View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 25 2015, 23:31 PM 

Player

So my idea is ...
Gold -Dragonwrought Kobold that is a Blue Chromatic Dragon disciple.
Alignment LN

Back ground fluff time~
Suggestions?

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Musashi

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 25 2015, 23:35 PM 

Player

Sounds legit.

o7

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 0:01 AM 

Player

Uh. I have no idea why a dragonwrought would even try to unlock chromatic dragon blood. They would likely feel dirty just having bluekin blood in their history.

I'm shaky on kobold lore, but it seems to me that this wouldn't happen. Kinda like a chromatic DD being Good-aligned.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Manarethan

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 0:21 AM 

Player

This isn't possible for two reasons.

Firstly, the Dragon Disciple class magically enhances and empowers the draconic bloodline in a creature. You don't pick and choose what bloodline it enhances, it just goes for the most prominent one. Even if your gold dragonwrought kobold had some blue dragon blood (incredibly unlikely), the gold will always be stronger since they're a dragonwrought, thus making gold the bloodline enhanced by the Dragon Disciple class.

Second, the Dragonwrought feat makes your character subrace 'Dragon' instead of 'Humanoid'. One of the requirements of Dragon Disciple is that your race cannot be 'dragon', making dragonwrought kobolds ineligible for the class. So the above point is largely unnecessary because it's only a hypothetical. It's impossible to make the suggested race/class combination.

Sorry! The concept isn't mechanically possible.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 0:33 AM 

Player

You make some good points Mana!
Mechanically it wouldn't be possible because Dragon-wrought marks the sub race as Dragon I believe.
Quote:
Dragonwrought

Type: General
Source: Races of the Dragon

You were born a dragonwrought kobold, proof of your race's innate connection to dragons.
Prerequisite: Kobold, 1st level only.
Benefit: You are a dragonwroughr kobold. Your type is dragon rather than humanoid, and you lose the dragonblood subtype. You retain all your other subtypes and your kobold racial traits. Your scales become tinted with a color that matches that of your draconic heritage. As a dragon, you are immune to magic sleep and paralysis effects. You have darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision. You gain a +2 racial bonus on the skill indicated for your draconic heritage on the table on page 103, Races of the Dragon.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at 1st level, during character creation. Having this feat allows you to take the Dragon Wings feat at 3rd level.

Quote:
Dragon Disciple
Requirements

To qualify to become a dragon disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race

Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon).
Skills

Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks.
Languages

Draconic.
Spellcasting

Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation.
Special

The player chooses a dragon variety when taking the first level in this prestige class.

Though Wanting to introduce more of the Kobold Lore in such a way was tempting. I think it's an interesting point and was looking for a new way to express that with some more variation.

Thanks!

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 0:35 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Uh. I have no idea why a dragonwrought would even try to unlock chromatic dragon blood. They would likely feel dirty just having bluekin blood in their history.

I'm shaky on kobold lore, but it seems to me that this wouldn't happen. Kinda like a chromatic DD being Good-aligned.

Because some times segregation is kinda ew and if you're an in-between it brings out an interesting take on a charcter that can go in various directions. I was going with the idea of 'becoming whole' or complete but It's mechanically not possible.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 1:15 AM 

Player

I wouldn't call it "segregation" as much as alignments, good, and evil-- while often expressed in different ways-- are very much a physical and tangible force in Forgotten Realms unlike real life. It doesn't always make sense, but it is how things work in there. A naturally good character shouldn't -want- to do evil things, even if doing something evil is sometimes the only way to uphold their good beliefs or achieve a good end. A lot of tragic characters occur this way.

Dragonblood, like celestial or devil blood, is inherently tied to the powers of their alignment with the one-step rule on Amia for flexibility purposes being the exception (but not the norm.)

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 1:24 AM 

Player

Mercedes wrote:
I wouldn't call it "segregation" as much as alignments, good, and evil-- while often expressed in different ways-- are very much a physical and tangible force in Forgotten Realms unlike real life. It doesn't always make sense, but it is how things work in there. A naturally good character shouldn't -want- to do evil things, even if doing something evil is sometimes the only way to uphold their good beliefs or achieve a good end. A lot of tragic characters occur this way.

Dragonblood, like celestial or devil blood, is inherently tied to the powers of their alignment with the one-step rule on Amia for flexibility purposes being the exception (but not the norm.)

I'm having trouble finding citation for that-Can you show me what FR lore states this for dragon blood?

Broldi

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 1:33 AM 

Player

Chromatic and Metallic carry traits. At a simple point, Metallic is good, noble, etc. Chromatic is evil, violent, etc.

DDs perform rituals that embody them with their most prominent bloodline.

