View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 17 2014, 19:15 PM 

Tester

Hello again, folks. Over my years playing on Amia, I feel like for every dozen concepts for characters, abilities, etc, I only get a chance to implement one of them. Such in the curse of an overactive imagination, I suppose. I've had five characters over ~7 years of playing Amia, but now I find myself sticking to my first two. Still, I continually catch myself jotting down ideas for new characters that I never get around to making, simply because I don't feel I have the time to do the concepts justice. Ive considered pitching them to friends who have considered playing, to creating a few player-run Alternate Beginning stories, and so on, but never get around to it.

I figure other long-term players might find themselves in the same boat. I also figure there are newer players that want to play something, but aren't but so familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting, or feel they lack the creativity for making an interesting character. Or maybe some of our older players are bored and found themselves in a rut and want to try something new...

And thus was born this thread. Got in interesting concept that you yourself will never use, but would love to see it ingame? Got a vague idea for a character, but want some help in working it into our setting? Just think a concept is cool? Post it! Think of this like the Build Topic, but coming at the concept with a focus on background and RP. That isn't to say you cant post some general guidelines about the build, though. Remember, these are concepts; they can change shape in the hands of different players.

Anytime I post something here, feel free to take it as your own if it interests you. But maybe make a note of it here or in a PM so it doesn't end up ingame multiple times. If you're asking for help workshopping a concept, be sure to make note of it, so people don't think it's up for grabs mistakenly.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 17 2014, 19:16 PM 

Tester

Most of my concepts that I never get around to playing are inspired from artwork. Many of them are mage/spellsword related. This is the first one I can recall:

The Bloodborne Scion

Classes: Figther/Sorcerer. Room for Blackguard or Knight Commander, depending on path of RP.
Race: Human - Chondathan
Alignment: Most likely Non-good or NE.
Themes: Duty vs Destiny. Ancestral Sin. Faustian Bargain.
Possible IC Apperance
Relevant Sources: Chondath,Arrabar

Background:

Born to a wealthy, but not necessarily noble family, the Bloodborne Scion was raised rather traditionally in the capital City of Arrabar. His grandfather, a prominent mercenary, gained considerable wealth during his years in his trade, as did his father before him. In fact, until the most recent two generations, the Scion's lineage consisted of at least one mercenary, a son, who excelled at the craft of financed war. For years, their name was associated with noble brutality and skill at arms. It was the Scion's father who broke away from this tradition, choosing a relatively tame life as a merchant and living off the family's old money. Rumor had it he was also the first to turn away from the worship of Tempus, the God of War, in favor of Waukeen; true or not, the rumor continues to be whispered whenever he or his son come into public view and many marked it as a shameful turn.

In his early years, the Scion found his every wish fulfilled and imagined that one day he would take up the mantle of his father, trading along Emerald Corridor. While he was an only child and his mother had passed away before his first year, his father had great hope that the Scion would carry on his good name. He cared little for what others had to say of him and his son; they were happy all the same. The two shared many an afternoon traveling along the coastal road, laughing and singing and trading their wares. Alas, the fond memories of childhood would not last forever.

In the Scion's nineteenth year, his father took ill. Clerics came and clerics went. None could assess the issue beyond “the works of fell magics.” His father's condition continued to decline, his once tawny skin becoming pale and gaunt, his green eyes reddening until eventually they grew as crimson as blood. The father rambled incessantly between fits of coughing, wandering around the ancestral home in delirium until eventually a maid would catch him and usher him back to his chambers. On one fated night, the Scion was awoke to the sound of his father stumbling through the cellar. He rose from his bed and crept down into the basement to find his father staring blankly at a suit of armor on a stand, not worn in decades. A knife was in his hand. As the Scion crept closer, his father turned, eyes empty as he spoke the last words he would ever hear him say.

“... Forgive me...”

And with that, the father drew the knife across his neck, a deathly shriek filling the house as he fell. In a series of unnatural motions, the blood erupted like a serpent from the now paling corpse and wrapped itself round the armor, oozing and slithering, sizzling and popping, spikes and wicked prongs forming within it until at last, there it stood, in all its unholy splendor.

“I am come to collect my due.”

The Scion stumbled back in horror as some dark presence was momentarily given form and life within the blood-gilded armor.

“In times past, I hath watched over this line. I hath seen this family rise from the dirt, skyward, and was its dutiful steward. I alone am to thank for this line's wealth and the success of its warriors. And I have been forsaken.”

The son felt himself being drawn ever closer to the grotesquery.

“It was the duty of your line to provide for me one from each generation that would offer unto me blood, and in turn, never should your kin want for any mortal pleasure. The father of your father held true to this pact, and so did his father before him. The one you call as your own, however, neglected his duty. My glory has waned. This duty now falls to you, twofold.”

“...”

“You shall offer unto me blood. Either that of your enemies, or your own. Until your debt has been paid, my will shall inhabit your flesh, and your blood, and your mind. And I shall work through you, that my glory might be restored. Do you understand?”

The Scion felt the invisible sting of a dozen tiny hooks press into his flesh. His mouth formed, as if by compulsion, an answer before he had even registered the question.

“...Yes... I shall offer unto you the blood of my enemies... or that of my own...”

When he came to, the Scion found himself standing above the bloodied corpse of his father, knife in hand, tendrils of red magic reaching about his body. He heard a scream from behind him. A maid stood in the doorway of the stairwell, her eyes madly darting between the corpse, the son, and the still dripping knife he held in his hand.

The Scion fled that same night as the guard was called into the home. His escape would take him across Faerun, eventually to the Sword Coast and Amn, before eventually departing to Amia. All the while, he would be plagued by nightmares of that dreadful night. However, it was not the sight of the corpse that haunted his dreams, nor even the fell magics that had begun to manifest in his flesh. It was simply the sound of a voice, a request, that tortured him to no end.

“Offer unto me blood; that of your enemies... or your own...”

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 17 2014, 20:24 PM 

Tester

A Scholar of the Old and New

Classes: Monk/Wizard or Monk/Cleric/Wizard. Something like a Mystic Theurge
Jobs: Alchemist and Inventor
Race- Human - ???
Alignment: LN or LG
Themes: Tradition and Innovation. Morals.
Possible IC Appearance
Relevant Sources: Mystic Theurge

Background:

No one is quite sure where the Scholar is originally from. Most often when one asks, she will tell you of her most recent residence--Halruaa, Damara, Neverwinter. Most of the time, however, she never stays in place long enough to be asked much further about it. As far as monks go, she seems boldly eccentric. Or perhaps eclectic is a better word.

She is a student of both the mind and the soul, suggesting (ambitiously and naively to some) that the Art is best used in conjunction to other forces, like the Power and Ki. For this reason, she studies all forms of the supernatural, even while she perfects her body to survive without it. Ambitious might be an understatement. No matter, she applies herself to all manners of study equally, be they scientific or philosophic. In her own words, where one field cannot explain, the other field picks up. Her progressive views on scholarly pursuits often put her at odds both with professors and clergy alike.

On her person, she keeps both magic scrolls and prayer books; holy relics and gnomish artifices; a pair of reading glasses and a pair of sparring gloves. Whatever one assumes her to be, she surprises by having a considerable knowledge of something that speaks to the opposite. To most, it is quite impossible to put your finger on exactly what she is.

In this same vein of irony, given that she has the build a Russian gymnast, she is sometimes mistaken for an adolescent male, much to her chagrin.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2014, 22:04 PM 

Tester

90-some views and no comments yet? *sniff*

Okay, here's one that has me stumped.

Magehounds.

I know only the basic info about them and their class stats. I cant be bothered to read through that trilogy or whatever that has one in it. Anyone have any idea how they work? Groups, singular? What might be an appropriate mission that would bring a Magehound to the Trackless Sea?

TheSleeperAwakes

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:59 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
90-some views and no comments yet? *sniff*

Nobody can roleplay my ideas better than I can. I won't even entertain the thought. Sharing's for losers.

I play: Azurnag

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:15 AM 

Tester

TheSleeperAwakes

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:38 AM 

Player

(I'm joking. I'm just too proud to use exclamation marks or smilies so it's easy for people to tell.)

I imagine most people would rather hold onto their ideas just in case they ever find an opportunity to bring them to life themselves, even if they're as dedicated to only a few characters like yourself. Or even because they don't go to that much effort to have such a solid, fleshed-out effort before they begin.

I've tried out both approaches myself and personally found that the first few great interactions with people in-game solidify my character in my head to a much greater extent than having a thorough back story before I begin. Maybe that's the way some other people feel too, I don't know. There are still a few recurring characters I entertain that I might have a crack at throwing into this thread, though.

I play: Azurnag

Liz

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:43 AM 

Player

That's precisely how I feel, Sleeper. I don't have any clue who my characters are, beyond the most sketchy outlines, until I've played them for a few sessions. A thread like this doesn't do me any good, really, just because my play style doesn't run towards preplanning a character's intricate details and histories. Just a general character hook and a general build idea are all I look for in a character generation.

Gobbledygook

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:02 AM 

Player

I'd love to see this concept in either a single character or a group of them: A cult that worships Dendar. In my mind they would praise Dendar and perhaps preach of the 'end of days', maybe even attempt to bring it about themselves.

