View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 19:15 PM 

Player

So... I wanted to make an Tiefling Assassin, should work out right, right? I mean +2 Dex; +2 Int sounds like heaven.

... But I think I see why I've seen one or two people complain about this, I can't for the live of me figure out how to get Epic Dodge on this character with the +1 ECL...

I literally sat here for like 2 hours just going over the possibilitys and.... I got absolutely nothing.

Can anyone give me a nudge into the right direction?

(Also, I think I misunderstood something, but I could've sworn that Assassins don't need to be Evil on Amia anymore is that true? Wanted to go for Chaotic Neutral or even Good)

Raua

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 19:18 PM 

Player

Assassins need to be evil! :)

I'd be happy to Shoot you a few Build Ideas, or direct you to this forum where you can find pretty much whatever you need.

Getting ED on a +1 ECL is pretty easy, you just need to plan out your build carefully.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 20:21 PM 

Player

Thanks man, but damn... That evil requirement might be a gamebreaker for me, I'm shit at playing Evil characters :(

I'll look into it and see what I can do! Thanks again for the help!

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 20:22 PM 

Player

I know someone who can help....

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 20:39 PM 

Player

Roach offering help feels like someone going up to you like "Hey, Bro, wanna buy some cocaine?!" :D

I'm scared of the depth of that rabbithole

Raua

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 20:41 PM 

Player

If you can't find anything you like, PM me, and I can toss a couple detailed builds at you! :)

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 20:43 PM 

Player

Will do!

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 20:44 PM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
Roach offering help feels like someone going up to you like "Hey, Bro, wanna buy some cocaine?!" :D

I'm scared of the depth of that rabbithole

Thanks, that's the nicest thing anyone's said about her in a while.

LordAzack

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 22:06 PM 

Player

So uh.. Hey Roach... Can you hook a bitch up?

Tarnus

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 20 2017, 22:52 PM 

Player

There's a couple ways to do it, mind I didn't play around with optimizing it much so for 18 Assassin variants, this is just the shoddy "that would end you with epic dodge" approach.

9 monk, 18 assassin, 2 something else or more monk
rogue, bard or ranger 5, 18 assassin, 6 shadowdancer

You're more flexible with lower levels of assassin, the main important bit is that you forget the idea of getting both defensive roll and imp evasion on the assassin bonus feats, at least one has to come from another class, if you want to do that on a tiefling.

Also moved this to the appropriate forum <.<

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 0:14 AM 

Player

Thanks Tarnus, kinda screwed up with the posting, sorry :/

And yes, thats what I thought, too getting both from Assassin just doesnt work, thats basically why I was stuck.

Also:
LordAzack wrote:
So uh.. Hey Roach... Can you hook a bitch up?

. . . Bruh.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 3:22 AM 

Player

So I thought a bit and I'm actually thinking about instead of Assassin going for mainly Rogue or Shadowdancer... Problem is, that wouldn't fit the character as well... But to be honest, the more I think about the character, the more flawed it seem to me :/

I'm gonna work a bit on the Character Background and, should I decide for the Assassin route afterall I'll probably hit up That Guy for my fix of Evil

True Evil.

That Guy

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 4:55 AM 

Player

That Guy reveals the true identity of Roach as a Paladin of Torm!

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 11:51 AM 

Developer

Funny thing, I came up with a drow assassin build not long ago. It could easily adapt to a tiefling.

10/19 monk/assassin

Stats: 9/19/12/16/14/6

President epic (8): Twf, ambidextrous, finesse, focus, IMPR Crit, Blind Fight, itwf, Toughness or Expertise
Epic (3+2A): EWF, Armor skin, defensive roll, Epic dodge, ESF: hide

You could take a Ranger level in epic for the extra feat and +4 hide in the wilderness, but I think for this build its better to keep your assassin DC high.

That Guy

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 13:38 PM 

Player

The1Kobra wrote:
Funny thing, I came up with a drow assassin build not long ago. It could easily adapt to a tiefling.

10/19 monk/assassin

Stats: 9/19/12/16/14/6

President epic (8): Twf, ambidextrous, finesse, focus, IMPR Crit, Blind Fight, itwf, Toughness or Expertise
Epic (3+2A): EWF, Armor skin, defensive roll, Epic dodge, ESF: hide

You could take a Ranger level in epic for the extra feat and +4 hide in the wilderness, but I think for this build its better to keep your assassin DC high.

Kobra knows assassins... trust him! My 2 cents: Expertise. 5 AC never hurts.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 17:30 PM 

Player

It's not necessary on an epic dodge build.

That Guy

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 17:47 PM 

Player

Everyone has an opinion. I have improved expertise on one and find it very useful at times.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 19:37 PM 

Player

I think I'm with That Guy on that. 5 AC is 5 AC.