There's no choosing between bloodlines.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 2:50 AM 

Player

You can check Monsters of Faerun 3.5 Edition to see the parent dragon lineage, based on type, is [Always (Alignment)], and the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm) for some quick-reference material. It's the norm that, whenever you grow closer to your parent ancestral heritage of Celestial/Fiend/Dragon background you begin to take on physical features as well as their behaviors and alignment, because they are forces outright expressed physically in the setting. Paladins can outright conjure up pure force of Good and slap someone with it for bonus damage if you don't act a certain way the majority of the time. Divine Champions can work the other side of the spectrum, evil or good, through the Law-Chaos measure. It's quite similar to why you need to be a certain alignment to follow certain gods, or items/spells have a component or requirement that features alignment in a very real way. Despite the different ways a mortal might express it, there are certain magical creatures that are innately good or innately evil, even if it doesn't appeal to our real-world sensibilities.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 2:53 AM 

Player

Broldi wrote:
Chromatic and Metallic carry traits. At a simple point, Metallic is good, noble, etc. Chromatic is evil, violent, etc.

Closet I can find is the SRD:
Quote:
Dragon, True

The known varieties of true dragons (as opposed to other creatures that have the dragon type) fall into two broad categories: chromatic and metallic. The chromatic dragons are black, blue, green, red, and white; they are all evil and extremely fierce. The metallic dragons are brass, bronze, copper, gold, and silver; they are all good, usually noble, and highly respected by the wise.

Monster Manual 1 states dragons as 'always alignments'. But alignments seem to be a bad descriptor to define a character in detail.

Quote:
Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.
Mr. Gibbs: We figured they were more actual guidelines.

Dragon Creation lore doesn't state them to have been made evil incarnate but to be physical manifestation of aspects of character which can be considered, arguably,good or bad with the end goal for them to mix and meld to achieve a perfect balance. Designed as all parts to a whole.

I have taken this as a manner of viewing some specific traits to give a character that highlight not just one but two sets of personality traits that may or may not be conflicting towards one another causing some internal turmoil in search of that perfect balance.
But that delves more in to Ethos and morals.

Due to the mechanical constrictions I see why my original idea wouldn't have worked but boy would it have been amazing considering the lore.

Though there are no mechanical limitation to alignment for Dragon wrought, and no mechanical alignment stipulations for Dragon disciples it seems that Amia specific lore of being with in one step of your dragons alignment adds some form of limitations.

Though unfortunately, there is nothing implied that the rituals awaken the strongest blood- They seem to be able to do rituals to awaken a specific type of blood- but it seems much easier to just go with what you have most in you! ;3

Musashi

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:07 AM 

Player

Manarethan wrote:
Even if your gold dragonwrought kobold had some blue dragon blood (incredibly unlikely)

But every Kobold as per the normal Io Creation Lore (and validated by proxy of Dragonwrought Kobolds even existing) is a mixture of the original Ten True Dragons, so the Gold Dragonwrought would still have Blue in them. As much as they'd have Black, White, Red, Green, Bronze, Brass, Copper, and Silver. Dat mixing pot! Dragonwrought are just a genetic manifestation of those original bloods, or a respark of that original divine creation magic for both the original Ten True Dragons and Kobolds. However the DM handling the story wants to explain it. Primarily one, but still blooded to them all.

Manarethan wrote:
Second, the Dragonwrought feat makes your character subrace 'Dragon' instead of 'Humanoid'. One of the requirements of Dragon Disciple is that your race cannot be 'dragon', making dragonwrought kobolds ineligible for the class. So the above point is largely unnecessary because it's only a hypothetical. It's impossible to make the suggested race/class combination.

Sorry! The concept isn't mechanically possible.

Ah! Neat, thanks Mana'. I'd forgotten Dragon Disciple had that requirement in Paper and Pencil. Good catch! <3

Musashi

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:34 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:

Dragonwrought actually have no influence from their Draconic Bloodline due to the feat. <3 I'd imagine it due to the fact they actually still have the blood of the remaining 9 Original Ten True Dragons, so it sort of balances them out. They just get pretty! And maybe wings. And also Immunity to Sleep and Paralysis. And the adoration of their Kin for being awesome.

Mercedes wrote:

Truth! These Planar and Aspect Focused Bloodlines are very tied to their alignments. Of course, Alignment is a very broad concept in of itself~ Often seen as a Guideline that should be referred to to help decide how one moves in each action taken. It's not specifically the action that should be taken every choice.

Instead, especially when it comes to creatures whom the alignment is embedded into their blood instead of by rearing, it should be something that weighs on every action. Doesn't mean it should dictate every action.

Example!

The Draconomicon, a source book that explicitly states it can and should be used for the Forgotten Realms campaign, states:

Draconomicon Page 42 wrote:
Bronze dragons wage a constant struggle against evil sea
creatures, particularly ones that menace the coasts, such as
sahuagin, merrow, and scrags. They sometime find them-
selves with black or green dragons for neighbors. While the
bronzes are content to live and let live, the evil dragons are
seldom willing to return the favor.

These Lawful Good creatures are indeed driven to do good things. They act good in their home environment, fighting against evil sea creatures that threaten its habitation.