Aiseth

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 15:14 PM 

Player

@ DarkImm: The Magehounds are sort of the bureaucratic hand of the Halruaans. They oversee all affairs Halruaa and observe Halruaans for misconduct, though rarely are they set into action as Halruaa is a mostly autocratic society: mages use divinations on their neighbors all the time and then go and confront them about borrowed tools and components unreturned. The Azuthian Magehounds as well are most heavily involved in Halarahh, the capital city, as the peace keeping force there and are generally always present in plain view, rare to speak on duty, as well they control the Skyforce: the armada of Skyships docked along the Promenade. (The Promenade is exactly as you may imagine it to be. A very tall and massive boardwalk that rings around the north east and west wall of the brilliant city, there the ships are docked and kept stationary until flight departures.) However when the Mage Hounds are actually called into duty, -especially- outside the three walls, it is a huge deal. It means some arcane artifact of great power, or some way out of control magician has taken to doing something unspeakable, threatening the security and balance of the nation of Halruaa. The best example I can give you is to think of them as the CIA or MI6, who work on such an umbrella level and answer quite only to declarations from either the council of elders, or the Netyarch himself. Rarely do their actions go spoken of, and they have all the tools they need to intercept anyone who may be trying to spy on them. Their position among peaceful Halruaa is sort of awkward for that sake, and Magehounds are mostly intimidating, and likely the third most intimidating chapter for a wizard in Halruaa next to the House of Jordani, and perhaps the Netyarch Zalathorn. Magehounds are rarely ever active beyond the Walls though, and that mysteriously a Skyship was sent to Nimbral for an investigation was left largely to speculation and without any real facts outside of those on a need-to-know basis. Though very little comes out of Nimbral anyway that is 'Fact' driven.

Last edited by Aiseth on Wed, Feb 11 2015, 23:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 15:56 PM 

Player

Liz wrote:
What she said.

What's annoying is having all these lofty plans and ideas, playing the character, and it just somehow taking its own direction. :cry: It happens every time!

Aiseth

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 18:46 PM 

Player

On Character Concepts. Here is something I have been working on in the shadows for some time, not so much a character concept for myself, but a prestige class for new evil. The lore and class is totes my own homebrew, but I totally offer this sort of dark spin on magicianship up to the DMs and PCs whom may want to use it any of their stories. I wrote such in the manner of a IC viewpoint. If Players and DMs like this sort of concept, I will add the narrative part of its description to the PC Library as means for lore integration. I hope you like it! Please note this is the first shown draft, and isn't a final (as far as the mechanics of the class goes.)

A Treatise on Fertility Magic

There are dark bastardly magics in the realms of Faerun that stem from even the most good-hearted of pursuits. It would seem almost inevitably in our advancing in the knowledge of the Weave darkness too would origin. As so the tree grows, not all of its fruits are fair, though even what it is rotten springs from the same flower. From Transmutation was learned Blood Magic, from Evocation was learned weapons of Siege Magic, and among these plights of the most respectable of magicians, flourished from the lands of many deserts, the practice of Fertility Magic. An honest conjurer whom uses the planes as temporal gateways to summon their eidelons and guardians would not disfigure the natural uses the body to produce such aforementioned horrors, though oft their talents can be described as both miraculous and a gift from the gods. Let not the Fertility Mage's guile entrance you to believe the gods are beyond the mark of this form of dark magic.

It was thought originally that the art of Fertility Magic was taught in the Mulhorandi region given to a sect of conjurer magicians by bound and will-less ifreeti. This sect was thought to be housed by certain pharaohs time and time again in palaces of hanging gardens to manifest the means to continue their reign, (of those pharaohs whom were without sons) As the pharaohs were oft believed to be the chosen of gods, to have no child was seen as a curse, and to he whom did not bear the fruit to continue his rule of the land, was not written to be pharaoh in the huts of Horus Re. The Fertility Mages were thus empowered and not of a lowly caste in the civilization's first turn of axis. Though as these kingdoms rose and fell throughout history, the art was in something of a decline of practice, or rather its methods were more horrendously illustrated by scholars and clergies. It was not long after their decline of caste that they did seemingly disappear as magicians. Not for nearly three-hundred years would this art begin to grow, when the Red Wizards of Thay adopted and studied the now occult covens of Fertility Magic in their many invasions of the Mulhorandi region. It is speculated darkly that the unspoken legions of Gaurgath and even myth of such practices hail from Zhentil Keep of women 'giving birth to monsters' echoes from the roads and maw of those whom walk westward. One account of a merchant caravan-er traveling through Cimbar :
"What otherwise I would have passed off as a beggar, the man I saw was distinguished only if not for the fineness of his common emerald silk that looked newly pressed and tied with still-taut ribbon from a seamstress' weave. I could tell they were eastern silks by the orient embroidering of jasmine flowers on the hem line. Though in his face, despite his affluence, he did have the appearance of one touched by insanity or at least, was well on his means to becoming mad. His hands were unkempt from him and would claim (or rather he pleaded to a man whom he was with) to have seen the 'faces of gods fall from a woman's legs', were I not a cautious man, nor heard the rumors of such magic myself, I would merely have laughed at the absurdity of such. Though in my good wisdom, I drew ashes of the driftwood from a locket in my satchel and dressed my forehead to be unobserved in that man's mercy. A god may have yet blinked back at him. I now am sorry I do not know more of his tale." To what is believed the man had seen in the merchant's accounts by scholars in Cimbar relates uncanny to the few practices seen in Thay and Mulhorand of Fertile Magic, in that it is known these mages have twisted conjuration to provide what is known as immaculate conceptions of monsters and things of abominate natures, though may of which are the centerpieces of such cults where cultists possess a Fertility Mage as their Deliverer, generally consisting of a Templar order, rumored to believe they can host the body or avatar of their god through supreme dedication in the art and perfection of Fertility Magic. There is even text to say that such an attempt was fruitful in ancient Mulhorand, such a tablet was uncovered at a site somewhere in the Lake Azulduth (The Lake of Salt) by contemporary archaeologist-adventurers.

"O Gentle Isis whose children are loyal....
Pulled from River Of Blood without Geb's Stone....
Borne Your Brother Thoth....
To Teach Us Once Again...
The Songs of the Heka...
Once Burned Into Silence...
By The Throats of Infidels..."

Prestige Class: Fertility Magician: A perverse form of conjurer whom commits hersellf to an arcane prophecy with a foreign body, and through this ritual can conjure powerful varieties of monsters with obscene power to guard them or to allow them to serve their own whims.

Hit-die: 1d6

Class Requirements: Must be Female, Ability to Cast Third Level Arcane Spells, Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration, any Non-Good Alignment. Concentration 10 Points, Spellcraft 10 Points, Lore(Religion) 5 Points, Discipline 8 points.

1st AB +1 | Fort +1 Reflex+0 + Will +1 | Pregnancy
2nd +2 | Fort +1 Reflex +1 Will +1| Bonding of Bodies 1, Permanent Fatigue
3rd +3 |Fort +2 Reflex +1 Will +2| Immaculate Conception
4th +4 |Fort +2 Reflex +1 Will +2| Bonding of Bodies 2
5th +5 | Fort +3 Reflex +2 Will +3| Caretaker
6th +6 | Fort +3 Reflex +2 Will +3| Greater Immaculate Conception, BoB 3
7th +7 | Fort +4 Reflex +2 Will +4|
8th +8 |Fort +4 Reflex +3 Will +4| Bonding of Bodies 4
9th +9 | Fort +5 Reflex+3 Will +5| Divine Conception
10th +10 | Fort +5 Reflex +4 Will +5| Supernatural Maternity, BoB 5

Class Features:

Spells Per Day: When a new fertility mage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before he added the prestige class.

Pregnancy (Su): At Level 1, the initiated Fertility Mage becomes noticeably pregnant and must commit to a prophecy of a certain host: Either a Outsider, Dragon, Fey, Abberation, or Magical Beast conjuring.

Bonding of Bodies (Ex): For every two levels of fertility mage levels, the Fertile Magician's body becomes protected by the seed of the creature inside her and gains +1 AC to Natural Armor class.

Permanent Fatigue(Sp): At Level 2, the Fertile Magician is forced under a permanent Slow effect due to chronic pain.

Immaculate Conception (Su): At 3rd Level, the fertile magician commits to a prophecy and can deliver a powerful supernatural off-spring of *Outsider, Dragon, Fey, Aberration, or Magical Beast decadence. The choice can only be made once and cannot be altered, and can be conjured once-per day.

Caretaker: At 5th Level, the attack damage caused by the Offspring, automatically regenerates the mother's health at the same number of hit points taken from enemies.

Greater Immaculate Conception (Su): At 6th Level, the fertile magician can host and deliver an overpowering monster of the chosen prophecy*

Divine Conception: (Su) At 9th Level, the Fertility Magician can give birth to an Atropal Scion.

Supernatural Maternity:(Su) At 10th Level, Once per day, the Fertility Mage can either: concentrate her Bonding with the Offspring to result in one of two options:

Maternal Instinct: The Fertility Mage can sacrafice any number of her hitpoints to heal the Offspring.

Matriarchal Defense: The Fertility Mage enters a zone of Arcane Sanctuary that persists to protect her as long as the Offspring still lives.

Last edited by Aiseth on Wed, Mar 19 2014, 19:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 19 2014, 19:09 PM 

Player

Cool topic, interesting to read. I may post some of my unplayed concepts here later, if I find the time to write something down.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 21 2014, 4:03 AM 

Tester

I was thinking about a barbarian/bard combination today, but something a bit different than the Scandinavian skald. A friend and I were talking about the traditional Maori war dance, the Haka, and the idea of a tribal war-chanter. Given that it is meant to intimidate the enemy, psyche you and your allies up, and the lyrics sometimes tell a story about the past, it seems like just the ticket for a Terrifying Rage/Taunt, Bard Song combo. I guess a notable difference though is that the Haka is performed by a group, though it may often have one person who leads the chant.

To me it seemed like a really cool take on the two classes that I at least have never seen done. Perhaps it's because there isn't really a Polynesian analogue in FR AFAIK, without getting into very vague implications about the Terra Incognitas. I would try it out if I had the time, just to relive the nostalgia of playing Rise of the Kasai.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 5:19 AM 

Tester

The question came up in talking to yet another friend who I lent NWN2 a while ago: how would one represent a Witcher in NWN and the Forgotten Realms universe?

I have played through the first Witcher game, watched most of the second--this same friend played it, hence him wanting to play one in NWN2--and also read The Blood of Elves and The Last Wish, since those are the only English translated novels of the series I know of. As far as I could come up with, Ranger is definitely high on the list, given that Witchers are monster hunters and Favored Enemy can easily represent that; the fact that they generally use lighter armors and nimble footwork also plays into this. However, their use of magic and Signs seems sort of a hodgepodge. They do study, learn, and teach the signs. The signs are probably more arcane in nature rather than divine and the fact that they do things like force, stun, fire, etc is a bit off from the generally passive spells that Rangers gain. Perhaps Bard, then?

