View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 25 2017, 12:22 PM 

Player

Hi all,

I am looking at a DwD with 21 Con for epic reduction. I am trying to utilize my sparse skills.

I have Discipline and heal maxed out, and tumble at 30 in the plan. I picked up a point of open lock and a point of disable device.

I have 41 points left to split between Concentration, UMD, a search/spot/listen, or (and thematically I like this one), taunt.

My question is: how much UMD do I need? I have a -2 to Cha Mod, so it will be an investment of 7, 12, 17, 22, 27, or 32.

Also, do I need Concentration, and to what degree?

Would something like 22 (20) points of Taunt work for anything?

Also, I can pick up resist energy in all 5 elements, or I can pick up Expertise, Imp Expertise, and up my saving throws, or a combination, any recommendations? (5 feats)

Thanks!

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 25 2017, 12:50 PM 

Player

17 (15) UMD is the minimum I'd go with, as that allows you to use all wands and scrolls, any more after thst is just a bonus on powerful weapons.

When it comes to taunt and concentration; I'd say only take them for thematic charracter purposes, concentration for a non-caster is only in place to resist taunts.. which you will hardly ever see used with the skill >.> the same.

Also, if you can, plop some spellcraft in there! It'll boost your saves versus spells a little bit (works like UMD, multiples of 5, with your Intelligence mod taken into account)

For the feats: I'd say do Improved expertise and better saving throws over the elemental resistances. It makes you a bit more of a tank, which It seems like what you're going for. That and there are sooooo many items that give elemental resistances, that it feels like a waste to spend feats on it. But again, if you like the thematic elements of resisting all elements, go for it, it sounds pretty neat to me!

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 25 2017, 14:41 PM 

Player

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms a lot of what I thought about the build. I had originally wanted to be an elemental resisting tank, but I am going for a very "dwarfy" character concept, so beefing up saving throws sounds more akin to what I am aiming for character-wise. I agree on IE. Even though my ab will not be spectacularly high, it should be high enough to hit on the top few attacks with IE on in PvE. Also, the concept is to be a frontline for other more DPS-focused characters to shine. I might pick one element to resist that fits, like cold.

thetangerinetornado

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 25 2017, 15:40 PM 

Player

I’m running a DwD with all 5 Resists. I would not change it to take improved expertise. As long as you have enough AC to hit tumbletank levels you don’t really need it. Your AB doesn’t need the hit either. My guy put everything else into STR and his AB is just decent enough. Knocking 5 or 10 points off that and your Damage output will suffer. The resist path is very thematic as well.

Cyan

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 25 2017, 17:40 PM 

Player

just throwing it out there, i use taunt on mobs with my paladin and like having it. it's definitely not a skill to plan a build around, but i find it handy. it could be used to counter the AB hit if you choose the imp expertise route.

KnightOfKelemvor

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 26 2017, 14:59 PM 

Player

I find taunt really useful on my EDR barbarion/KC maxed it out and it helps a lot in between rages when my ab drops down. Hade a bit more skillpoints though as a human with 14 int.

Ulfhild

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 26 2017, 16:40 PM 

Player

Well, taunt has its ups and downs. Against a spellcaster (who you're less likely to hit, because they are more likely to take concentration) it's 30% ASF, which is awesome. Against others, it's usually, if you have enough of it, a -6 AC for the opponent, for 5 rounds. Which means you are quite a bit more likely to hit them. Which poses quite a huge benefit. The downside is that you're attacking a bit less, and are flatfooted for a bit less than a round.

Still, all it means is that you shouldn't use taunt while tanking a huge group of enemies. In 1v1 (or many leveling situations), the -6 AC is a huge deal. In most cases, IMO, it's definetely worth getting if you can, as long as you don't give up anything major for it. You just need to remember to use it.

(Also, doesn't it seem weird that rogues, who would seem like the people who use dirty tricks, like taunting the enemy, don't have taunt, but Paladins of all people do?)

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 22:14 PM 

Player

Yes, it seems very weird. So weird that I thought my build with rogue in it would have taunt, which it does not.

On the Imp Expertise question, I have waffled back. I have expertise and I have Imp Wisdom feat, but now I think I want to get resist energies. I am going to pick up 2 of them, but here's my question: Should I get imp expertise? Will I use it?

I do use expertise, it is handy, but I definitely notice how my bottom end attack fails to hit anything. With a -10, will I lose everything but my top attack on average? Is this worth it, say, versus being -/5 to an element?

Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]