View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Arkun

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 01 2017, 6:29 AM 

Player

Another Drow one! This time for a Drow Cleric. I saw a build up on the teach a man to fish thread, but I'm afraid my lack of knowledge in builds in general means I wouldn't know what feats and skills to pick at all if I were to give advice to someone looking to build a Drow Cleric.

Also, what would be better? A fighting cleric or a caster cleric? :D

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:46 AM 

Player

As far as I understand, even a caster cleric can do well enough in melee. Divine Power gets you AB, raises your str to 18 (which is a bit wonky, but it works, you have 8 base str, take off all your str equipment, cast it, put your equipment back on)

It depends a bit. Domains make a big difference, but I've always seen clerics a bit like wizards: they can be "spellswords", or full casters, and both manage their own.

But I'm terrible at building, so not sure.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 01 2017, 13:48 PM 

Player

Clerics do "Spellswords" so much better because they get some of the feats of a fighter and their spells center around +AB +AC and +Damage buffs.

Downside is it takes the whole day to buff them up.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Arkun

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 01 2017, 18:33 PM 

Player

So would it make sense to pick any fighter or just go pure Cleric in this regard?

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 18:07 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

I would suggest fashioning your cleric for RP. Meaning full cleric for a female Lolthite. Fighter cleric for a male Selvetarm.

While it sure seems neat to have a power build for everything, I think RP builds last longer and are more interesting. That said let me know if you need help leveling. I have low level drow for that purpose. :twisted:

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 18:55 PM 

Player

Or you can do 26 cleric 1 ranger 1 rogue and be a functionally identical cleric with miles more mechanical viability. That's still "building for RP."

Being an "RP build" doesn't mean you purposefully hurt your ability to play the game for no actual representation of roleplay, it just means you roleplay what your character is. With 26 levels of cleric, that means you're an epic cleric.

Ranger and Rogue just mean you're even better at surviving in the Underdark, which any long lived cleric of Lolth or Vhaeraun assuredly is.

26/1/1 will get you a caster cleric. "fighting" clerics are much harder on Drow because 4/5 fighter stings a lot more on a +2 ECL base, so honestly for a fighter styled cleric I'd recommend doing the same thing and just understanding you'll be going clericzilla when it comes to combat anyways.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 19:27 PM 

Developer

Since drow get +2 CHA, it's a good idea to make that work for a good divine might and divine shield. You can also decide to go for a caster cleric, with the free SR that you get. Either works.

If you want a melee cleric, here's what I'd do:

14/10/12/12(14)/15/14(16)

16/4 Cleric/Divine Champion Pre-epic
23/4/1 Cleric/Divine Champion/Rogue or Bard in Epic

Pre-epic(7+2DC): Weapon Focus, IMPR Crit, Blind Fight, Extend Spell, Power Attack, Divine Might, Divine Shield, Knockdown, IKD or Maximize Spell
Epic(3+1C): Epic Weapon Focus, Armor Skin, Epic Summon, Epic Prowess (or Epic Focus Spot)

You should end with the stats:

14/10/12/14/20/18

Which should provide you good numbers for a melee cleric.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 19:44 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

TormakSaber wrote:
Or you can do 26 cleric 1 ranger 1 rogue and be a functionally identical cleric with miles more mechanical viability. That's still "building for RP."
Agreed! Rogue definitely since what priestess doesn't like to backstab. I'd go Sorc or wizard instead of ranger but that's just a personal preference.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 19:48 PM 

Player

The ranger is for disc dump and the epic bonus feat (which can be an epic spell focus).

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 20:10 PM 

Player

Also Trackless Step, which let you RP not leaving behind tracks in the Underdark, like any good prowling spider.

RaveN

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 03 2017, 15:40 PM 

Administrative Developer

I made Miz'ri 28 Cleric levels in the end, if anyone was curious! I can recommend that build, because honestly, it doesn't get that much better with optimization anyways, since drow is pretty much the worst subrace in the game mechanically. :mrgreen:

Else, if you care/want the 3 AC and some non-crossclassed Discipline, you can do 26/1/1 as Tormak suggested.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]