The rest of a witcher's abilities would be pretty easy to emulate. Snakeblooded and a few other resistance feats to show natural resistance to poisons and diseases. Alchemist and herbalist jobs to represent an intense knowledge of potions and bombs. Perhaps Big Game Hunter, for the heck of it.

The question then falls to what would be the closest thing to a Witcher society in Forgotten Realms? Are there any particular orders that focus around the hunting of monsters, or would it be easier to explain it as some random adventuring company? Any thoughts would be interesting to hear.

BornToKill

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 5:24 AM 

Player

Adventurers are very much an IC thing in the forgotten realms. Some places even tax them.

Grell: I would like to hire the Kossuth maid service. Do you do waste disposal? I've a list of homes you could visit :P

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 5:37 AM 

Tester

I'm... not sure what that's in response to or meant to answer, really. I'm aware that adventurers, adventuring guilds, and relevant social structures are a thing in FR. What I'm asking about specifically is the existence of any documented organization that would match up with the theme of a witcher-style PC. Or in the lack of any named organization, where might be a feasible place for something similar to exist. As in, I find it probable that Thay might have some sort of assassin/mercenary agency that would fool around with the physiology of their agents.

dayfer

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 6:32 AM 

Player

Only gonna post a quick version of it, but here's something I requested (And failed to earn) some time ago.

The Corrupter

Basic build plan is something like fight/Sorcerer/Blackguard

General idea is a noble born Kohlingen dwelling Gargauth worshipper under the guise of a wizard and devout of Tyr looking to tear down the holy structure form the inside. Always thought it'd be a cool one, probably would've just gotten Meta'd and not worked though.

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 10:39 AM 

Player

You would probably be metagamed as it has happened before.

666WaysToHell

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 12:26 PM 

Player

The idol of Gargauth was very poorly hidden, mind you.

BornToKill

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 12:29 PM 

Player

...man, that's one that shouldn't even be in the module.

Grell: I would like to hire the Kossuth maid service. Do you do waste disposal? I've a list of homes you could visit :P

dayfer

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 14:47 PM 

Player

Very_Svensk wrote:
You would probably be metagamed as it has happened before.

Oh yeah, on hindsight it would've sucked. Realise that now, back then I thought it would be the best!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, May 20 2014, 21:25 PM 

Tester

Generally, you want to keep your PCs secrets, well, secret. Even on the OoC side. The idea of a corrupter could work, just don't go around blabbing about it OoC. Or even seek to get some sort of OoC validation. Go Nike and just do it. There are plenty of people in organizations and even positions on Amia that aren't exactly what they appear to be, and they are able to stay there through playing the part so well no one would question.

Regarding the Witcher idea, Dark Hunter seems like it could be a variation on the idea, but it lacks spells. The idea of a Geralt-ish character skulking the darkness of the Underdark does seem enticing, though.

serbiris

PostPosted: Wed, May 21 2014, 8:10 AM 

Player

Yeah having played a moderately successful infiltrator for a good year or so before getting caught, I want to dispel some of the doom and gloom. It's not impossible and if you're careful about who you play with and what gets shown, you can avoid metagaming. But, particularly with a corruptor, a role that necessitates revealing your true colours, you have to accept that sooner or later you're going to get outed by entirely legitimate means. Information explodes - quick and easy access due to the use of the forum, limits on personal communication lead to people being trusting without much evidence, the good-aligned bias (don't even try to argue that this one isn't true) and finally - you can't silence anyone who knows too much, due to difficulties with permadeath. My advice is not to base your entire concept around infiltration or if you do, have a very solid fall-back plan for when you get outed. There's nothing worse than a Karma Houdini, who tries to enact his evil and then disappears when caught, voiding any possibility of consequence.

That said, corruption/redemption is a tricky thing to enact in roleplay. Characters are not people but more tools that are built for a purpose, and the players who make these tools often have difficulty changing it. Even those who are cool with it still maintain direct control of the character, and you can't force them to cede it - you have to work with them, often locating very specific triggers to turn a given character. The status quo is difficult to change, and as mentioned above, it's risky to maintain a secret corruptor.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Hudson

PostPosted: Thu, May 22 2014, 10:28 AM 

Player

I completely agree with Serbiris post, a very good take on how to play an infiltrator/corruptor and expectations thereof.

The measure of succes for such a toon shouldn't be how many people you corrupt though but how much fun you have rp'ing trying to. If you succeed it's the cherry on the cake.

Harold Kendry (Illusionist) -> see avatar
Elloanore (Travelling bard)

BornToKill

PostPosted: Thu, May 22 2014, 12:40 PM 

Player

It's a good approach to any character, really. The life of a paladin, ideally, is just as risky and dangerous as that of his sneaky counterpart on the other end of the spectrum. Eventually, no matter the concept, things are going to capsize and you will hit a sandbank. Wether it sinks you or not is another matter entirely, but things like being outed as a blackguard/evil cleric/harper/spy, falling from grace, jail time, permanent damage to your character or those close to it, like targetting your NPC family instead of it, that's all well within what could happen.

Frankly, though, given I see open tieflings, evil half dragons etc. barely questioned, I don't think you're going to face too many problems even if you're outed as a "bad guy". Though to me, that's kind of unfortunate and dilutes the fun of playing with fire.

THAT SAID, GARGAUTH:

There is a Tethyran trade consortium owned by a secret society named the knights of the shield, most of whom unknowingly serve Gargauth. The corruption process is a long, long road there. You're basically first recruited into a financially beneficial, somewhat shady group. Most members never move beyond that stage. The inner circle of actual Gargauth pactees picks its members from that pool with utmost care. As far as he, specifically, is concerned, that is his modus operandi. He doesn't "randomly" corrupt, or grant powers to those who do; he's a former lord of the nine, he and his servants operate on the basis of far reaching, but highly adaptable, plans.

Mr. Hackums

PostPosted: Sat, May 24 2014, 6:12 AM 

Player

All of my corruptor characters ended up dead. :(

Ohgod, this could be the storehouse where I can keep my unused character concepts. I.. I have so many.

666WaysToHell

PostPosted: Sat, May 24 2014, 8:50 AM 

Player

Didn't at least one of your corrupters' end up forming a pretty cool faction, though? :P

Mr. Hackums

PostPosted: Sat, May 24 2014, 15:33 PM 

Player

Both ended up forming factions, nearly starting wars, were filled with intrigue and betrayals. *Sniffle* They were lovely little bastards.

Astro_Black

PostPosted: Sun, May 25 2014, 12:25 PM 

Player

I usually dont go too deep into the history etc of a characters concept unless i make it. But I've had a bunch I never made. My favourite would probably be an old gritty paladin of hoar from the north.

He'd be a real jaw chewing clenched up tough ass, ranting about the shit he's gone through given the opportunity, more often than not ending up in awkward moments: "I wouldn' eat that meat if I were you.. I've had carcasses looking lots better and still had the shits for weeks.. Marching miles after miles with a water fall commin' out yer metal plated arse is somethin' I wouldn' recommend anyone.."

And having gone extreme lengths to get the poetic justice done: "don' know how many time's I've gone scouring the slums for low lifes jes' to get some cock up a rapists arse.. But what is right is right, aye. Some one needs ta do it. And I never complained.. *spits*" Or something like that lol

(Probably would work better as just a zealously devoted fighter or something than a paladin though haha)

joe15552

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 11 2014, 18:18 PM 

Player

Astro_Black wrote:
(Probably would work better as just a zealously devoted fighter or something than a paladin though haha)

Sounds like a wizard, to me. :D

Murex

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 15 2014, 9:41 AM 

Player

Darkmoon Monk

Classes: Sorcerer and Monk (perhaps maybe also shadowdancer)
Alignment: LE

Monks of the Dark Moon are members of a sect of sorcerer-monks who have dedicated themselves wholly (mind, body and soul) to Shar, the Lady of Loss. Through diverse training, skills, and absolute devotion to their Lady, they serve as her assassins, enforcers, and shadowy agents. The organization's leaders have direct contact with Shar, and are not subject to the authority or will of her clergy. The Order of the Dark Moon is a completely independent organization, which gives Shar an incredible range of talents to call upon in times of need. This status gives them the freedom they need to train in their particular skills, to focus on their devotion to Shar, and to ready themselves for the instant she calls them into action.

Monks of the Dark Moon serve the Mistress of the Night by carrying out tasks she prefers not to assign to her ordinary clergy. They strike at Shar's enemies with lightning swiftness and terrifying lethality. The Lady of Loss can be sure that her monastic disciples undertake any order she may give them with extraordinary zeal, whether her whim be sabotage, espionage, or murder. Her monks have proven time and again to be Shar's "ace in the hole," most particularly against her hated sister, Selune, and her rival, Loviatar.

Throughout the past 10 years, Loviatar has been making inroads into part of Shar's traditional territory (that being the domain of Suffering). Due to Shar's normal clergy's apparent lack of success in stopping these incursions, she decided she required a different type of fighting force for special missions. Shar conceived a disciplined and loyal monastic order which would serve as her elite task force when her needs included subtlety, infiltration, or assassination.

The Monks of the Dark moon began their existence in the city of Parskul, in an imposing, grim monolith of stone, built by commission from Shar's most trusted mortal servant, Alorgoth, the Bringer of Doom. Alorgoth searched the lands far and wide to find individuals perfectly suited for Shar's purposes in the forming of this new monastic order, picking from among young adults who had manifested sorcerous power or potential, who had not yet been ordained as part of Shar's clergy. As for the shrine itself, its existence is known to all, but what goes on within its walls is one of the most guarded secrets of the order. There are only two options for those who enter the shrine to train: become a faithful servant of the Lady of Loss, or end up serving as a living training dummy for those within. The shrine's deadly reputation is well-known particularly within the ranks of Shar's clergy, most of whom refuse to enter it at all.

