. :)

Ps: Phone post, I don't feel like correcting the places my phone skipped letters, sorry.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 23:46 PM 

Developer

1: It's 24 for greater dispel, since the formula goes 1d20+CL(Max 15) vs 12+CL, so with a 36 CL, 20+15 will never beat it.
For mords, it caps at 20, but also has the breach effect.
2: Depends on the spell, especially with the new focus rules.
4: There's a few, but they're usually listed in the spell description. The only one that I believe was changed for Amia is Bigby's Forceful Hand (L6), which is a fort save vs knockdown for CL/6 rounds and 10d6 damage regardless of save. The other useful one I know of is evards.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:17 AM 

Player

If you are going to use Evards to any effect, multi-cast it. It's like SoV. They stack. I haven't tried Creeping Doom on Amia.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]