View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
davis114

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 09 2015, 16:40 PM 

Player

I need a little help fleshing out this concept. I do believe the character will be straight human. I considered the Damaran subrace, but I don't think I'd like the character to be lawful. I know that's not mandatory on a Damaran, but nothing about the Damaran society really fits into this character.

I'm thinking a sailor, obviously. Domains are a bit tricky. Probably Water and Air, but I could be swayed toward protection. Possibly.

I'll work out the build on my own, but since Priests of Valkur don't wear armor, it will either need to be dex based or full on caster.

So therein lie my questions. Would Damaran fit a character like this? I'm leaning toward no, or at least not as well as a normal human.

Would Dex based or caster fit a cleric of Valkur better? I'm leaning toward Dex based, since clerics of Valkur are generally sailors, and know all about walking on ships and getting around in the rigging.

I've never made a cleric, nor have I ever done much of anything with Valkur. Thoughts?

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 09 2015, 16:50 PM 

Player

I can't help you with the concept because I don't know much about Valkur or Damaran. But why don't you do a Wisdom based Cleric? Let me narrow that down more specifically. Evocation based caster with Wisdom maxed. Take Zen-Archery that way when your Evocation spells run out you have enough AB from Wisdom to do some final damage. It will also max out your Will to the best because your maxing Wisdom.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 09 2015, 17:24 PM 

Player

I appreciate the reply, but I'll talk over all that in the build forum if I need to discuss it. I don't think the actual build will be much of an issue for me, though. I really need more help with the concept itself. Namely, which direction best fits a cleric of Valkur.

I can see both working, really. And if that's the case, I suppose it would be my personal preference that would specify which direction I'd go. Valkur has some minor martial tendencies and friendships in the Pantheon, so I'm thinking some martial skill would be a must. Especially for a successful sailor. The rogue could emulate that, namely with dagger weapon focuses, or something similar.

But a sailor could easily make up for that lack of martial prowess with the spells from the Water and Air domains. Those spells would be incredibly useful on any ship. Especially Control Weather. (Which I understand is a PnP spell, so if I were to ever use it, the rules on PnP spells would apply. Possibly even a 10% fail chance due to Valkur's propensity to ignore his followers.)

MoshingChris wrote:

joe15552

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 09 2015, 19:31 PM 

Player

mmmm, just looked this up for the first time, and I'm imagining a cleric of Valkur would walk and talk like your average superstitious sailor.... except that it wouldn't be superstitious, it would be the truth. It would be fun to look up old superstitions of sailors and find ways to manifest them on Amia through your cleric.

As far as stats go, dex based clerics are very rare, which is a little surprising, since they are pretty darn good. At any rate, any cleric with at least 20 base wisdom in epic levels is gonna be good, and you can get that easily with 15 starting wis.

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 09 2015, 20:09 PM 

Player

After talking with Opustus, I think dex is the way to go. Just fits the character.

Now you've got me interested in sailor superstitions, though. Take whistling, for example. That's considered bad luck on a ship. Something along the lines of challenging the wind's strength.

But a cleric of Valkur could say that whistling on a ship challenges Umberlee's strength, and that's why it brings about bad luck. A particularly brazen one would encourage whistling, claiming that Valkur's strength would protect the ship from Umberlee's wrath.

A cleric could even use whistling to use Control Weather, instead of invoking. That would be neat. And then killing dolphins! Sailors call that bad luck. That could be because dolphins are a sign that Valkur is near, and clerics of Valkur can even speak with dolphins. So killing one would naturally anger Valkur.

Interesting!

MoshingChris wrote:

joe15552

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 09 2015, 20:59 PM 

Player

so.... if you roleplay that way, you know your character is gonna steal all the ladies.... right?

davis114

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 0:58 AM 

Player

Integral part of the roleplay, yes.

MoshingChris wrote:

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 4:01 AM 

Player

From what I know of Damara, a Damaran sailor would be quite rare and more so a priest of Valkur. I suppose this due to Damara being a landlocked region in the northeast of Faerun. Only large body of water being the Great Glacier on its northen boarder but thats a great frozen hunk of water. Damarans are known as hardy farmers, miners and traders. So that being that I won't say there would be much of a maritime tradition there, enough to attract a church of Valkur.

However, it doesn't mean that your character couldn't be of Damaran origin. He would just have to have something in his background which made him leave Damara to pursue a life at sea and devoting his life to a sea god.

serbiris

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 10:05 AM 

Player

There are a few things that I feel are important questions to consider when building a cleric. How did they find the faith? Why did they get involved in the clergy? As a member, what do they focus on? Obviously here your domains come into play, so if you're picking Water and Air you're going for mastery of the elements. But to what end? Is the character in any way politically motivated, ie his homeland is involved in a war (cold or otherwise) and he's boosting them by boosting the ships/protecting the sailors? Is he only trying to protect the passengers against the elements, regardless of politics? Or, perhaps he's more of a daredevil/explorer, using his powers to enable sailing where no man has sailed before. With your domains arrayed with a more elemental focus rather than taking Protection, it would suggest he is more actively enforcing his will on the environment, or directly battling the elements. There's something you can use there, IMO.

It's important to remember that in order to have shipboard RP you're going to have to get involved with a fair-sized group of players in order to justify DM attention for maximum enjoyment. Luckily because it' an islandy region there is no shortage of cities/factions with boat access :D

Anyway, you've probably considered much of what I said and figured out more or less what you want to do, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

@Thanatopsis#6293

davis114

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 13:59 PM 

Player

Quote:
DOGMA: There is nothing more invigorating than challenging the elements. The feel of wind and spray on one's face and the deck pitching beneath one's feet is the greatest feeling in the world. If humankind is to expand its reach, daring men and women must defy the odds and dare the impossible. The thrill of exploration is sweeter than wine or rum. There is always risk, but without risk life is empty. Life is to be lived and damn the consequences. One's loyalties are first to one's mates, then to one's ship, and then to Valkur, who protects all sailors. Rely not on Valkur's hand to always extract you from difficulties, for such is coddling and leads to a lack of challenge and the room to grow. Rather, Valkur helps those actively solving their own problems by helping their plans work.

That's why I chose Air and Water.

I do agree that clerics of Valkur would be rare in Damara. Especially since he's a Chaotic deity. It wouldn't really be a big stretch to see one come from Aglarond, though, and that's generally the same subrace. There are plenty of humans in Aglarond of Damaran descent, especially considering the years of war Damara went through.

I really don't think I'll be using any subrace, however. That one was just the only one that somewhat fit, in my mind.

MoshingChris wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]