Since the founding of the original monastery, the Monks of the Dark Moon have spread across Faerun, establishing shrines and safe havens wherever they go. A shrine beneath the northwestern foothills of the Sword Mountains serves as a base of operations for order members operating in the northern Sword Coast. Dark Moon monks in Cormanthor and the Moonsea operate out of a desecrated shrine to Selune on the southern edge of Cormanthor. A mountain base at the summit of one of the Thunder Peaks, which is guarded by a clan of manticores who have been converted to the Sharran faith, serves as a recruiting post for Sembian and Cormyrian aspirants to the order. The most stoic and doughty of the monks of the Dark Moon hail from a monastery hidden deep in the Calim Desert in a buried series of tunnels scoured out of a hill by the blasting sands of this tormented land; only individuals of extraordinary constitution and willpower are even able to reach it.

Like the church of Shar, the monks of the Dark Moon follow and obey a strict heirarchy. Failure to follow the orders of a superior is grounds for execution. Most of the monks of the Dark Moon are human, but others include a few half-orcs, drow, tieflings, and a shade or two.

The "common" monks refer to each other as Dark Brother or Dark Sister. Senior monks are called Dark Father or Dark Mother, and are primarily responsible for the rigorous physical and mental training of the lower-ranked monks, as well as their preliminary religious indoctrination. The senior-most monk in any monastery is referred to as Dark Father Abbot, or Dark Mother Abbess. They lead the monasteries, and are the hearts and souls of the order, receiving their orders directly from Shar, though never undertaking missions personally unless Shar commands it. The Abbots and Abbesses convene once each year at the Temple of Old Night in Calimport to meet with the ranking clerics of the deity.

Perhaps the greatest strength of the order is its unity of purpose. The sole purpose of the existence of the monks of the Dark Moon is to serve Shar. They are more fanatical than members of her clergy, and strive to emulate the important tenets of Shar's dogma in all things. Being hopeless and remorse as individuals, they find spiritual fulfillment in acting as a weapon in the hand of the Lady of Loss. Striving for perfection according to their religious beliefs is their only interest, aside from following out the Mistress of the Night's orders as passed down through their superiors. Betrayal of the order is unthinkable to the men and women who have taken the order's dark vows.

Though the Order of the Dark Moon and the church of Shar share the same goal, the monks' methods are less obvious and more selective. If the church is engaged in a long-term plan to overthrow a city government, the monks might slip into that city's chief government building, kidnapping or killing a designated target. The clergy might hire a thieves' guild to undermine a city's social order and turn followers of good deities toward Shar, while a squad of Dark Moon monks ambush a cleric of Selune in the same city, murder him, and leave his body for scavenging animals to dispose of.

For recruiting, the monasteries are highly selective, placing more value on quality than quantity. Recruits must meet a certain set of criteria in order to be considered. First, they must be a young adult. Second, they must be among the strongest in their faith, but cannot have taken an oath of priesthood. Third, and most importantly, recruits must have shown the potential to develop sorcerous abilities.

Monks of the Dark Moon do not accept any members who do not undergo their year-long training. Hopefuls are drawn from among those who are already indoctrinated into Shar's mysteries, but only those who show incredible devotion to Shar's ideals are ever admitted. The rigourous training and vile acts one must perform when recruited weed out most of the orders enemies, along with the weak and faint of heart. This training does not always produce powerful members, with some graduates not having yet mastered their martial or arcane abilities ebough to harness them on any given level. A member of Shar's faithful who was already a monk or sorcerer could be invited to join as long as they fulfill the three principals, and their training would focus on the type of skills they lacked.

Shar's allies are the monks' allies, and the decrees of the Lady of Loss motivate and drive the monks of the Dark Moon. They don't make alliances or enemies except as directed by Shar herself, and then only for her evil to be able to flourish. Even so, the leaders of local monasteries to not allow purposeful alienation of the common folk who live near their monasteries. The work of the Dark Moon is best carried out under the cloak of secrecy, and blatant or obvious maltreatment of commoners merely attracts the attention of self-righteous do-gooders, who must be eliminated before they endanger the security of the order. Some Dark Moon strongholds work to convince nearby settlements and communities that their members are just a group of peaceful ascetics. Cultivating friendly relations with the local populace often provides a level of camouflage otherwise unattainable, even through magical means.

Shar's enemies are the monks' enemies, and the Dark Brothers and Sisters strike when and where commanded, not dwelling on ethics or morals outside Shar's dogma. The Dark Moon monks harbor special hatred for followers and servants of Selune, Shar's sister. Their discipline permits them to resist the temptation to seek out personal vendettas or any other type of activity not expressly ordered by their superiors. When sent out on a mission, as long as a monk of the Dark Moon is still alive, they will contiue to attempt to carry out their orders, and will not stop until the task is complete, or the monk has died in the attempt.

(taken from the wiki under Shar)

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 23 2014, 9:29 AM 

Tester

A Fine Young Gentleman

Classes: Sorcerer(Aberrant)/Knight Champion. Mostly Transmutation focused.
Race: Human or Half-Elf, possibly from Cormyr
Alignment: TN
Possible IC Apperance

Background:

The Gentleman didn't always live up to his current namesake. In fact, a rough childhood and numerous run-ins with authority led most to believe that he was destined for the life of a common swindler or a pawnbroker at best. As he approached age 16 however, an odd fancy struck him: warfare. Books on arcane stratagem, military positioning, and the philosophy of combat began to line his shelves. His knack for it became so impressive that his family pooled together what little money they had to enroll him into a college for future commanders and royal advisers.

In time, he showed promise beyond even his most well-bred peers. In military games, he always seemed to find openings that were all but invisible to everyone else. His unique approaches to even the most traditional of examples soon gained him a reputation as one of the leading military minds of his time by his twenty first birthday. Couth, cultured, prudent and punctual. A fine young gentleman indeed.

And all the while, he became more beautiful, hauntingly so. And all the while, he began to don more conservative clothes. First long-sleeved tunics, in even the most dire of heats. Then gloves, even outside of winter time. Until eventually most could never recall a time when he was not covered from head to toe, leaving all but his face visible.

And all the while, the corruption spreading. Thin lines, at first. Thin, black lines, like eyelashes creeping over his skin, marbling pale flesh with veins of inky darkness. The voices. So many voices. Distant tongues edging his mind even further past its bounds. Seek here. Attack here. Feint. Deceive. Assimilate. The plans pushed into his mind becoming more alien with each new trial, the voices speaking through his own to change the battlefield under his feet. To change his body into things unspeakable, horrible, yet wonderfully functional all the same. And then, at last, they came. The eyes. Tiny, beady, bleary. Just under the skin. They were not his to see through, it seemed. Rather, they were there for something else. To observe.

A fine young gentleman is he. And no one the wiser that while he leads fellows to war, he wages yet another battle within within himself.

The_Blue_Wizard17

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:13 AM 

Player

Not quite as detailed as other character concepts, but I've been in love with the idea for a while now of a kind of ... Anti-Paladin of Hoar. I'd say Blackguard even, but without an overt angle of being a cackling, evil mastermind knob head.

His primary focus and personal mission would be to act as a policing officer within his own faith. Seeing as how Hoar follows the full Lawful spectrum from good to evil, it'd be this guys sole purpose to go out and fight the goody Paladins of Hoar who he feels have strayed, gone too severe in punishments, or are generally just doing a bad job.

He'd take jobs of vengeance from people who feel they've been wronged or short changed by other good followers of Hoar.

Would love to play it, but I feel it's more of a story character concept rather than an active RP one, seeing as how I don't think there's any real Hoar activity on the server and all that. Still think it's a nice angle to go for.

WrathOfTheNorth

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 11 2015, 14:06 PM 

Player

+1 to this thread, Will grab some concepts in time and put them up!

Khuul-Khuum -Icy Heart Award 2014- Joint 2nd Best Developed 2014!
Ordained Of Her Grace

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:27 AM 

Tester

The Wildcards

ImageImage

The Jack-of-all-trades. The Red Mage. The "Main Characters".

One of the most interesting things to play in any sort of game is a character that does a bit of everything. Or at least, that's what I have found; and that perhaps explains why I enjoy making spellsword/swordmage concepts in games. My first character in NWN was a Figther/Wizard/Rogue. The original NWN campaign was my first experience with any D&D sort of world, so I wasn't quite used to having a character that simply couldn't do options that were presented in the game-world. That is, everything I played up until my teens was an RPG or console game where the character was inherently capable of whatever options were available. So when my Lv 2 Fighter came across a couple of spell scrolls I said "Gee, I want to be able to use these." So a Wizard he became. Then I came across locked chests and traps. I said "Gee, I'd like to be able to do these things too." And so, my dear Hyron became a thief as well.

Oh, he was horribly built. But he was fun as hell, especially for a person who wanted to personally explore all the facets the game world had to offer. If I had known better, I suppose I could have just played a Bard. Bards are by most accounts at the center of the classic RPG strength-magic-skill triangle. They get spells, they get decent attack, weapons, and armor, and they have access to many rogue-like skills and abilities. It is a great class for getting to do a bit of everything, however I have but one small gripe with it: its set theme.

Every Bard is a bard. A singer. A musician. A cantomancer and a practicioner of the power of song. Even if you intended to play a generalized "factotum" or whatever as a Bard, he would still have Bard Song, still be pressured to invest in it, and ultimately end up being a Bard who ignored what is in all fairness a superb class ability, albeit a thematically limiting one.

I had a six hour drive today and during the ride I came up with two "variants" on the Bard class that I feel offer that same fun of being a "bard" but offer a new spin on it, not dealing explicitly with music. I suppose were someone looking to play one of these it could be done through DC abilities or request. In any case, they all use the Bard Class's AB, Save, and Skill progression. But instead of Bard Song and Bardic Lore, they gain some other features that might evolve out of what the Bard is at it's core: a wildcard, through and through.

