View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Fri, May 29 2015, 22:41 PM 

Player

Okay, so this is revisiting an old concept touched on by Murkoph and Luckbringer here. I love the idea of the Tuernish Viking. I friggen love Vikings. They're awesome, but I've run into some problems, I've being the fact that they dying user magic of any sort or worship any gods save for the Red Dragons in the mountains. All this is referenced below.

Quote:
TUERNISH
The isolated folk of Tuern worship no gods (and argue that none exist) and tolerate no magic-users in their midst, but give tribute to the red dragons of the mountains. They try to enslave all non-Northmen and, when visiting other lands, deface temples of the gods. They sail long ships big enough to house giants (which they often do), with figureheads that depict fierce warriors. Most have crews of over 100 warriors.

Quote:
Tuern
Government: Five Northman kings, who recognize High King Threlked Ironfist of Uttersea as liege.
Largest Settlement: Uttersea (2,000)
Economy: Whaling, fishing, farming, diamond and admantite mining (which the Tuernish do not have the ability to refine or use in their own weapons).
Militia: Each king has 1d3 longships, crewed by 50 warrior/archers.

Tuern is a rocky, but fertile land of black beaches and seething volcanoes. Conditions are harder on Tuern than on many of the other outer islands, but the Northmen here are among the wealthiest in the North. The island’s vulcanism produces two great treasures, huge diamonds and the valuable ore from which adamantite is refined (pure adamantite is magically alloyed with iron to create
+5 weapons and armor). This same geothermal activity creates a perfect home for fire giants and red dragons in the crevass called Flame Fault. The giants here are sea rovers who sail gargantuan long ships, but rarely raid farther east than Gundarlun.

So to that effect, I'm wondering how tolerant a Tuernish Raider might be of the idea of using magic items. +4 swords, enchanted armor, equipment made from the adamantite they mine, and things like that. What I'm really wondering is if they would, on our setting, take a more pragmatic approach to their raiding or simply face extinction because of how widely accessible magic is even in places like rauthym where they literally hunt magic users who work for them as witches? Or would a character like this die because of their inherent superstition? And aversion to magic? I guess the real question is this: does our setting compromise or is it strict to a bottom line?

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, May 29 2015, 23:37 PM 

Player

My god, FR is awfully crowded. How many sets of vikings do we need in one Fantasy Europe?!

What exactly would be the endgame here anyway? Playing one or a few Tuernish vikings with a very particular and aggressive mindset seems like it can only go a few ways. Straight PvP would go as well as the Thayans did. Sea raiding sounds like a fun idea but requires a DM committing to it. Playing outcasts that do regular Amia stuff and reference their days of hanging out with fire giants and red dragons is fine and dandy I suppose, but is that enough to warrant a for-convenience lore change (when such consideration is not offered for Ruathym's superstition)? Maybe I'm missing something but it just sounds like there isn't a lot of meat here. Especially with all the other viking-like peoples (Luskans, Uthgardies, Brog dwarves in a way, various other mainlandy northmen, Rashemen, Narfell, Ruathym...)

I'm assuming Wiltun isn't viking enough for you as they seem to have advanced towards Normandy era/Danelaw, what about the Jarldom of Nerth? They're the most savage of the jarldoms of Ruathym, straining under the ruling thumb of the First Axe (last I heard of the lore that is, BoB can fill you in on more). May have enough longships for that piratical culture that sets vikings apart from other norsefolk. Plus they've got ties to current and a major upcoming plot, as well as ties to existing areas of the module. Maybe it's not your thing, but just thought I'd punt it forward for consideration.

@Thanatopsis#6293

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Sat, May 30 2015, 6:20 AM 

Player

Well my stance on the lore (whether or not it is a feasable concept to echo Serbiris' point on raiding) is that they would not be adverse to using +5 weapons and such since gear like that is not always obviously magical, they just distain magic users i.e spell casters or those who dabble in the arts. Fire giants are renowned smiths who probably provide them with decent gear.

Then again the orginal post you linked so asking whether these islands actually exist in the Amia setting, which they may not, but it was yet to be answered by the DMs. If they don't exist it doesn't mean you can't make a bad ass viking character.

Another idea to add would be to make one hailing from Brog. There is a northman settlement there (and now put fully into the mod) which Amarice oversees. The Bluebear tribe first introduced by Silent during the dwarfs winterwar. The was a small alt beginnings set around them which produced some awesome northman characters, I remember Great Pigeon's well and his heroic death in the heat of battle to save Barak Runedar. I don't know of any active PCs anymore but its there for the picking. And is a great why to interact in the Brog/Dorf rp without having to roll a dwarf. They have war chiefs, longboats, mead halls, buxum females and all that viking jazz... Basically a fully functional viking sandbox to start playing in.

Murkoph

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 02 2015, 16:17 PM 

Player

Having at this point ICly visited one of the islands mentioned in that original thread without issue or eyebrows raised? They seem to be there, just forgotten.

If you want to be Tuernish I don't think anyone's really going to stop you. But if you want to be safe and be Tuernish try doing something along the lines of playing a relative of one of the kings who rule Tuern or what have you. Frame it as a request to play a Noble and it'll certainly get attention for confirmation pretty quick-ish.

Jannah Vindle - Mistress of Coin.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]