View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
NAUX

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 10:56 AM 

Player

So here's a concept, which I probably will never play but I wanted to explore anyway because I like trying to make use of broken or useless feats.

Character A is a WM and carries something big and hard hitting, such as a Scythe. He charges in to a pack of mobs and performs an Improved Whirlwind attack (that no longer has a high dex requirement), but not before enabling his secret weapon... Dirty Fighting. With huge AB, his whirlwind attack hits every target in 10 feet and applies an extra 1d4 damage to each target. With Overwhelming and Devastating Critical he gains and extra d6 damage to all enemies hit as well as knocking down any target affected by a Critical hit. To add to the formula, the weapon is enchanted with an "On hit" effect that has a chance to apply additional effects to all hit in the radius, has keen and massive critical bonuses.

3 levels of blackguard could be taken to allow for the use of poisons and Aura of Despair. This would allow each target in the 10 feet radius to be effected by the strongest poisons and take a -2 to saves against all of the incoming effects.

The idea is to inflict as much damage as possible in a round to as many targets as possible, and apply as many debuffs to each target as possible in that round. Taking some of the ideas above in to account, how would one achieve that build wise, are there more effects that could be added in to the formula and would it even be a viable strategy?

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

Akhlys

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 13:43 PM 

Player

Sounds like you want to play an evoker.

NAUX

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 13:47 PM 

Player

Haha, very true, but not quite the concept I'm after :D

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 15:01 PM 

Developer

I'd imagine that for the purposes of soloing swathes of enemies the Improved Whirlwind qualifies above decent!

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Akhlys

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 15:22 PM 

Player

If you really want to do something like this then what you should go is a rdd build getting strength as high as possible to get a dc of 43 to 45 on the dev crit. Dirty fighting isn't worth it. You are much better off using improved power attack. If you know of a means to get a divine mythal or if you are willing to dc request one, you can put slow or stun on hit on your weapon.
If you insist on a two handed weapon, great sword is going to do you better than any of the other weapons. Big crits may look good, but higher base damage and more consistent crits are going to lead to higher damage over all. Keep in mind critting something for 300 damage leads to situations where you do way more damage than the target has health left, which means your criticals will often go to waste. Burst is good in pvp because it can drop someone out instantly, but not so much in pve where sustainability is best.

NAUX

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 15:33 PM 

Player

I figured that by having higher burst through larger crits, it would equate to less time spent performing whirlwinds, and once you get to the point where whirlwinds were no longer efficient, you would just go in to your normal round rotation and finish them off. Dirty fighting was taken because its an extra d4 of damage that is not going to reduce your AB, and since you are performing 1 attack a round, you dont lose anything by enabling it. Sure you could take Improved Power Attack for the extra 10 damage, but you'll also be swinging at 10 less AB, which reduces the effectiveness of your whirlwind swing. The same applies to standard power attack, but at that point, you the damage difference between dirty fighting and power attack is negligible for the loss of 5 AB.

Maybe something like this if it supports enough feats to get Dev Crit?

bard 8
rdd 15
wm 7

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04 2017, 4:58 AM 

Player

Mob AC on Amia is low enough to where most builds can comfortably run power attack with no loss in actual hitting ratio, making Dirty Fighting completely useless.

I think your main issue with this build is that it's just a lot less stress on your HP to kill 6 things one at a time, reducing their attack output as a group, vs killing 6 things slowly and simultaneously, since a monster hits you just as hard at 2 HP as it does at 350.

Props for the Imp WWA though. Always a feat I wanted to mess with, but it just doesn't really fit in any build that might think it'd a fun gimmick to have.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 09 2017, 16:28 PM 

Player

Poisons are very disappointing. With most creatures fort saves being the way they are, a one time application with low dc poisons has always been a waste of time for me. Of course, maybe there are poisons I haven't seen. I like the concept and would probably use a weapon with on hit blind.
RDD is not needed. A simple STR based WM with it's astronomical AB is more than enough for whirlwind spamming. On hit stun or blind will leave you able to generate sneaks, as you will most likely have some rogue in the build.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10 2017, 8:47 AM 

Player

You can't sneak attack on a WWA so hats probably moot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]