Last edited by Dark Immolation on Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:34 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:52 AM 

Tester

Voice of War

Quote:
While at first the concept seems as blatantly ripped-off as the picture provided, I think it could actually have a place in Forgotten Realms in spite of it. The general idea is a "bard" who uses the raw power of voice and sound to cause disastrous effects on the battlefield. Being sired from the same magical stock a normal Bard might, it wouldn't be that far-fetched. Magical heritage can present itself in a myriad of ways. Even still, how a PC would choose to use, neglect, or abuse that heritage expands the options even more. All in all, being centered around a single basic ability that can be adapted to many situations, a Voice of War might be thought of as an acoustic-based melee Warlock.

Voice of War

The Voice of War is a soldier like any other. Taught--nay--forged in the same training fields as any other grizzled veteran that came before him. And yet, something remains elusive about him. While it is not uncommon for a tenured commander to learn a few cantrips, the Voice finds himself in command of a number of magics, much like a Sorcerer. However, unlike a Sorcerer, they are not showy things. He has no Fireballs to hurl nor legions of undead to raise. Healing basic wounds. Scouting an area. Dispelling moderate magics. Practical things. Needful things.

Nothing much would set him apart from a lucky soldier gifted with a few spells. Nothing, except his voice. Some say he is descended from a Brass or Bronze Wyrm. Others still posit the favor of warmonger Gods like Tempus or Garagos. Some particularly derisive scholars even suggest that what a Voice manifests is a very limited(and heavily bastardized) form of Truenaming, though conclusive research has yet been had. Whatever the source, the power of his voice cannot be denied. His use of it is as blunt and practical as his use of magic. There is no singing. There is no music. Such things or petty contrivances, the luxury of mewling dandies and flamboyant fops. The true power of sound lies only in its force. Nothing more, nothing less. And force, be it at the end of a blade or hurled form afar, is something the Voice of War understands with deadly aplomb.

Level 1- Shout (Su) [Replacement for Bard Song]

By expending a charge of Bard Song, the Voice of War casts a modified Greater Shout as a spell-like ability. The damage for the Shout is equal to CL d6, DC = 10 + 1/2 CL + CHA Mod. A successful Reflex save halves the sonic damage and a successful Fortitude save avoids the Stun and Deafness.

Special: A Voice of War cannot Shout while Silenced.

Level 5 - Force of Self [Replaces Bardic Knowledge]

The Voice of War applies his whole being into the art of battle. His force of self, however subtle as compared to a Sorcerer, bleeds over into his passion for warfare. He adds his Charisma modifier to Discipline, Concentration, and Tumble checks.

Level 10 - War from Afar

The Voice of War can "flavor" his Shout ability with any Feat or Skill Ability he knows. I.E. If the Voice knows Disarm, he may choose to make his Shout roll a Disarm check against each enemy hit. The same for Called Shot, Knockdown, Taunt, and so on. This flavor can be chosen outside of battle and replaces the Stun check on the original Shout ability.

Level 15 - Resonance

The Voice of War's powerful vocal abilities become so great that enemies may be outright incapacitated by it. The Voice gains an addition 3 "flavors" to add onto his Shout Ability. These flavors stack with War from Afar, but also must be set outside of combat.

Entreat: Targets roll Concentration vs Persuade or are Charmed 3 rounds.

Befuddle: Targets roll Concentration vs Bluff or are Confused for 3 rounds.

Terrorize: Targets roll Concentration vs Intimidate or are Slowed and Frightened for 3 round.

Quote:
The mixing of "flavors" seems like it could lead to many interesting personas for a Voice of War. Is your Voice of War a Peacekeeper, halting entire battles by an Entreating and Disarming Shout? Is he warrior-trickster, Befuddling foes and Taunting them into ineffectiveness? Or are they a force of nature, Terrorizing enemies, rending their arms and legs with Called Sho(u)ts to the point victory is assured from very first battle cry?

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:06 AM 

Tester

Weaveborn

Quote:
No, not Skyrim-inspired, the name simply sounds cool and appropriate in my opinion. For those unfamiliar, the picture here is the Scion from Path of Exile. She is the jack-of-all-trades in the purest sense; she starts of in the middle of the game's huge skill tree and can gain the abilities of any of the other 6 classes, although it is incredibly difficult for her to become as proficient at any particular facet.

While the idea for a class variant that can simply do "anything" seems like it would be fun to play, that by itself offers very little in terms of story, theme, or flavor. However, riffing off of the general idea of a sorcerous bard, an individual not fully realized or even in control of their magical heritage, offers some spice. It also allows me to shamelessly plug my main's theory on magical people. Should any be interested in rolling this concept, I would love to help along with the idea, IC and OoC!

Weaveborn

Magic isn't always pretty. Sometimes, it can be painfully capricious. While most are familiar with the romanticized images of Wizards, Sorcerers, and Bards, few are aware of the individuals the Weave has entangled in unwanted and inevitably perilous ways.

If Sorcerers are "knots in the Weave," then the Weaveborn are the frayed and tangled strands that are not so neatly tied. While most do gain control of a few basic sorcerous spells, the bulk of their potential dances dangerously beyond their grasp. A fully realized sorcererous caster, instinctively or intentionally, follows the patterns of a paradigm or the ethos of an ancestor; this allows a sorcerer to access their magical manifestations in a (comparatively) surer and safer manner. One might motion their hand, mutter the Ifreeti word for fire, and thus a Fireball is created. A request is made, an answer is given.

A Weaveborn has no such faculty. She has no comprehensive pattern within the tapestry of the Weave for her bond with it is partial and crude. She motions her hands, knowing not what question they have asked. More importantly, beyond a few basic spells, the Weave has no key with which to interpret her components, no paradigm to place her request in context to. Neither side of the equation fully understands the other and so cacophony ensues. Without a complete paradigm, the Weaveborn's attempts at harnessing the true force of her personality results in nothing but disparate effects that, while sometimes powerful, usually have no relation to each other or the Weaveborn's intent. Even so, these surges of magic sometimes happen involuntarily in times of duress or injury--and sometimes even in relaxation.

If life were not hard enough for a Weaveborn, the social pressures they face are as dangerous to their health as any stray lightning bolt they might project. While Weaveborn are not well-known phenomenon (those few that manage not to destroy themselves lay low), it does not take much for other arcanists to understand their situation once shown. They are dangerous. Innately more dangerous than even the most unskilled Sorcerer. They are walking areas of Wild Magic with a lit fuse, abominations to some and pitiable freaks to others. Over the course of the past few years, the few Weaveborn that manage stay alive have found themselves increasingly at the center of philosophical and even prophetic upheaval within Magical communities.

In Halruaa it is said that should a Weaveborn be outted, she would be found as a smoldering corpse before sundown, Magehounds given express directives to summarily execute any they might find. In Thay, rumors abound that Weaveborn are captured, tortured, experimented on, brainwashed, and even bred before being used as suicide troops in the nation's many shadow wars. In numerous other "civilized" settlements, the prospects are not much better; Weaveborn are imprisoned, chased out of town, or sometimes burned at stakes by fellow users of the Weave like witches hunted down by superstitious peasants. The one faint glimmer of hope that seems offered to these fated individuals are the Knights of the Weave who, while incredibly few in number and wildly independent, are rumored to be seeking the Weaveborn out--to protect them and gather them for some purpose known only to themselves. While this gossip has drawn the ire of Mystran and Azuthian Clergy that are allied with the Knights and the outright hostility of some individual arcanists, most Weaveborn see this end as bleak as any other; the same rumor holds that Weaveborn who find themselves under the "protection" of the Knights promptly go missing, never to be seen or heard from again by family or friend.

A life constantly on the run from monsters, villagers, and arcanists has engendered a very wide array of skills in most Weaveborn. Most are incredibly self-sufficient, not being able to rely on the loyalty of others when sizable bounties for their lives are offered by even the most backwater of wizard cabals. They are survivors, of their environments and of themselves. They soldier on, some with the hope of one day mastering their endowment, others with the dream of being completely rid of it, and others still who have resigned themselves with a macabre and fatalistic joy to one day be destroyed by it.

Level 1 - Surge (Su) [Replacement for Bard Song]

By expending a charge of Bard Song, the Weaveborn can cause her latent magical connection to surge. This ability functions like a Rod of Wonder, given to the same percentages. However, the DC where applicable are all normalized to 10 +CL/2 + Charisma Mod. Fireball and Lightning Bolt are replaced with their normal CLd6 versions and the "Fake Spell" option is instead replaced with Mestil's Acid Breath.

Level 5 - Volatility (Su) [Replaces Bardic Knowledge]

When damaged, a Weaveborn makes a Fortitude Save vs the damage received. Failure results in a Surge being triggered and draining one Bard Song charge.
When subject to a mind affect (Stun, Confusion, Daze, Fear, etc), Surge is triggered once per round at a random target within range, draining a charge of Bard Song.
Whenever the Weaveborn rests, there is a 2% chance per Surge charge that Volatility will trigger, possibly interrupting Rest.

It should be noted that certain surges(especially later ones) can be deadly for the Weaveborn herself when triggered at point-blank range. Fireballs and lightning bolts erupting from fresh wounds have often led a frail Weaveborn to both their and their enemy's demise. Additionally, sharing camp with a Weaveborn who has not fully expended their pent up magical energies can prove fatal, leading them to be further ostracized by mages and mundane folk alike.

Level 10 - Surge, Greater (Su)

The percentages for Fireball, Lightning Bold, Mestil's Breath, Stinking Cloud, Shimmering Colors, and Windstorm are replaced by Delayed Fireball, Chain Lightning, Cone of Cold, Acid Fog, Prismatic Spray, and Greater Thunderclap, respectively.

