View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
That Guy

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 15 2016, 14:49 PM 

Player

Okay... I have never really had a solid idea of how high saves should be....

I do understand that FORT needs to be around 40ish for saving vsersus Devcrit.

But... REF? Is... 25 okay? 30? 35?

WILL? Most seem to have like 20, tops, but... what if you forgot your mindblank? 30? 35?

Would love to hear opinions and real numbers and why! It's a learning experience!

Thanks.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 15 2016, 23:45 PM 

Player

The average level 9 spell dc of a level 30 caster with epic focus in their spell school will be 39 or 40, so based on that you can figure what your saves need to he bases on what you expect to encounter, if you have improved evasiom, and if you can reasonably expect to have a mindblank or the like up.

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:42 AM 

Player

Fort, imo, needs to be base 37 (lowest you can roll and succeed is a 39), and there's really no compromising on that.

If I'm playing a character with spellcraft, I can afford to go lower, but only in reflex and will. My wizard is about 38/30/31 with stat buffs iirc, and I think his fort is close to if not at the +20 cap. He also is mostly in +4 gear, if I had about 4 pieces of epic gear to replace my 'lower number' gear, it would be even higher. Even if you dont plan on pvping though I'd still strongly recommend 37 fort and don't worry about the other two. Being 'only fail on a 1' vs basically every 'death' and dev-crit in the game is mandatory. Even if you don't want to pvp, just being able to not die to some random implosion or wail of the banshee or being able to constantly resist dev is invaluable.

Reflex and will are rarely rolled w/o a spellcraft bonus, so it's really only needed if you want to pvp as basically every build can get 30 or 15 or whatever spellcraft for easy saves and RP (being able to know wtf a spell is ic is really a good skill to have).

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:48 AM 

Player

Easy way to get your saves up;

1. Max con. This is harder for characters that require multiple ability scores, but for the most part characters can pump X and con. I like +10 con on gear, +10 in my main stat (unless it's a casting stat then it gets +12). This allows you to use an un-maximized stat spell (or quaff a potion) and be at the cap.

2. The +con +saves belt from the gauntlet. Freedom is over-rated when your saves are bonkers and you can buy freedom pots.

3. +3 fort gear, which you can mythal. If you don't need +int rings, buy a +3 fort ring from where-ever, and a gills ring from hilrash. Make them both +3 fort +2 con. Never take them off.

4. Doing just that is getting you +9 to fort, and 6 con, so that's +12 fort right there (and 90 HP!). After that just mythal +3 fort or +1/+2 con on rando gear until you get there, which shouldn't be too hard.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 07 2016, 16:50 PM 

Player

Commie's list is pretty good, here are some additional tips from an OG.

Max out your con like commie says, cross class into spell craft if you have ranks (better if you can take it as a class but whatever) and consider slapping on the +15 gloves from the djinn for another +3 universal vs magic. The rings of spell battle aren't bad if you can afford to use them. You'll need to have your FORT already up to acceptable parameters though since you can still get hit with dev crit and murder.

And another bit of advice. Spot is the only effective way to combat assassins now lol. Their widgets no longer apply spellcraft so they're much more fun to play and much more dangerous against people like wizards who stack +10 of their saves or more into spellcraft. So if you're worried about getting sneak-o-ganked then you want spot and you wanna have trueseeing up at most times in public.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]