View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 7:38 AM 

Player

Yo,

So I'm playing a halfling sorcerer and I have a few questions because I don't know anything about this ruleset :D

1. I'm going for Epic Spell Focus Evocation, is that the right thing to do if you just want a living, breathing tactical nuke?

2. because I made some errors in the beginning I will only have space for 2 Epic Spells, I'm aiming for Mummy Dust and Epic Mage Armor
- 2.1 Is Mage Armor even worth it?
- 2.2 Would Greater Ruin (or however its called) be the better choice?
- 2.3 I could potentially switch out Dodge für Improved Expertise, and that should open up another Epic Feat for me, should I take Greater ruin there? Or better get something like Epic Will?
- 2.4 I'm only considering Mummy Dust because from all I've read it seems to be a no-brainer, is it really that good?

3. Do Save DC's even matter? From all I've been reading, atleast when it comes to PvP, people have such insane Saves that I basically can't use anything that grants a Ref Save against a Monk/Rogue/etc. for example

Thanks in advance people!

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 7:45 AM 

Player

1. epic evocation is great, lots of sources of saveless damage. incin cloud and wall of fire are both good, so is chain lightning.

2.1 epic mage armor is mandatory on a caster, its just required.
2.2 ruin is better then hellball but i'd get mummy dust over either if you can't afford 3 epic spells
2.3 imp expertise is garbage and also drop dodge. its even worse on a caster. drop it and make your epic spells mummy dust, mage armor, ruin.
2.4 mummy dust lets you clear content. buff it and go. use your dmg spells if it gets in trouble. if you don't do this you literally can't clear end-game content and I think you will have huge trouble leveling past 21 w/o it.

3. Yes and no. Lots of jabroni's don't stack saves, and the ones that do generally have a weakness you can exploit after getting their build va their HP. Even if they do have good saves, you have saveless damage. time stop, set up some wall of fires or incin cloud, time stop again, more damage on the ground, then bigsby them with whatever hand you think will work best vs them, GG!

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 8:03 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
exploit after getting their build va their HP

Wait, so are you metagaming builds for PvP? Because that suggestion is literally the epitome of metagaming. You do not have health bars IC, and you are basing IC descisions on that...

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:26 AM 

Player

1: Spell focuses are nice but really don't make a significant difference, but evocation at least gets Great Thunderclap which is a really nice AoE stun so make sure to use it liberally if you think you're fighting someone who isn't capped on saves. Good to have and the extra blasting spell damage is really nice but spell most of your damage is saveless so these are just cool toys.

2:
Your epic spells are okay. EMA isn't really a pvp spell since arcane casters should never be in melee but the durability it grants is nice and EMD is pretty good if your character can use undead with impunity because if the fighter chases you he will probably trigger the sentinel's blindness aura eventually.

GR/Hellball are great tactical nukes to use when you know your opponent can't kite you or mitigate out of your damage. Your best bet is to be hasted, then cast hellball, then cast a single target high damage spell and hit them with GR and most people will not survive without chugging heal in between epic spells hitting them. All of these epic spells are good for PvE by the way. Dragon Knight is almost exclusively pvp only because monsters will kill it painfully quick.

Dodge and Expertise are both useless to you. Don't take either of them. You can generally reliably gear to +10 base saves and +10 saves from spellcraft as a wizard to get to the +20 cap and that puts most wizards at 38 will vs magic so don't bother taking epic will. Consider epic fortitude instead of you have that type of room.

3: It depends. Are you fighting melee or another mage? If the answer is melee? Always. Hit. Will. Fear, Dominate, Great Thunderclap. Whatever you've got will work because most fighters rarely even have 20 will. If you're fighting othe casters? Hell no, saves mean nothing. You want to do things like 1 fishing, controlling terrain, timestop spamming AoE's, and using summons to keep them off balance and unable to cast so that you can deal damage to them. Fighting a caster tends to be a race to see who can cast timestop/haste first and from there it turn into the crowd control fest Commie mentioned above. Frankly conjuration has so many great AoE's that it makes me generally wish my RP allowed for Gerald to go conjuration. You get grease, cloud, the wall spells, a decent duration dragon knight that won't fizzle out in long fights and a few other really nice toys but a lot of the thing that I'm mentioning don't need the spell focuses to be good. I use them on Gerald right now a lot and they do just fine.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:56 AM 

Player

Wow, great advice People!

Now about Expertise: Should I just not take expertise at all?! I thought that was mandatory if you get improved combat casting?!

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
Dodge and Expertise are both useless to you. Don't take either of them. You can generally reliably gear to +10 base saves and +10 saves from spellcraft as a wizard to get to the +20 cap and that puts most wizards at 38 will vs magic so don't bother taking epic will. Consider epic fortitude instead of you have that type of room.

Wizard :lol:

That Guy

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 14:32 PM 

Player

Sorcerer and Wizard both have little need of expertise, unless you are going for a spellblade build, then... maybe, but still, not really.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 17:22 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Commie wrote:
exploit after getting their build va their HP

Wait, so are you metagaming builds for PvP? Because that suggestion is literally the epitome of metagaming. You do not have health bars IC, and you are basing IC descisions on that...

if you look at someones HP and can do math you know their build. HP per level is a set value, and con increments it in 30's. It's not too hard.

are they in armor? peg them as a fighter. a robe? caster. buffs tell you what kind of caster. its not metagaming any more then going 'hey he cast 'spell resistance' i bet he has an ass reflex save.'

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 23 2017, 17:27 PM 

Player

Well, your character doesn't know you have exactly 312, or whatever hp. Using that IC is metagaming. Basing a descision off that is metagaming as well. Otherwise I could say 'Oh, you are very sturdy. I bet you are a paladin' IC. Using hp to decode what to do IC is metagaming.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 24 2017, 2:07 AM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
Wow, great advice People!

Now about Expertise: Should I just not take expertise at all?! I thought that was mandatory if you get improved combat casting?!

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:

Wizard :lol:

You can do it on a sorcerer too!

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]