Level 15 - Ritual of Becoming

At level 15 the Weaveborn is led by instinct or by chance to conduct a ritual that attempts to form, bind, or align herself to a complete paradigm within the Weave. This process is both dangerous and painful and has the potential to drastically and permanently change the character. It is nothing short of performing metaphysical surgery on oneself, without anesthesia. This functions as a one time Deck of Hazards with the following cards replaced for other effects:

The Donjon Card -> The Weaveborn falls into a coma for 2d4 Days. When awoken, she has amnesia and is blocked from using any spells or Surge. (Curable only by Wish)
The Wyrm -> The ritual attracts the attention of Halruaan Magehounds. Sometime in the near future, one is summoned and attacks the Weaveborn.

The Oracle -> The Weaveborn falls into a coma for 2d4 Days and is given the option to fully rebuild as a Sorcerer or Bard of equivalent level.
The Hatchling -> The ritual attracts the attention of the Weave Knights. One is summoned, protecting the Weaveborn until his (or her own) death.

The Ritual of Becoming takes 24 hours of preparation and can be repeated every 3 levels there on, assuming the Weaveborn survives the results of each attempt, has access to their magic, and has not otherwise gone insane. Additionally, the Weaveborn can be coerced or even forced into participating in the Ritual of Becoming, assuming someone had the appropriate knowledge to set up the ritual. In the case the Weaveborn is unaware or forced into the ritual, they are allowed a Will save vs DC 40 to resist it, though another attempt can be made in 2d4 days, until it is successful. The Ritual must be done at level 15, but later ones are optional.

Quote:
The "untidiness" of this concept is what keeps it interesting to me. So often it's taken for granted that any character that can cast spells has majority or full control over their abilities. In addition to being a jack-of-all-trades, the Weaveborn would be capable of a few clutch plays with the Surge ability, either purposely or accidentally through Volatility. While there is a ton of RP to be had through the PC struggling to simply maintain their connection to magic, I would be surprised to see a Weaveborn stick around for a long time without some serious assistance from a sympathetic arcanist; between manhunts, Volatile Surges and the Ritual of Becoming, the clock is ticking down between the PC realizing themselves as arcanists or becoming dangerous to the point of self-destruction.

Overneath

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 27 2015, 0:33 AM 

Player

Ahh, 'the list'. I have yet to very many players who don't have one, an internal document of living beings who never got to see the light of day. Honestly, I can see a thread like this being very cathartic, and it seems Dark Immolation agrees; if you spend so much time envisioning something that never comes to fruition, it can seem like a wasted effort. But if the idea is at least 'out there', being seen (or even used!) by others, the connection makes it a little better. I still prefer to play them myself, of course, but eventually there are so many that it's inconceivable to do so.

And then there is what I call the 'Ashe Complication', where you spend a good deal of time formulating a character and then (sometimes years later) find out that a vast majority of its traits exist in a mainstream form. The name comes from an Aurilite ranger/arcane archer I created a while ago, Ariavel, mostly to give some 3.5 splatbook mechanics a rigorous testing. When she first saw the light of day, the first question I got asked was 'Why are you playing Ashe from League of Legends?' I looked her up and, sure enough, there were the ice bow, white hair, slim builds, and frost powers. It was nowhere near an exact replica, but it was enough to be suspicious. As with most inspirations, sometimes it's an intentional influence like the Voice of War above, and sometimes it's a simple case of there being more than one of everything, up to and including ideas.

I tend to enjoy crafting characters as a challenge. I used to be part of a few threads on another forum where the purpose was for other users to pop in and give random ideas, classes, combinations, and sometimes even adjectives ('vivacious' was a particularly fun one) to see whether they could be given the full PC treatment. I extended the practice to my friends whenever they hit a period of artistic limbo, and we eventually became experts at forming something from nothing, or almost nothing. I don't think I have a single roster that isn't a leftover from those days, especially my Amian one. With the exception of Pan'lamin (who is a shameless insert of who I wish I could be, which is part of why his characterization is so all-over-the-place), they're all challenges or single-thought ideas. A few are even combinations of traits from these, like Hork and Luvenia representing the CE vs. LE dynamic on top of the 'half-orc barbarian parody' and 'affably evil' trope.

Overall, the hardest part is fully characterizing something you have, and that's only really possible via character development. One of the richest and well-rounded characters I ever played began as 'make a paladin without any paladin levels' and ended up as a tactically savvy combat medic in charge of a strike force against threats from The Beyond. It was an amazing ride, and now I look back at his first iteration and laugh at myself for believing that his character would remain stagnant. And that's generally how development works; what you start with and what you end up with might be only superficially similar or even unrecognizable, and as fun as making a concept is, it's the exploration of who they really are that makes the effort worthwhile.

But! I've been talking more about me than actual character concepts.

An intriguing idea is the Ur-Priest, or else someone who gains divine magics from a place other than the gods. It allows for the buildup of someone who can have absolute faith without relying on a being to focus it, sort of like an absolute idealist who happens to be atheist, or as close as you can get in a world where nobody believes they aren't there. It's also a theoretically excellent method for exploring more abstract concepts, because you have to be an exemplar of those concepts. If you're an Ur-Priest of Law, does that mean you abide by the laws of civilization, or your own? What about the laws of the universe? If Tarkuul and Waterdeep were neighbors and you crossed the border from one to another, would you moral compass change significantly, or just how you used it? It really lets one think about what these things mean to us, and how they affect our way or life.

Or, you could be an Ur-Priest of Adventuring and do whatever you please.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 02 2015, 20:24 PM 

Tester

Here's some food for thought: what are some character's in your PC's background that you might like to see played by a fellow player?

People who have extensive character histories or PC stories probably have a few made-up "NPC's" in their character's off-screen actions. For instance, in my RP of my PC being a lecturer/professor, some of his students have had small cameos in his PC Story. They're nothing particularly special or epic in my mind, but they do have their own interesting personalities and it might be cool to see someone take a shot at them. I imagine other players have this sort of thing going on too, whether it be a family member, a supplier, a teacher or student. So maybe somewhat similar to a fellow player's make-a-mook initiative, there are some folk who'd like to occasionally jump in as someone's sidekick, cohort, mentee, or henchman.

If you're looking for RP, are unsure about how to get involved in a setting, or just want to try something new for a few minutes, this may be a quick way to do so. If you can't afford a bottled familiar or simply crave a deeper interaction with a character from your own PC's story, maybe in posting the idea here you'll get what you're after through another player's help. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what type of foil characters people have created for their own PCs.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 28 2015, 4:45 AM 

Tester

I guess there are fewer professors and masterminds among us than I thought. xD Well I haven't forgotten about the last prompt, so here are a few of mine.

The Cosmopolitan

Inspirations: Character concept designed Devon Cady-Lee, Mystic Theurge, Artificer and Magewright from Eberron, Halruaa, the Fae and Adepts from The Coldfire Trilogy
Classes/Build: Cleric(Magic and Spell Domains)/Bard(One or two Wizard optional). Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, Brew Potion(Optional). Probably Azuthian or Mystran.
Possible IC Appearance

Again taking a crack at a character to whom nothing is as foreign or outlandish as one might normally think. Halruaa(and maybe Lantan) is as close to Eberron as FR gets, and I enjoy that for one reason: the practical application of magic. The focus isn't so much on having high magic abound as much as it is having a lot of it accessible in a sensible manner. People take flying ships and carpets to work. They sit down at watch "moving stories" on building walls and have sea shells and rocks that play particular songs. Street lamps, irrigation systems, you name it. At such a point, we are reminded of Arthur Clarke's suggestion of "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Could we enlist people to build giant ion cannons that punch holes clean through the Earth? Sure, but that same engineering know-how is more likely to be employed designing things that everyone can use, like electronics, consumer products, and other civil systems.

Out of this sort of Halruaan retro-future would rise the Cosmopolitan. She dabbles in all all forms of magic not necessarily because she seems them all as interconnected, but because the practical applications that come with being able to use some of each. From a commercial standpoint, there are few services that she cannot offer, be it repelling the undead, lifting a curse, blessing an item, enchanting a weapon, transmuting/mending a material, and so on. To that end, in such a place as Halruaa, she found herself much in demand, as any professional might in an industrialized nation. Why hire both an archwizard and a high priestess, if you can get all that you need out of someone relatively well versed in both styles of magic? As an Azuthan/Mystran, the religious side of her work seldom interferes with any project she undertakes; the mere practice of showing people the safe and beneficial use of magic seems to be enough for her. While she is not opposed to lending help to the local magical clergy when needed, she more often keeps her distance, as Divine Magic and rune-scribing are but a facet of what she considers to be her true work.

Why she came to Amia, few can guess. Perhaps it is an instance like so many others were a professional "catches the bug" and flies halfway around the world to aide lesser developed nations. While at first off-put by Amia's magical markets catering almost exclusively to the adventuring populace--she would describe it herself as "No one wants to buy anything unless you can beat someone to death with it"--she eventually carves out a place for herself by offering her services to any whom could afford them. While not as gung-ho to "field test" her prayers and magics as other Amian magic users tend to be, she nonetheless proves adequate when the time comes and knows her way around a longsword. She found herself in Beldor's retinue as both a student and adviser. Student to the endless mysteries that seem to reside within him(she regards him somewhat as a muse) and adviser to him in divine magical matters of which he is often neglectful or unconcerned.

I never really came up with a name for this character, but thinking back to the Coldfire Trilogy, I do think Ciani would be an awesome name, as homage to one of the main characters that has a similar world view any maybe even looks like a much younger version of her with the dusky skin and impeccable dress of a Hulruaan.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 28 2015, 5:44 AM 

Tester

Giren

Inspirations: A smidgen of Dandelion from the Witcher Series, a sprinkle of the Joker from Batman, Warmage
Classes/Build: Sorcerer/Rogue. Perhaps some Fighter, Red Dragon Disciple, or even Knight Commander depending on how or if Giren gets his act together.
Possible IC Appearance

Giren was a background character I created in my PC Stories years ago. The main idea is he is a drop out from a War Wizard academy in Cormyr. While he excelled at the shooty-the-baddies aspect of being a War Mage, he refused to apply himself to any of the tactical or teamwork aspects of the calling. In truth, he only wanted an outlet for his natural talents and figured that getting paid to torch enemies of the state would be a nice set up. As expected, this laid-back attitude did not fly well with his instructors and he was eventually shown the door.

