View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
TheRogue

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:30 PM 

DM

Trying to do a spell caster; but which is better to build as wizard or sorcerer; I know a wizard can learn spells by reading scrolls and has more slots depending on the INT but sorcerer get more spells per day. Any suggestions?

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:31 PM 

Player

I believe Sorcerers are better. While Wizards are more versatile, I don't think a skilled Wizard (PC) can beat a skilled Sorcerer (PC). Sorcerer's have a lot more spells, and just need a bunch of Evocation spells to win. Unless the Wizard is a really good DC Wizard.

So,

Sorcerer.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

TheRogue

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:35 PM 

DM

But, Sorcerer don't get many slots for more spells; three at most for ninth and after hitting twenty its just swapping spells till you gain a feat.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:38 PM 

Player

3 Spell Slots, but a lot more Spells for each.

1 Mords, 1 Greater Spell Mantle, 1 Issac's Greater Mantle.

Spam.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Rigela

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:39 PM 

Player

But get a lot more uses of em, typically.

Sorcerers are easier to play (and gear) in my experience. But wizards have a lot more versatility and typically easier access to PnP spells for DM events and the like.

TheRogue

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:41 PM 

DM

Someone suggested Mores and Wail as a spam. I picked shape change for a spell but really its not useful unless I go into the fray. I mean even BBoD is decent despite the 120 seconds

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:47 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
I believe Sorcerers are better. While Wizards are more versatile, I don't think a skilled Wizard (PC) can beat a skilled Sorcerer (PC). Sorcerer's have a lot more spells, and just need a bunch of Evocation spells to win. Unless the Wizard is a really good DC Wizard.

So,

Sorcerer.

Sadly, there is a problem in your logic, which I find a bit sad. It was fixed in epics a bit with the Djinn, but Wizard items are much, much easier to get than sorceror items. Just based off mechanics, Wizards have more and less versatility in a sense. A Wizard can know every single spell in the game. A sorceror can cast every single spell he knows. That means that a Wizard will likely have an easier time at more content in the game with more summons, and a sorceror will likely be able to buff a bigger party. Casting spells, liek 1v1, it depends on them a bit. A wizard can buff and do damage spells easily, a sorceror will likely focus on one or the other. The sorceror could in theory just do dispel mode and outcast the wizard. And a sorceror always has all of his spells prepared. A wizard will want to sort through his spellbook like... once every rest, usually.

Then, a little warning, a wizard can only drain spells he gained from extra intelligence from unequipping items, since he actually assigns a spell to those spellslots. If you equip and unequip, repeat, you can lose all of the spell slots per day you gain from those charisma points. (It's a bit difficult to explain, but essentially having cha on a helmet is even worse than having int on one for a wizard)

A sorceror has two spells per day more than a wizard will have. On the other hand, wizard gets more feats. And more skills.

Personally, I tend towards wizards more, but that partly is because I rather like high int than high cha, because irl I'm terribly uncharismatic...

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 18:58 PM 

Player

the two would be more equal if wizard didn't also get 4 free bonus feats on his way to 20.

wizard is just better. want to spam 3 evocation spells only? memorize them. my wizard atm has 11 level 9 spell slots, and he isn't even geared

how much more do you need?

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 0:22 AM 

Player

Blowing your spellslots by hucking DC-based spells at epic monsters is a waste of spellslots on this server. Leveled content at 30 just laughs off your DC (it's almost all high 30s to mid 40 saves, really). This is where the wizard shines. A wizard who can buff his entire party is far, far more useful than a sorcerer who knows some damage spells and can spam them (it will take about a third of those spells to kill one yeti pack, realistically).

To me, having every spell (esp buffs) and being able to cover your party in weapon enhancements, imp invis, elemental defenses, mass hastes, etc all the while saving DCs to expand your spellbook with things like walls of ice/stone and the like outweighs being a futile IGMS turret imo.

Playing like Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards is the most satisfying way for me:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xjP ... znMw4/edit

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 0:34 AM 

Player

To be fair, a sorc can buff a whole party, too. I don't think I ever have issues with buffing on mine both when leveling and now at 30.

But yeah, wizards all the way lol

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:07 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
To be fair, a sorc can buff a whole party, too. I don't think I ever have issues with buffing on mine both when leveling and now at 30.

But yeah, wizards all the way lol

some of my spell levels i have 4 different buffs there and then also a nuke or two

you -can't- do that as a sorc.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:23 AM 

Player

I'm well aware, I have played a sorc like I said. But I have still never had issues buffing people. They were always happy with mine in the party. You can't get everything, obviously, but you have enough to let your party murderate everything.

But like I also said, wizards are far better.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:57 AM 

Player

Sorceror needs something along the lines of a free spell school focus at 1-11-21 and about twice as many spell slots as it currently gets before it will even be remotely comparable to wizard outside specific niches like 1v1 spellcasting duels, imho.

In PnP I'd play a sorceror all day every day, but the limited scope of NWN means it's much harder to just play a "gimmick caster". In PnP you can just play a one trick gimmick enchanter sorceror and be just fine. In NWN you need everything ready to go, and unfortunately that means wizard.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]