View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
joe15552

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 13 2015, 0:39 AM 

Player

I guess I'm a little bit of a surface elf noob, but I am having a difficult time figuring out the source of internal conflict for surface elves, in particular, Sun Elves. It may seem like common sense to a lot of you, but I guess I am asking for a little bit of an inspirational brain storm here to get me moving in the right direction.

I want to make a Sun Elf (not necessarily a wizard, but will prolly have wizard levels), I want his/her alignment to be Chaotic Good, and I want him/her to worship Corellon Larethian, or one of the other Seldarine. Why Sun Elf? Cause they have the most interesting history to me fraught with external conflict and long periods of peace tranquility, they are civilized, and they live a long time. Why chaotic good? It's complex and interesting. Why the Seldarine? I like their portfolios and their lore.

So... I really have no idea what kind of internal conflict an individual Sun Elf would be having... Anyone got an example or idea that can help?

Alaria-

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 13 2015, 8:55 AM 

Player

Sun Elves are often very proud and may consider themselves to be the true defenders of Elven faith. In extreme cases, this may even make them look down on other elves let alone the non-elves. Maybe your Sun elf was born of a family with rather extreme views in that regard, yet does not share them himself and wants to break away from it?

This is all related to the rather touchy subject of Elven purity which you will find in many elven cultures. Some (usually Moon Elves) are very tolerant towards other races.
On the other end however, there exists a group of elves known as the Eldreth Veluuthra(clicky) who strive to inflict as much harm to humans as possible, for example. Not all elves support them, let alone openly, yet there are elven families who do secretly fund them through coin and other valuables that they might need to support their cause.

I used the "Elven purity" thing before for one of my characters and I liked it very much. Maybe that's something you'd wish to incorporate into your proud Sun Elf somehow or his family?

joe15552

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 13 2015, 9:56 AM 

Player

That helps a lot. I'm getting there. The main reason why I'm asking is I get bored with characters that have no internal conflict. I need something within my character to keep them up and running without the help of outside conflict.

The idea of a "true" defender of the faith may help me, since "truth" can be convoluted by individuals. Maybe I can find something in elven faith that my character believes in strongly, but is unable to completely succeed in doing, in his own eyes. Or maybe the other way around, maybe there is something he completely disagrees with, but goes through the motions on a daily basis, causing an internal struggle.

Spirit of Rock

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 06 2015, 22:50 PM 

Player

Sun Elves are often said to be the haughtiest and most distant of all Elves, and I believe it's partially to do with the way Elves are so vulnerable to emotion. As an example, their skills in art are held in such high regard across the land for both the centuries they can use to hone their craft, and the fact that strong emotions can take a human lifetime or longer to be dealt with. By teaching and maintaining a sense of detachment and rigid self-control you can deny powerful emotions the ability to rule your head, and can refine and perfect courtly graces and the incisive intellect that Sun Elves value so highly. I always see the typical Sun Elf adventurer as a tireless, proud and perhaps humourless perfectionist of their chosen path, whatever it may be.

But as an adventuring Sun Elf, perhaps young or leaving home for the first time, exploring the lengths to which your character can maintain that control might be an interesting source of internal conflict. Will they become even more callous and emotionally unavailable in the face of adversity to protect themselves, even as they pursue the cause of The Greater Good? Will the strain of dealing with less upstanding Elves and.. god forbid, humans and dwarves... become too much and cause them to crack with potentially disastrous consequences? Will they fog it all off and become a reclusive alcoholic hedonist who speaks in the most beautiful verse, but only to the deaf Sunite who they pay to massage their toes? Who knows, or dares to dream...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]