At his best, he is doggedly loyal and persistent, at his worst, he is sadistic and hot-headed. This is likely due to his sorcerous powers stemming from a Red Dragon bloodline. In Beldor, Giren finds a confidant and a mentor; he seldom judges Giren for his acts, and would almost delight in hearing of the exploits and troubles that his ward comes across. However, Giren never fully understands why his mentor is so eager to help and offer counsel where so many before had become fed up with the young, fiery sorcerer within a few days. Perhaps his master does not even fully understand it himself. But with a little insight, one might imagine that Beldor sees a bit of himself in the embattled Warmage and seeks to be for Giren what someone once was for him. Nonetheless, if asked, Beldor would say that his tutelage of Giren is a litmus by which to judge his own success. If he might mold such an archetypal sorcerer into something greater, some ideal of sorcerous potential, then certainly there is great hope for the sorcerous generations of tomorrow.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 11 2015, 23:27 PM 

Tester

A two part-er today. First: In watching the trailer for Dishonored 2 I was reminded of, well, Dishonored 1. What might a Corvo-like character resemble in our setting? There are numerous assassin and shadowy guilds that one could belong to, so creating an origin wouldn't be much of a problem. Build-wise, I'm thinking some sort of Arcane Trickster/Shadowcaster. Translating that to NWN, it might be something like Wizard/Shadowdancer/Assassin. Given that Assassin abilities work off of Intelligence and they even get a few spells, it would be pretty passable as some sort of Arcane Trickster in my opinion. However, there could be some more specific classes that more better represent his abilities, so I'm all ears to hear about those. Once you get digging through expansion books, you can find an example of just about anything when it comes to character-action protagonists and superheroes.

The Hound of the Isles Moonshae

Possible IC Apperance

I had a whole bio blurb like I did for some other concepts, but in the end figured the story is simple enough. The main idea is an Celtic-themed Blackguard who has made a pact with Unseelie Fey. The main inspirations for his mannerisms and appearance would be Guts from Berserk and Sláine, titular character of his own series and the character in the image above. The source of his power would be a pact centered around the idea of sacrifice, slaughter, and massacre for the sake of tragedy and despair. Now that is not to say he's Chaotic Stupid; on the contrary he may be quite calculating. He is an agent of fear, of loss, and despair. He might not go out of his way to punch someone's grandmother on the street, get thrown in jail, and executed. He might rather build a relationship with her, invite them over for dinner in the woods, and once the entire family was present and the children seated and the grandmother saying grace over the food, torch the cabin and lock the door behind him. The "biggest bang" is what he's after, as spreading these emotions throughout mankind is essentially what his pact requires of him. Somewhat similar to the Worthy in Marvel's Fear Itself arc(of which I have recently become a fan), he is a herald of ruin and destruction. That is not to say he could not temporarily be called to something that an outsider might mistakenly view as "good." If protecting the town from the encroaching raiders means he gets to hear their sweet cries of their deaths, then he'll do it. Just know afterwards there is an equal chance of him turning around and summarily executing the townsfolk himself, if he thought it would be particularly tragic. Then again, making sure they witness the gruesome horror of war firsthand and moving on may be enough to satisfy him. Dead men can't fear or cry out for mercy. And where's the fun in leaving no one to tell the horrible tale?

For build, Barbarian/Blackguard seems straightforward enough, with perhaps some Bard thrown in for Tumble and RP, as the traditional concept of the Bard runs deep in Gaelic/Celtic culture. I would say "Skald" flavor, but skalds are more Norse inspired. Terrifying Rage would seem fitting for obvious reasons. Barbarian's special Rages and Blackguard's Demon Flesh may be a good way to represent the warp-spasm abilities that Sláine(and originally Cu Chulainn) are famous for. While he'd obviously be Strength-based, I get the feeling that Charisma would be a nice secondary stat(if it can fit in behind Wisdom for BG spells, depending on which you wanted). Not only does Charisma add to Dark Blessing saves, it is nice in RP for a little boost to the Charisma-based stats Taunt and Intimidate. Two things you want, if your whole deal is making people fear for their lives.

As to why he came to Amia, what sparked his decent into corruption, only he could tell you. I myself had an idea, but I feel like whoever picks up this concept could probably think up just as compelling a backstory as I could.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 15 2015, 8:33 AM 

Tester

Those who walk where Shadows lie...

With all the new interest in Shadowscape, I figured I'd look through my artwork bookmarks and see if anything jumped out at me as particularly shadowy. Hopefully some of this will inspire people looking to make a concept.

The Heir

"They say I belong here. Maybe they're right. Rumor is my father called this place home. He didn't wait to see me born before he turned tail back through that rift, or so the story goes. I can't say I blame him. Of all the things Endir's Point is, glamorous is not one of them.

My mother was a fisherwoman, like most who lived out that way. When I came of age, I joined her in the business, hating every minute of it. But it kept food on the table and wood in the fireplace. As rotten work as it was, I never heard her complain. She loved the sea. And she smiled right up until the end.

Turns out she had a bit of gold saved up behind the chimney. She never got to see that "rainy day," I guess. I took the money and traveled for a bit. Moonshaes. Ruathym. I even spent a year at the Green Library, full of eggheads as it was. I picked up a trade or two and maybe even made something of myself, you might say. The world was at my fingertips...

So why in the hells am I back here? Last thing I recall was talking to a man over cider about Shadowscape and the weird things that had been happening. Then, here I was... like a dream. I could leave, I suppose. It doesn't seem like it's any harder to get outta this place than it was for dear ol' dad to get into it. But something tells me I'm supposed to be here. That, and Lenore won't stop her blasted cawing every time I try to leave. Damn bird. But she's the closest thing I got to family now... Maybe I'll see just what all the fuss is about."

Quote:
The idea I had when looking at this art was an between a sort of urban ranger and wizard. He makes his way in the city streets not with natural know-how, but with street smarts and a bit of the arcane, perhaps similar to Harry Dresden. As Ruathym has a penchant for artificers, it's likely that he would know a bit about wandcraft, as in the artwork. He'd always have a wand ready for a quick getaway or to help him out in a jam. I would place a character like this as anywhere from a wizard/rogue to bard/ranger. He's not exactly a Shadow Plane native, but perhaps some of his dad's shadowy mojo passed on to him and would allow him an affinity for something like Shadowdancer.

The Ashen Knight

"A hired killer to some, a vigilante to most, the Ashen Knight would actually think himself somewhat noble in his cause. An agent of Mask(at least in hearsay as the devout of the religion are seldom vocal), he does one thing and one thing well: kill. Aristocrats. Rivals. Adulterers. Beasts. If it bleeds, he can kill it, and if it doesn't, he'll find a way to make it.

His infamy aside, he is quite amiable when not at his work. Though no 'traditional' knights would ever dream of counting him among their ranks, he carries on in a courtly manner, bowing and kissing the hands of maidens. Some find it almost comical, until he takes offense and threatens the life of the insulter.

He claims to be the bearer of a mantle that has been passed on for many generations, though none can seem to find any record of an 'Ashen Knight' save for the past few decades. He took up residence in Shadowscape some many years ago and for a while laid low, falling into local legend. Some say he took up the path of a Horizon Walker, or alternatively that his disappearance was an untimely retirement from the business of killing altogether.

With things picking back up in the City, he surfaces once more, his talents silently offered within the darkest cloisters of the Maskarran temple. Some suggest this particular Ashen Knight is an inheritor(or even a pretender) to the legacy, appearing somewhat shorter and having a higher pitched voice than the records say. This could be due to the past accounts being stretched and warped over the years, however. All the same, this knight seems keen to make it known that his sword is just as sharp as ever–and more importantly for hire–in the bloody days to come."

Quote:
The concept here would be a knightly assassin or hired killer. Ranger with Humans, undead, magical creatures as Favored Enemies would work. Naturally, assassin levels would be in the mix as well, to add to the deadliness. While required to be Evil for the purpose of Assassin levels, he would likely have True Neutral tendencies when not doing his job. Ultimately, the artwork made me want to see an assassin that wasn't totally confined to the shadows or some sort of run-of-the-mill sneak. He is instead a master at the art of ending lives, with no particular bias towards stabbing a person in the back more so than stabbing them where it counts. When something needs to be dead, he's the one who can get it done. However it needs to be done.

Mister No-Name

"When Shadowscapers get drunk enough, one can learn of a surprising amount of folk tales from them. Between handfuls of bar nuts and pints of draft, many have heard the tale of the Men without Names.

In the time since the Academy had been founded and the art of Shadowdancing become more widespread, methods to detect those who hide within the shadows had increased as well. Flour on the floor. Strings tied to tin cans. Not to mention the long line of equipment, devices, and adventurers all tuned with hawk-like vision and the hearing of snow owls. In the wake of this constant arms-race of spotter and sneak, a singular notion crystallized in the minds of many people: you can't get caught hiding, if you're not hiding.

This is usually where the bartender would cut the local off and send an errand boy to fetch a family member to bring them home. But depending on the the night and how long it takes to drag the stumbling patron to the door, one would hear of men who can shift their bodies to fit any form. Men who craft new personas daily, like a potter molds clay, meeting in plain sight, their conversations drenched in a Cant so subtle that it is nigh impossible to tell from a mundane conversation. Men who are, well, sometimes only men for a few hours, taking the form of women whenever it pleases them or suits their needs. Or perhaps it is the inverse.

By now, the drunk has said their goodbyes and wandered off. But if one were to dig a bit deeper, eventually someone might break and spill a bit more. Some say that the Men without Names were and indeed still are very real. Among their number are only those who may take the form of another being innately, be it through natural or supernatural means. It seems Wizards are usually excluded from their ranks, for their heavy tomes are a constant about their appearance that can be recognized and a liability in the field, should they be lost. The Men without Names actually do have names some say; it is only that their names change with their mission assignments and their rank within the association. While they are to remain nameless during their initiation period, a member is expected to take on many names and personas as his time within the group continues, such to the point that he may even find himself interacting with another member in his everyday life and not ever know it. Or even odder still, have friends eagerly try to introduce him to another person that is in fact one of his many guises.

