View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:44 AM 

Player

So I'm thinking of a monk/rogue/SD hybrid.
Basic concept is she jumps out of nowhere and pounds the unwary mark to death with a swift barrage of blows.

What sort of proportions of levels / feat structure do you guys recommend?

Man, this account is over 10 years old. Where do I get my old man beard?

Carvelan

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:17 AM 

Player

Here is a similar build I ran before. Pretty effective and I think you can strict out swap assassin for rogue if you like
Race: Elf (Or chultan)

STR: 10
DEX: 19
CON: 10 (12 if Chultan)
INT: 14
WIS: 13
CHA: 8 (6 if Chultan)

Level Spread: 21 Monk/6 Shadow Dancer/ 3 Assassin
Pre Epic Level Spread 16 Monk/ 4 Shadow Dancer

Feat Spread

1: Dodge (And Toughness if Chultan)
3: Weapon Finesse
6: Weapon Focus: Unarmed
9: Mobility
12: Blind Fight
15: Improved Critical: Unarmed
18: Great Fortitude

21: Epic Weapon Focus: Unarmed
24: Epic Fortitude
27: Epic Dodge
30: Epic Skill Focus: Discipline

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:15 AM 

Player

I feel like going for more rogue might be good as well. The 'standard' Monk dexer I always think of 6/6/18, but that's with Assassin, which gets feats differently. In general, unless you're going for fists, you're usually not going to want to go for high Monk. 6 Monk would mean you can get your WIS AC to 6, which even out not having a shield, gets you KD, and the rest of Monk stuff you're usually not going to want. Maybe ImpEvasion, but rogue bonus feats, you'll really only need ImpEvasion, Evasive Roll and Crippling Strike. The other three are really niche, and probably don't do too much for you. Now, if you were to go 9 Monk, 6 SD, 15 rogue, you'd have three bonus feats, two for Crippling Strike and Epic Dodge, and one left (which you could use for Epic Skill Focus Hide, for example). You'd also have 8d6 sneak attack, which means you'll actually deal some damage, instead of slapping with a wet noodle. That said, you'd probably want to go 8/4/8 or 4/4/12 in pre-epic, to maximise AB. That said, it'll have a decent powerspike at higher levels, and probably won't be too safe to solo around level 20 with... That said, you'll have some pretty nice AC, dual kamas, HiPS and a 30% speed increase, which should be decent to kill most enemies or players. It wouldn't necessarily be quick though...

It's probably a bit stronger with Assassin, but rogue should be decent enough at mimicking it though.

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 15 2017, 22:30 PM 

Player

I'd desire evil alignment and drow... So would that build work with only 11 rogue?

That said I want HiPS =(

I was thinking high monk with strong rogue and just enough SD...

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16 2017, 2:15 AM 

Player

If you want high monk, HiPS, and Epic Dodge (and you do want epic dodge), as a Drow, you will end up with a Monk 12, Rogue 10, SD 6, for a total of 28 levels (being that you are an ECL 2).

You don't need diamond soul, as you will have your own Spell Resistance (and I am not sure if diamond soul will bug your racial SR). However, level 12 offers you a bump in speed for 40%. I would absolutlely recommend looking at your monk/rogue levels as groups of 3. You either want a 12/10 split, a 9/13, or a 6/16 (or if you are really wanting heavy rogue, a 3/19, but this loses you Imp KD).

The advantages are:
12/10: 140% speed, Imp KD, +2 AC, d12 fists, 5d6 sneak attack, poison immunity, +2 will vs spells, disease immunity
9/13: 130% speed, Imp KD, +1 AC, d10 fists, 7d6 sneak attack, 1 bonus rogue feat, +2 will vs spells, disease immunity
6/16: 120% speed, Imp KD, +1 AC, d8 fists, 8d6 sneak attack, 1 bonus rogue feat, +2 will vs spells, disease immunity
3/19: 110% speed, d6 fists, 10d6 sneak attack, 2 bonus rogue feats

This, to me, screams taking either the 12/10 or the 9/13. I'd probably end up taking the 9/13 so that I could take crippling strike.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:33 AM 

Player

Thanks!

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 17 2017, 1:26 AM 

Player

I goofed and forgot that 6 SD gives you defensive roll, so the high monk builds can still get epic dodge

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]