Opinions are also Opinions, though :)

Also: Tanks Kobra for the Build, but I won't go for Monk because Lawful. I don't really feel Lawful, thats one of the reasons I never play paladins.

Budly

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 19:50 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
I know someone who can help....

I got a evil Drow Elf Rogue/Assassin/Blackguard...lets all be helping. I don't know what im doing.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 21 2017, 23:45 PM 

Developer

Having expertise and epic dodge on an assassin is quite handy, actually. There's a few reasons for this. Mostly, if you pop expertise (or improved), you'll likely be at a stage where you and your opponent will only hit on 20s. For an assassin, this works out in your favor because every 60 seconds, a hit you do can force a save or die (or bad stuff) on your opponent, which will essentially win the fight for you. In this way, your assassin can win a contest of endurance.

Toughness however, is good for fighting mages. Assassins only get d6 HP, and a lot of stuff casters can throw at you does damage with no way to resist it, so it'll make you a bit bulkier in that manner. It's also handy for PvE, it means you can survive more.

Now, for making a tiefling assassin without monk...

That's a tricky one. A lot of the best assassin builds work best with 30 levels, especially since if you want epic dodge, you need to get 5 SD, 10 Rogue, or 9 monk. You also want at least 18 assassin levels for a good assassin. Youll also want the fourth attack.

The alternative would be making an INT focused assassin. Those builds take a lot of skill to play, but can be pretty nasty. You can't really straight up fight with them, so you have to rely on being tricky, ambushing, and going for quick kills. Since it doesn't have the epic dodge requirements it's a bit easier to manage a build for it on a tiefling.

So! Here's what I've got for options:

DEX builds:

6/5/18 Ranger/SD/Assassin - Okay, it physically hurts to miss HIPS by one level, but this will get you 4 attacks, all the assassin tricks, and epic dodge.

5/6/18 Ranger/SD/Assassin - Now this gets HIPS, which does help a lot, but you skip on the fourth attack, which is going to hurt when making surprise attacks since you'll only get 1 attack in the first flurry.

INT builds:

5/6/18 Ranger/SD/Assassin - HIPS, focus in a bow. Get rapid shot for the second attack in the first flurry. Pop out of stealth to shoot your targets then pop back into stealth to get out. You can do some effective damage if you can get your sneak attacks off. Just try to avoid getting 'jammed', and be sure to stealth and get some distance if that happens. You don't have tankability on this build, but you can get far if you make the most of the tricks up your sleeve.
I've given a similar build (to one who went 6/6/18 though, not having the ECL) elsewhere and it's worked out pretty well. It's a solid one for an INT high DC build.

8/2/19 Fighter/Ranger/Assassin - With the excess of bonus feats here, you can make for a good combined melee/archer assassin. Try to rely on shooting your foes dead with your high DC death attacks, but you can also pop IE when you get into melee and get into a round of 20s. It does get 4 attacks, but it's probably going to be one of the more tricky builds to play with. It's not going to be nearly as tanky as a dex epic dodge build though so you will need to be careful still.

If you'd like me to expand one of the above builds, please let me know. Those are the best I can come up with at the moment, given tiefling's limitations. (And your desire for a non-lawful character)

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 22 2017, 1:05 AM 

Player

The first INT one sounds awesome even though I didn't even think about going ranged... I'll keep that in mind...

The DEX ones.... Jesus christ it Physically hurts to see both of those so close to perfection, yet so far :( I THINK I'd take HiPS over the surprise round because of... well... Whats a damned SD without HiPS?

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 22 2017, 10:32 AM 

Developer

Rightyo then, I still wish I could go 6/6/18 or 5/7/18... but tiefer...

5/9/6 - Pre Epic Level Spread
5/18/6 - Epic Level Spread
Okay, here goes:

10/18/12/18/12/6 (Alternatively, 8/18/14/18/12/6, more HP/fort, less damage and carry capacity)

Pre-epic(8): Finesse, Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus Longbow, Blind Fight, IMPR Crit Longbow
Epic(3+2A): G-Int 1, EWF Longbow, ESF Hide(Assassin Bonus), ESF Spot, ESF Move Silently(Assassin Bonus)

Ending Stats: 10/18/12/26/12/6

Assassin Trick DC: 42

You'll have a lot of skill points with this build. Be sure to invest in set trap because it's a very useful skill to have! And of course max out your spot, hide, and move silently. Crossclass spellcraft as well, since even with full crossclass ranks, you'll get a 30 spellcraft which gives you +6 on your saves vs spells, and assassins have trouble fitting in saves into their gear along with everything else.

Prioritize DEX, INT, hide, ms, and spot in your gearset. You don't want to be fight straight up battles with this character. Use all the tricks of the trade and pop off enemies sneaky-style one by one.

I'd also pick longbow over shortbow. There's a longbow with +8 Hide/ms and +10 spot, so that one provides a nice synnergy with this character's stealth focus.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]