On the other hand, it is not driven to blood-lusting violence against even it's Chromatic Neighbors! <3 Lawful Good, not Lawful Stupid or Lawful Violence. ;D

Broldi wrote:

Sadly with that, it really depends on the DM staff how they want to enforce Dragon Disciple lore. No where is it stated in books that you can or cannot select a unique bloodline from your heritage. Often I've seen it that the rituals require you to specifically perform actions that invoke a specific bloodline. Maybe Kindness as a Bronze. Zealotry as a Gold. Violence as a White. Quick, Calculated acts of Evil as a Black. Greed as a Red. Trickery and Jest as a Copper. Long, ear-bleeding chatting as a Brass. <3 You get the picture.

In that thought, you'd be 'selecting' whatever bloodline you 'choose', because you have to explicitly invoke That blood through the specific rituals and activities. You're obviously not going to invoke the blood of a Peaceful Silver by Murdering things En-Masse.

Mercedes wrote:
You can check Monsters of Faerun 3.5 Edition to see the parent dragon lineage, based on type, is [Always (Alignment)], and the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm) for some quick-reference material. It's the norm that, whenever you grow closer to your parent ancestral heritage of Celestial/Fiend/Dragon background you begin to take on physical features as well as their behaviors and alignment, because they are forces outright expressed physically in the setting. Paladins can outright conjure up pure force of Good and slap someone with it for bonus damage if you don't act a certain way the majority of the time. Divine Champions can work the other side of the spectrum, evil or good, through the Law-Chaos measure. It's quite similar to why you need to be a certain alignment to follow certain gods, or items/spells have a component or requirement that features alignment in a very real way. Despite the different ways a mortal might express it, there are certain magical creatures that are innately good or innately evil, even if it doesn't appeal to our real-world sensibilities.

That sort of then hits the definition of Alignment again. I don't think anyone here is arguing that dragons are Undeniably their specified alignments. It's just what Alignment means in a Roleplay sense. It's not the per-determined dictation of actions, but instead that guideline. It should weigh on a character, Dragon or Not, that they may act according to or against their Alignment.

A Good creature would have some sort of Stress while committing an Act that could be considered 'Evil'.
And vice versa, an Evil creature would likely have some sort of Stress while committing an Act that could be considered 'Good'.

Also, this seems a lot of talk about a silly little joke character thought. <3 I thought it was cute, but Mana' quickly showed us all it physically doesn't work by Mechanics due to the Dragonwrought being a 'Dragon' now, thus ineligible for Dragon Disciple.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 4:17 AM 

Player

I'm not saying Alignments are a perfect idea. You can go ahead and utilize the search function to find: Non-evil Assassins, Lawful Bards, Unlawful Monks, and other such things we've taken a hard stance on for a variety of lore and balance reasons. The simple fact of the matter is that, (as I have expressed before and also within this very thread)despite mortal interpretations and applications of them, alignments are tangible forces in the forgotten realms universe.

While a chromatic dragon is Always: Good in some variation, no one here or elsewhere has said they're Always: Violent. That's reading into what people are saying about alignment and refuting a null-point that wasn't made. A good dragon is far more likely to find a peaceful solution to a dispute with an evil dragon (who is MORE likely but not required to be violent) but it doesn't mean they're going to be friends. A peaceful solution could go about a large variety of ways but one must still take into considerations the natural inclination of the creature the character is-- or is becoming more like.

Draconic features through the RDD class are expressed through "ritual" which are not well outlined in lore, so we have given players a large avenue they might explore for expressing their dormant bloodlines. You don't become more like a red dragon and express the bloodline by being nice to people-- you can be nice to people! But it's doing nothing for connecting with your racial heritage you're actively trying to bring out. Whether its Dragonkin, Tieflings, or Aasimar, special creatures such as these must actively work towards taking that trace of ancient power and building it into something great, such as growing giant wings where the potential for growth had not existed before. Scales, breathing fire, sheathed in light, or gargantuan horns-- these are traits given by the blood of the ancestors, and are brought forth by becoming more like them and not being a statistical outlier.

Alignment is a broad and sometimes flawed concept, but the way we treat it means a Tiefling can't grow big devil wings through his actions if he's out donating to charities, saving babies, or just out practicing professed neutrality with a couple of druids. These things are fine character traits for a tiefling to have (and can sometimes be more interesting) but it's not growing any wings or horns for him. That would be that there fiend blood, and Dragonic traits work similarly.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 4:47 AM 

Player

Mercedes wrote:
A good dragon is far more likely to find a peaceful solution to a dispute with an evil dragon (who is MORE likely but not required to be violent)

I agree completely.

Musashi

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 26 2015, 4:59 AM 

Player

Mercedes wrote:
That's reading into what people are saying about alignment and refuting a null-point that wasn't made.

Just a reply so it's not left on a sour note. <3

Didn't mean to come off like that~ I just wanted to tangent on a topic that was brought up~ Since the thoughts on Alignment are often viewed with great discrepancy. Just wanted to know everyone's opinion on the matter.

Sorry if I seemed confrontational in any manner. I'm just really enthusiastic when it comes to moral quandaries. <3

Thank you for your input, then! It was a very informative piece, especially to hear that from a DM.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]