This, however, does little to explain why the Men without Names would exist at all. While many purport them to be spies, others describe them as detectives for hire, or agents working to keep enough dirt on other settlements to the point they never even imagine moving against Shadowscape. By this time, the dread word "Harper" is usually uttered, and most anyone with a lick of sense quickly becomes scarce to the scene where these tales are being discussed.

Whether you believe all this or not, Mister No-Name sure does. In fact, he believes himself to be in the initiation phase of his audition to the organization. No, he wasn't directly told so. And no, he can't be sure they are watching. After all, these folk look and operate like normal people... and are multiple people within each individual at that. How can he be sure that the bar maid winking at him isn't also the old man on the street corner who isn't also a secret member of the group judging his every action? Paranoid or not, he figures the best way to join the guild, if it exists at all, is to go about his way as if he were already a part of it. And so, he sets out for intrigue. For secrets. To prove himself worthy of becoming a Nameless Man."

Quote:
How has there never been a sneaky Shifter group? Or a Shifter faction at all? Maybe there has and they're so good at their job I've never heard of them. That is the essence of this idea: a group who use the natural and supernatural ability to take on different forms to infiltrate and gather information in plain sight. Any guard worth their salt in this era would be keen to look to the shadows for Shadowdancers. But a guard wouldn't think twice of a frolicking child or a wandering beggar. The Men without Names(if they exist) would capitalize on the idea that ultimate hiding comes from not hiding at all. Losing themselves to a multitude of personalities and personas, it becomes very difficult to ever trace one act of espionage back to one particular agent, let alone the entire organization. They could "shed their skins" with each mission, ensuring that whatever details are given about them on one night will be useless come the next.

Shifter would of course be the flagship build here, but people with the ability to Polymorph and/or Alter Self could qualify as well. Spying in plain sight would rarely ever require turning into a 20ft tall dragon or Flesh Golem. Just as long as there are no smelly wizards claiming to be natural masters of changing their shape./bias

Spirit of Rock

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:23 AM 

Player

The Prince of Thorns

Classes: Druid
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Race: Elf

"It was only once I saw him, Druidess. I was only a lad out trying to find my way back from Alcie's 'ouse, cor, what a lass she was back then- ow, all right. It's a still night, bright moon, an' the forest's all lit up silvery-like. I'm 'avin' a poke around wi' me lantern tryin' to find the path an' I hears this singin', this clear singin' like nothin' I've ever 'eard. It cut straight through me ears an' to me eyes. Afore I knew what I was nearly blind wi' tears.

I turns around and sees this figure walkin' real slow an' deliberate-like, in time wi' the music. It's lit up in this awful pale sheen like a ghost, an' I'd have run but for I was near sobbin' an' almost stuck there. It walks right past me like it can't see me, an' I sees its eyes is closed an' face is all sheened wi' tears too, this fair pale Elf wi' hair all ashimmer, an' heads right to this particular spot atwixt them two trees down by the water's edge that way, still singin'.

It waited for a while wi' its back turned, an' then reaches down to put somethin' in the ground. Then it took a deep breath, the forest felt like it sighed, an' when I came back to me senses it were gone. Took me a bit ta get meself back from the state I were in an' I didn't fancy interferin' in elf business so's I just hurried on 'ome.

Came back the next day, o' course, 'cos it were on the path to Alcie's 'ouse. Heh- ow. It'd planted a seed in the ground, I reckons, way it was disturbed. I didn't go touchin' nothin' though, I swears."

Old John did not know it was the seed that would later sprout into a dense thorn thicket over one hundred years after it was planted. A thorn thicket that would cause a child to trip and fall upon a rock during a turbulent time when relations between the Grove and its village neighbours was at its worst. Nor did he notice the slow-rot that had been deliberately placed on a nearby wooden bridge on that same night. As a consequence of these actions a conflict would eventually erupt, one costly and bloody for both sides, but one that ended in the forest eventually creeping back to reclaim the wood of those forlorn cottages, and the moss to the stones of the graves.

Learning the nuances of the Balance takes a lifetime to master. We may all find it within ourselves and act upon it, but each of us are only agents acting in a far, far greater game. The one known as the Prince of Thorns is one such agent afflicted with a terrible curse: the powerful foresight of the Elven diviners.

It is he who plants the tree that will fall; the berries which will poison; the stones that will crush and kill. It is he, too, who emerges from empty homes with bloody beast and blade when words no longer work, for it is the curbing of sentient populations with which he most often deals. Cursed, reviled and pitied by most, he is nevertheless accepted as a necessary evil throughout the Druidic communities: a harbinger of violence and death from which new peace will spring. His mournful song is borne of genuine sorrow, but it never sings of mercy.

Quote:
I thought it'd make an interesting play on an evil Druid character: someone cursed with glimpses of the long-term consequences of their actions with a focus on the evil deeds that cause them pain, but ones which are still necessary for preserving the greater balance.

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 14:39 PM 

Developer

Supacool! Only discovered this thread now, it's a fun read. What deity would the Prince serve, since don't druids have to work under a nature deity in order to cast spells? What's the powerful foresight of the Elven diviners, or is it just part of the inexplicable Elven mystique?

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Spirit of Rock

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 22 2015, 3:50 AM 

Player

Opustus wrote:
What deity would the Prince serve, since don't druids have to work under a nature deity in order to cast spells?

I believed that Silvanus would be the best choice, since he apparently deals with fighting against encroachment of wild lands, and since his alignment is True Neutral you're allowed the one-step-rule to take Neutral Evil as a divine caster clergy member. Malar might also be a choice as the only properly Evil Druidic nature deity; turning to his savage bestiary to further your aims would provide interesting interactions with other Druids, but I'm not sure his association with Werebeasts is looked upon favourably by anybody at all.

The Elven pantheon all tend towards good alignments that don't have Neutral Evil within one step, so I figured it'd be best to avoid them.

Opustus wrote:
What's the powerful foresight of the Elven diviners, or is it just part of the inexplicable Elven mystique?

On the basic level, I'd say yes to it being part of their inexplicable mystique. This part of the concept was partly sparked by the thread GolbezLunar posted with some material about the typical traits of Elves. (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83303) The fact that they are so intrinsically linked to magic and the natural world (even when they pursue classes or careers that have nothing to do with nature directly) made me believe that an Elven Druid would be the most likely of all races to receive that kind of spooky foresight about their actions. It could still work with a member of any race via divine visions or suchlike, but again, the Elves are far and away the most linked in to crazy magic, nature and the kind of empathy for life that would leave them weeping if they had to kill any other living creature.

Due to the rigid nature of the D&D alignment system, I thought that an Elven Druid planting the seed of a tree or plant which he knew would kill someone years later would count as an evil act.

His actions would be in direct opposition to a Neutral Good Druid elsewhere in the world who might be doing something to encourage the development of sentient species and inadvertently encourage the encroachment of civilised lands on wild forests in the long run. You can see what I'm getting at, though: this Evil Druid isn't acting evilly out of selfish spite or because he lolz at painz: rather because he accepts that he's just another piece in the great game of the Balance; for every good act in nature, there must be an evil one to maintain true neutrality on the global level. The kicker is that he's aware of the evil acts he commits before he commits them, and so is always afflicted by terrible remorse for the deeds he is obligated to carry out.

Still, his 'foresights' wouldn't be intended to be a reliable plot device or something to use to powergame stuff. He's just given a sense for when he needs to carry out certain actions that will ultimately benefit the balance, not to see the future whenever he poops in the woods. Progression-wise he could go in a number of directions; it's really up to whoever decides to bring him to life.

Oh, and the part about him being a 'Prince (or Princess could work too) of Thorns' was to allow for a kind of 'House of Thorns' organisation to sprout 8) around them. Their whole deal is being that same negative, evil part of nature that must deal with culling, killing and the rest of it, but they still never act in ways that alienate them from their Druidic oaths.

Opustus

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 22 2015, 13:03 PM 

Developer

It's an intriguing concept, and I'll definitely extract this file from the concept archive if I ever decide to play a druid. It's infinitely fun to make liberate and daring interpretations of these careless passages in the lorebooks; in a sense they allow you to create lore rather than just play by it, which is by far a more exciting creative process.

Some months ago I actually made a character with a similar fashion of "foresight", or in fact the Sight as per the Gur people's affliction, to tether her fate to the vestiges of her ancestors and losing herself in the process. Her Sight is "rigged" by an evil spirit, or perhaps her own delusive thoughts and primordial wants invite the spirit to get her over some rough patches. Either way, the Sight, if it ever really even was there, sets her on a trajectory she can only fathom as her fate, and by being powerless to change it, she succumbs to it. The concept of fate is entertaining because there's no need for certainty or hard evidence to explain what's happening; it neatly avoids the near compulsory omniscient narration in roleplaying. Further what I'm drawn to in your concept is the almost biblical understanding of nature's balance, that for each good there is a counterweight evil and vice versa. That's just a simplification, mind, I'm sure the truth is more nuanced and irreconcilable.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Spirit of Rock

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:25 AM 

Player

Like you say, the ability to interpret it as either the tug of inescapable destiny or just visions of possible futures is such an open-ended pot of roleplaying possibilities that it gets my nerd knees all weak. Throw in the Macbeth tragic hero(ine) following on the heels of a pretty morbid prophecy and you've got some A-grade conundrums to grapple with in terms of character development.

I really like your concept too, though; I'd never actually heard of the Gur-sight before. Trading your sense of self to tap into the well of your ancestors' past experience and having the ability to divine the future too sounds even more compelling. I wonder if they'd ever even have time to deal with the present.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 24 2015, 23:32 PM 

Player

I really like your prince of thorns. It could make a really decent druid villain in a horror setting, in the sense that he can have a good and viable point behind his horrible deeds.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next