View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Mrlala

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 19:12 PM 

Player

Best sir, madam, person and apache builders,

I've gotten a stupid build in my head once again and I've been wondering if this build could hold it in PvE (nvr liked PvP). It's a shifter build that makes no sense so I'm hoping I could get some tips and tricks from the general building population.

The build I want to try is.. A barbarian shamanic shifter themed around the rakshasa outsider shape. A real mage killer build if it's possible.
I've been thinking of making it 5 druid-10 shifter-15 barbarian. It will have maxed taunt and intimidate for fear aura.
The focus here is to strengthen its AB so it might be viable in PvE and not get destroyed by spells since it has lvl8 immunity for spells. It also has uncanny dodge!

Else I was wondering 5druid-10shifter-15Blackguard. This would give me charisma + saves, sneak attack, a summon, divinie might/shield. Though the charisma wouldn't be the highest it would still give alot of extra feats but may get feat dependent.

So... With this I'm wondering.. Is this a pipe dream like a hin saying he will/can support a family or a viable route to attain godhood and be as cool as a skeleton with a top hat and monocle drinking the mead he stole from the dwarven vault while sitting atop a kneeling ogre that has a severe case of prepubescent acne and humming the ride of the valkyries of David Wagner?
.. It might be hard to lvl but I'm confident in my ability to annoy others to level me.

Waiting for your reaction.
Best regards,
MrLala

Suhjet

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 21:45 PM 

Player

Cool concept. Your AC won't be great.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

Mrlala

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 5:23 AM 

Player

Ah.. What are ways to increase the AC on a shifter then? I could also take 15monk instead of barbarian, it'll suit well with the anti-magic idea and the quarterstaff the rakshasha has.
Else 15 CoT for some extra damage, saves and feats are always nice:)

I'm pondering alot hence the reason why I posted this. Are there ways to increase the ac on a shifter build?

Suhjet

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 7:49 AM 

Player

I believe the team decided monk shifters were prohibited due to being hilariously overpowered.

Rakshasa also uses a magic staff, not a quarterstaff, so they wouldn't benefit from monk attack progression.

Shifters in their shifted forms gain most of their AC from actual shifter CL.

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 8:00 AM 

Player

Monk shifters are allowed, some stuff just is disabled when polymorphed/shifted, I believe. Everything else works. And yeah, rakshasa, sadly, uses a magic staff. Would be awesome to make a qstaff focused rakshasa shifter.

http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&p=934688#p934688 wrote:
Monk AC Bonus
The AC bonus is capped to Monk level (e.g. a level 3 Monk would only receive a maximum of +3 AC from their Monk AC Bonus, no matter how high their Wisdom modifier is).

Additionally, this feat is not given until level 3 Monk, and will not function while polymorphed.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 17:32 PM 

Player

Mrlala wrote:
Else I was wondering 5druid-10shifter-15Blackguard. This would give me charisma + saves, sneak attack, a summon, divinie might/shield. Though the charisma wouldn't be the highest it would still give alot of extra feats but may get feat dependent.

That won't work, you can only take epic fiendish servant with the bonus feat from BG 16 or BG 19

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 18:02 PM 

Player

The Barbarian version would be really interesting with a Risen Lord specced build. You'd have enough natural AB through barbarian plus all the natural tankiness of the form.

I also personally reccomend 5/19 shifter/6SD. A great amount of fun (It's what I personally run). The one drawback is only 3 attacks a round.

Mrlala

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 18:25 PM 

Player

TheCortroy wrote:
The Barbarian version would be really interesting with a Risen Lord specced build. You'd have enough natural AB through barbarian plus all the natural tankiness of the form.

I also personally reccomend 5/19 shifter/6SD. A great amount of fun (It's what I personally run). The one drawback is only 3 attacks a round.

I wanted some fighting prowess with it. More shifter lvls only add AC which you can get from gear anyway.. and the sd.. Well it sounds good but I dont want 3 attacks anymore and I'm not sure which shadow a iron golem can retreat to RP-wise. But a shadowy shift does seem cool... Maybe your powers can come from the shadowplane.. Shadow shifting :O

I was also thinking of 15 lvls of CoT for some saves and a nice Divine Wrath (+7ab, +7dmg, etc etc), a shaman who is so in tune with his morphing and its religion it rages in it :)
It's only a shame the Rakshasha doesnt seem to work. And I'm unsure if I want to go the Risen Lord path. The vampire looks more interesting (only because I played the vampire the masquerade) and it's easier to heal thanks to his regen and vamp regen.

Anyway, thank you all for you the information you've provided. Might I ask for more?

If the rakshasha won't work I should either make a build for vampire or Death Slaad then. Unless... Those are hard to play...?
Summarily for the the final class I have these classes:
-15 barbarian for some tankiness, ab, some weak rages.
-15 BG for some sneak attack, bg aura, buffs and bg summon (i know it's not epic but hopefully it's something)
-15 CoT for some +saves, divine wrath +7 and feats.

More tips and tricks about what to avoid or abuse when playing a shifter focused on one shift and wants to wreck things with decent ab and ac?

Suhjet

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 22:14 PM 

Player

Mrlala wrote:
More shifter lvls only add AC which you can get from gear anyway..
AC from gear does not merge into your shifter forms. +DEX will add dodge AC, however. The better shifter builds require most of your CL in shifter.

TheCortroy wrote:
I will vouch for this build.

Shifter isn't the powerhouse it used to be. I'm not trying to discourage your barb+shifter build, but if you want AB and damage, you sacrifice AC, and vice-versa.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]